Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 LIONS DRAFT THREAD!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 59, 60, 61  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
X_Factor_40 wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
bigc421 wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
The more I think about it, the more open I'd be to drafting De'Anthony Thomas. We could rotate him and Bush at RB and in the slot and Thomas could take over return duties as well. Thomas isn't that bad as a pure runner either and has pretty good receiving skills.

In the 1st? No thank you
I prefer trading up from our 2 to get him. Or trading out of the 1st to get him.

The Lions have too many holes to trade back and spend their first pick of the draft on him. I would be upset.
well ideally most or all holes would be filled by the time the draft rolls around. With the way the cap is looking, we may have some spending money (not too much though). It helps that we don't have too many FA's. Besides, trading back would allow us to fill more holes, so I don't see the problem there.

And, my reasoning for it, is that Bush seems to be not that great of a runner, but he is a pretty good receiver (Stafford needs to stop throwing it high to him though). If we could add DAT into the backfield, we could move Bush to the slot (which is a need with Broyles being a walking ACL tear). A lineup with Bush, DAT, Calvin, hopefully Pettigrew, and one of Bell, Fauria, Durham, maybe Burleson, maybe another draft pick or FA addition would be a nightmare for opposing defenses.

I prefer to add a high end #2, but if we can win some games and hopefully do well in the playoffs, we might play our way out of a top #2 WR. If that's the case, I'm not opposed to adding a good slot player.

don't forget about DAT's great return abilities as well.

In an ideal world every team would go into the draft with their needs filled and be able to draft pure BPA. But, that's never the case. The Lions won't be able to fill every need before the draft via FA. It's just not possible. Beyond that, the Lions can't keep taking luxury picks. They spent a first round pick on LeShoure and it didn't work out. They went out and brought Bush in via FA and he's been great. It just doesn't make sense to go out and take another guy that basically plays the same position as Bush with their first pick when they have holes at several positions of more importance.

How has Bush not been a good runner? He's averaging 4.5 yards per carry on 145 attempts for 654 yards. Bush has caught 36 passes, and in contrast Bell has 30 receptions. It's not like Reggie bush is a WR playing the RB position. He's a RB, he's been doing it well, and they paid him to do so.

I don't believe in taking luxury picks such as DAT while you have so many other holes to fill. Can you do it? Yes, but I don't agree with it, and I don't think Mayhew would do it. I'd do it in Madden, but not in real life. They need to get a #2 WR via FA or the draft, and they need to put some resources into the defense so they can start winning close games.
Louis Friend

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My top 5 needs are CB, WR, C, OLB, K.

People might riot if we take a WR in the 1st rd, but I really like this draft class for WRs.

Sig by Smack

2014 ADOPT-A-LION: DEVIN TAYLOR
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louis Friend wrote:
My top 5 needs are CB, WR, C, OLB, K.

People might riot if we take a WR in the 1st rd, but I really like this draft class for WRs.
Im not so sure I'd list OLB as a need. Levy is obviously a keeper, and Palmer is great in his role. The 3rd LB doesn't need to be that good in coverage because he'll be playing the run most of the time.

Only 2 ways I could see our main LB's being changed. 1, we draft Ryan Shazier to play OLB in base packages and staying in with Levy in nickel packages, but this would diminish Tulloch's value so he'd likely be traded with Palmer moving inside in base packages. Or 2, we draft a DE/OLB hybrid (think Khalil Mack, Vic Beasely, Christian Jones) and keep him in coverage in base packages and blitz him fairly frequently, and then in nickel take out our LE (for an additional DB) and blitz him or put him on the line at LE.
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Eric Ebron
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: Martin Mayhew

R.I.P. Stylish
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Palmer has been solid, but he can be upgraded. I think OLB is a need, just not a super high priority. Here is how I would rank them. This strictly counts who is under contract next year.

OC
WR
CB
TE
DE

I am fine resigning Raiola, especially on a likely team friendly deal.

I think we need more weapons to throw to. Either a better pass catching TE and a WR. I'm still iffy on Grew, depending on what he asks for. He has been better the second half of the year but he isn't a game changer at all. I like Fauria but he obviously needs to block better and I would assume learn to run more routes.

I know our D line looked good today, but their o line was beat up and we were playing Matt Flynn. Our pass rush has been very average most of the year and I wouldn't mind another top pick on and DE. Keep Willie and Taylor as depth but another stud would complete our line.

Adopt-A-Lion - Larry Warford, OG as in Original Gangsta
theuntouchable

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want a #1 CB over anything at this point. Houston did well his first couple years here but I really think hes better off as a #2 and I do not see Slay being a #1.

MathMan wrote:
anyone around?

I feel..so cold.
Rockcity

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still the same for me..

CB-they need to find a one period.sometime in my life time would be nice

WR-woukd really consider about tripling up here

S- for me I'd like to at least have 3 good safties.I'd rather run 3 safties than 3 lbers

DE-They all don't need to be hugh..looking for an edge guy

DT- I don't trust fairley need depth

I just wanna see a few new cbs and wrs really withOL and DL depth with S with ballskills is that to much to ask
DrRay11

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the Lions' long-term answer at either LG or C is already there with Rodney Austin. Interesting that they signed him off the practice squad so he couldn't go to another team.

I think RG/RT is already done so long as we can keep Warford and Waddle under contract.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrRay11 wrote:
I wonder if the Lions' long-term answer at either LG or C is already there with Rodney Austin. Interesting that they signed him off the practice squad so he couldn't go to another team.

I think RG/RT is already done so long as we can keep Warford and Waddle under contract.

Warford is here for at least 2 more years I think. Not sure what Waddle signed for.

I kind of thought the same thing about Austin, they never sign people off the PS to keep them around. Would be nice if they feel he can take over for Raiola next year or the year after.

Adopt-A-Lion - Larry Warford, OG as in Original Gangsta
mijags

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I think about it, I would be perfectly ok if mayhew picked up jace amaro in the 1st......dude is a stud...
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mijags wrote:
The more I think about it, I would be perfectly ok if mayhew picked up jace amaro in the 1st......dude is a stud...
Definitely. Him and Ebron are both really good TE prospects.

R.I.P. Stylish
iLovetheLions

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im just going to say it, I want darqueze dennard, id take him in the first

Sllim Pickens wrote:
There should be a thread for UM fans and GB fans to sit and talk about how amazing their teams are with each other.
DrRay11

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iLovetheLions wrote:

Probably the only corner I'd take in the first right now (assuming he tests reasonably well).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrRay11 wrote:
iLovetheLions wrote:

Probably the only corner I'd take in the first right now (assuming he tests reasonably well).

ive heard that hes top 3 fastest on the team, that said no one on msu is a absolute speed freak, however i could see him in the mid to high 4.4s which is plenty fast. The 3 things i absolutely love about him is he always gets his head turned back for the football, hes a great tackler, and hes experienced in a variety of schemes including press man

Sllim Pickens wrote:
There should be a thread for UM fans and GB fans to sit and talk about how amazing their teams are with each other.
duanegarrison09

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
TE is going to be a need with Scheff gone and Pettigrew contract nearing end.

Is it really going to be a need? I'm not sure. If Pettigrew decides to re-sign for a reasonable amount, I don't see it being a need. If he walks, we've still got Williams, who seems to have the blocking and short-yardage skillset.

I'm not entirely concerned with TE.
Eh, I still wouldn't be comfortable.

My preferred plan at TE:

Sign Pettigrew to a deal similar to the one Delmas signed. Make him prove his worth if he wants to have a future on this team. Draft a TE like Ebron, Sefarian-Jenkins, or Fiedorowicz that way we can have a top level TE to go along with Pettigrew. Keep Fauria on the roster and use him on a role where he wont have to block that much since he is a god awful blocker. Utilize him heavily in the redzone. Keep Williams on the PS to develop.

Best case scenario Pettigrew proves his worth, Fauria is a great receiving option at TE and we have a top level TE.

Worst case scenario the TE busts, Pettigrew can't catch, Fauria continues to suck at blocking, and Williams can't earn his way off the PS

realistic scenario the TE turns out pretty good, Pettigrew continues to be talented but inconsistent, Fauria continues to be a good redzone option but never becomes a good blocker, and Williams never amounts to anything with us because of the talent ahead of him.

Williams has never been on the PS............he has been out all year on IR.
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duanegarrison09 wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
TE is going to be a need with Scheff gone and Pettigrew contract nearing end.

Is it really going to be a need? I'm not sure. If Pettigrew decides to re-sign for a reasonable amount, I don't see it being a need. If he walks, we've still got Williams, who seems to have the blocking and short-yardage skillset.

I'm not entirely concerned with TE.
Eh, I still wouldn't be comfortable.

My preferred plan at TE:

Sign Pettigrew to a deal similar to the one Delmas signed. Make him prove his worth if he wants to have a future on this team. Draft a TE like Ebron, Sefarian-Jenkins, or Fiedorowicz that way we can have a top level TE to go along with Pettigrew. Keep Fauria on the roster and use him on a role where he wont have to block that much since he is a god awful blocker. Utilize him heavily in the redzone. Keep Williams on the PS to develop.

Best case scenario Pettigrew proves his worth, Fauria is a great receiving option at TE and we have a top level TE.

Worst case scenario the TE busts, Pettigrew can't catch, Fauria continues to suck at blocking, and Williams can't earn his way off the PS

realistic scenario the TE turns out pretty good, Pettigrew continues to be talented but inconsistent, Fauria continues to be a good redzone option but never becomes a good blocker, and Williams never amounts to anything with us because of the talent ahead of him.

Williams has never been on the PS............he has been out all year on IR.
I know. If you're referring to the bold, that's a future scenario where he is eligible for the PS.

R.I.P. Stylish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 59, 60, 61  Next
Page 12 of 61

Jump to: