Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Kansas City Chiefs vs Denver Broncos GDT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
valkrei


Joined: 10 Apr 2008
Posts: 4559
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trick play where Alex ran was a Gem, hope to see that play again. Maybe at the 25 yard line and in for TD.
_________________


Props to Loto Tailback for the SIG!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chiefsfan13084


Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Posts: 1666
Location: Boise City, OK
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

valkrei wrote:
Trick play where Alex ran was a Gem, hope to see that play again. Maybe at the 25 yard line and in for TD.


Ya that play fooled everyone. The camera man even followed JC for a second. I was getting mad at first that we got stuffed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bigschmadt00


Moderator
Joined: 17 Dec 2008
Posts: 10897
Location: 500 miles East of Sack City!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if part of the reason our WR's dropped some of these balls was not being used to running these routes and the ball actually being thrown deep.

Ryk made a thread about how we were essentially playing opossum all season in preparation for "when we'd need" (paraphrasing) in a game like this past week. Well, sure enough, we certainly did a lot more downfield passing, but we also simply couldn't convert most of them.

I truly believe a large part of what makes a team successful is how "Automatic" it is for the guys on the field. How much can they just react, instead of thinking? If you are not practiced in throwing deep outs, or knowing the Alex would throw back shoulder due to the rotating safety in coverage, instead of inside where it would normally be placed, then it's very hard to consistently convert these types of plays.

Whether it was intentional or not, waiting to start going down field was a mistake. Hopefully, it's not too late, and so long as we keep going with this, we will get better.
_________________

^ryknowssd on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ryknowssd


Joined: 13 Jan 2007
Posts: 22817
Location: Awesomeville
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigschmadt00 wrote:
I wonder if part of the reason our WR's dropped some of these balls was not being used to running these routes and the ball actually being thrown deep.

Ryk made a thread about how we were essentially playing opossum all season in preparation for "when we'd need" (paraphrasing) in a game like this past week. Well, sure enough, we certainly did a lot more downfield passing, but we also simply couldn't convert most of them.

I truly believe a large part of what makes a team successful is how "Automatic" it is for the guys on the field. How much can they just react, instead of thinking? If you are not practiced in throwing deep outs, or knowing the Alex would throw back shoulder due to the rotating safety in coverage, instead of inside where it would normally be placed, then it's very hard to consistently convert these types of plays.

Whether it was intentional or not, waiting to start going down field was a mistake. Hopefully, it's not too late, and so long as we keep going with this, we will get better.


I attribute the dropped passes partly to the lack of putting those plays into use in a live game until what was easily the biggest, most important game of the season thus far. Think about that. Think about the pressure it put on our WRs in regards to their mental preparation and how overly focused they must have been. I don't know about you guys, but if I've been playing on a team for season after season and losing 75% of the games only to finally see a season where my team is not only undefeated, but having two friggin' weeks to prepare against a team most regard as the best team in the league, I'm gonna be at least a little nervous and insecure. Yes, I'll be confident in knowing my assignments and ability to execute, but I'm also gonna have that small seed of doubt in the back of mind whispering "if you drop this pass, everyone's gonna blame you". Regardless of how prepared or how mentally tough you are, it's HUMAN to doubt yourself on a big stage like this game. I thought Alex did a pretty good job in avoiding that mindset, but none of our WRs were able to accomplish that same feat. If for no other reason than getting their feet wet and shaking those butterflies, I expect us to see a much better performance by our WRs in week 13.

Before I say anything else, I strongly feel the better team won on Sunday. The Broncos capitalized on the opportunities they had and we simply didn't. With that out of the way, the refs most certainly had a HUGE impact on this game. Because of the plentiful DPI and defensive holding calls in the 1st half, they effectively forced us OUT of playing to our strengths (press/jam). As a result, it opened us up to the pick plays and we were playing catch-up for the rest of the game. The refs also refused to call any offensive holding penalties unless it was BLATANTLY obvious. I counted a total of 9 penalties I considered to be flagrant throughout the game and even though only 5 of those were by Broncos offensive lineman (4 were on us), it still played a large part in determining the flow of the game. Hell, they only called one offensive holding flag all game long only because there was absolutely no way to justify NOT calling that one.

So, when you combine the ineptitude of our WRs, us not capitalizing on turnover opportunities, the refs calling the crap out of DPI & D-holding and neglecting to call the offensive holding that was happening all game, you get the end result; our first loss of the season.

Devito getting injured is also the only reason Ball had that goal line TD. Toribio got DESTROYED on that play. No way that happens with Devito in there and that was likely the difference between 7 points or a FG.

Alex missed a couple reads and left some yards on the field, too. That playaction bootleg to Sherman early in the game had Fasano WIDE OPEN 10-15 yards down the field and he completely missed him. That was the most glaring miss I noticed when reviewing the tape. Well, that and the poor clock management he showed at the end of each half (taking a sack instead of throwing it away and dumping off to Charles instead of taking a risk by throwing downfield in the 4th quarter).

All in all, this was a disappointing game on multiple levels. It'll be interesting to see how our whole roster bounces back against the Chargers. I may be more excited about week 12 than I was about the week 11 game if that's possible. Will they rebound or not? We'll find out soon.
_________________

bigschmadt00 wrote:
Oooohhhh YEAHH!!! WOO PIG SOOIE!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mikek163


Joined: 24 Nov 2008
Posts: 5532
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Before I say anything else, I strongly feel the better team won on Sunday. The Broncos capitalized on the opportunities they had and we simply didn't. With that out of the way, the refs most certainly had a HUGE impact on this game. Because of the plentiful DPI and defensive holding calls in the 1st half, they effectively forced us OUT of playing to our strengths (press/jam). As a result, it opened us up to the pick plays and we were playing catch-up for the rest of the game. The refs also refused to call any offensive holding penalties unless it was BLATANTLY obvious. I counted a total of 9 penalties I considered to be flagrant throughout the game and even though only 5 of those were by Broncos offensive lineman (4 were on us), it still played a large part in determining the flow of the game. Hell, they only called one offensive holding flag all game long only because there was absolutely no way to justify NOT calling that one.


This. I watched the entire Colts game and I remember how "open" that game was. The refs let the players play on SNF and the more physical team won. With our next game at home and it not being on prime time I really think it'll be a better reffed game for sure. (I hope).
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group