Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Peter King's KC article

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rearviewmirror

Location: ^^Tamba waiting on his next feast in the Avy Ryk on the sig
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:23 am    Post subject: Peter King's KC article Reply with quote

Quote:
ONE LONG NIGHT in September, two months before the Chiefs reached 9--0, illustrates why GM John Dorsey loves working alongside Andy Reid.

Reid had empowered Dorsey to fine-tune the roster as August ended, and because of the circumstances—Kansas City was No. 1 on the waiver priority list by virtue of having the worst record in 2012, so the team would get every player it claimed after the final cutdown on Labor Day weekend—this was no small task. "It was like a second draft," says Dorsey.

The Chiefs got the waiver list at 8 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 6, and had until 11 a.m. the following day to make their claims. So Dorsey and seven scouts combed through tape of 35 players—they'd already begun their work based on unconfirmed reports of guys being waived—until 2:30 a.m. on Saturday.

They napped. They showered. They were back at it by 5 a.m., studying tape for five more hours, then meeting to finalize their choices.

Reid wasn't involved. He meant what he'd said to Dorsey when he hired him: You're doing the personnel.

This led to an awkward situation. The cutdown to 53 players, made on Friday, was one thing; that happened with every team. But now Dorsey was putting claims in on seven new players from around the league, meaning that assistant coaches were going to have to teach them the playbook, and fast. Meanwhile, K.C. players who were still acquainting themselves with the new regime would watch as seven of their buddies got fired—replaced by seven guys they didn't know.

"Andy brought the team into a meeting," Dorsey says, "and he told them, 'I know this is tough; I know a lot of these guys are your buddies. But you have to trust us. You have to help us get these guys ready to play.' So he's trusting us to do our job."

The players had to trust Reid. Reid had to trust Dorsey. And the players, in turn, had to trust that Dorsey was firing and hiring the right seven guys.

Love this quote. Love this article. Freaking LOVE THIS TEAM!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1209043/3/index.htm

les paul wrote:
There's only one thing that determines a teams performance on any given sunday
Their opponent-
Arrowhead86

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that at work Friday. Really awesome article. I posted the portion about Bowe and the play change in Ry's Bowe thread after King shared that portion in MMQB.

My absolute favorite part in the rest of the article is the segment about interviewing Reid.. especially this part:

Quote:
Hunt planned for a four-hour interview with Reid. It lasted eight. This is what thrilled the Chiefs' owner most: Reid had already watched offensive and defensive video of every Kansas City snap from the 2012 season.

Think about that. Hunt had called Reid on Monday afternoon, around 3 p.m., and here it was, about 10 a.m. on Wednesday, and Reid had seen and taken notes on 1,988 plays from the Chiefs' nightmare campaign.

Imagine.. he had already watched every single snap of that brutal 2012 season to get to know our team before even meeting Clark! He had TWO days to prepare for the job interview and he was so interested.. he watched all 1,988 plays!

Seriously...
2014 Adopt-A-Chief: #29 Eric Berry, S
Tackles:14/Assists:1/TFL:0/Sacks:0/FF:0/FR:0/PD:1/INT:0
Rearviewmirror

Location: ^^Tamba waiting on his next feast in the Avy Ryk on the sig
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrowhead86 wrote:
I read that at work Friday. Really awesome article. I posted the portion about Bowe and the play change in Ry's Bowe thread after King shared that portion in MMQB.

My absolute favorite part in the rest of the article is the segment about interviewing Reid.. especially this part:

Quote:
Hunt planned for a four-hour interview with Reid. It lasted eight. This is what thrilled the Chiefs' owner most: Reid had already watched offensive and defensive video of every Kansas City snap from the 2012 season.

Think about that. Hunt had called Reid on Monday afternoon, around 3 p.m., and here it was, about 10 a.m. on Wednesday, and Reid had seen and taken notes on 1,988 plays from the Chiefs' nightmare campaign.

Imagine.. he had already watched every single snap of that brutal 2012 season to get to know our team before even meeting Clark! He had TWO days to prepare for the job interview and he was so interested.. he watched all 1,988 plays!

Seriously...

I love how personnel is decided ENTIRELY by Dorsey. Love how Reid got the guys together to get the magnificent 7 ready to ball out. This team has an amazing belief in one another

les paul wrote:
There's only one thing that determines a teams performance on any given sunday
Their opponent-
jimmydee1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely....all that!! So, when we hit a bump in the road, let's all remember this moment in time and place OUR trust in Dorsey and Reid to do the right thing with no looking back. Yeah, I know that's what we do here, but you get my point.

And to that point.....One game does not a season make! Deep breath, relax, re-group and next team up Sunday. Business as usual. Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: