Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ryan Tannehill Franchise QB
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jordan198011

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:10 am    Post subject: Ryan Tannehill Franchise QB Reply with quote

On a scale of 1-10 ( 1 being not what so ever and 10 being no doubt in your mind ) how confident are you Tannehill is our franchise QB now and for a long time?? Please also explain your rating
NHL: Los Angeles Kings
NFL: Miami Dolphins
NCAA: USC
alant_8

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 - but an incomplete grade

Apoligies for the essay, but heres why and i know i may get stick for it but;

Last year, a bye for me only 19 college starts but he showed some promise whilst gaining vital experience.

This year, well started off great, which led me to believe he can be our FQB. However i think Sherman the man responsible for his 1st round status is responsible for him potentially being a bust through his playcalling which i think is actually restricting him. He doesnt seem to be playing with instincts i.e. leaving the pocket when it breaks down (this could be a fault with him mind) Ireland & his O-line have to take the blame as well.

Yes i know the QB is supposed to make everything and one around him better, but i challenge Rodgers, Brady or even Manning here. Behind this O-Line they'd all be on IR now. Manning may have faired better because we'd be running his, not shermans system. But we have the perfect storm of Inept playcalling, bad coaching and a crappy o-line.

Don't get me wrong, Tannehill has flaws, can he 'Win' consistently? yes he has to stop the fumbles that are an issue & take more care of the football. My biggest problem is the lack of multiple 2/3/4 TD games of which i can count on one hand, we have to see more of them.

However i think he needs change until we can properly evaluate him and even consider the correct answer to this QU. not all-pro changes but ones that bring competence, i can't think of many adjustments made by the staff this year as we talk about the same things each game.

Competent playcalling, coaching and a competent line that won't get him sacked as often, if by some miracle we get that, then we can A) Evaluate him properly and B) Win, because i think we have a lot of untapped talent on this team
Dolphinmeister

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a 7 at this point. He does have work to do to improve but at this point I feel the coaching and O-Line play are 2 big strikes against him at this point of his development.

Last edited by Dolphinmeister on Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 realistically, 5 optimistically.

Fact of the matter is it is hard to judge him due to the state of the offensive line and how vanilla and predictable our gameplan is. It is true he has poor pocket awareness but I think the lack of protection he has had his whole career is responsible (if anything, his problem is that he assumes pressure is coming every play even when it's not).

My largest concern is that the OL is permanently going to stunt his development because his skittishness in the pocket is just going to become more and more habit with time, even if we improve our offensive line at some point in the future. The obvious example being David Carr... in general getting sacked a lot severely hurts QB development for young QBs.

It also somewhat bothers me that it seems like he's being coached to stay in the pocket when he would probably be better off scrambling in these situations since one of his strengths is his athleticism, and throwing on the run.

Nacho Simulation Football League
Maddogg

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very difficult to determine. Without a stable offensive line it is hard to judge. Its understood that there is difficulty in establishing an elite line with the nature of contracts, free agency and injuries. So I don't think you can say its impossible to judge as every team faces issues. That said as previously mentioned he would be easier to judge with a stable line and we haven't approached that yet with Tannehill under Center, but here goes :

Pocket Presence : 3 Right now he is below average. Doesn't appear to have the innate sense of pressure coming from his blind side. Appears to have a hesitant almost jerky motion stepping up in the pocket. Surprising low ability to escape the rush from the agility he showed in college. Han't shown ability to improvise or adjust when called play breaks down.

Arm Strength : 9 Can make all the throws. short, intermediate and long. Nice tight spiral on most.

Accuracy : 7 Does well on the short to intermediate throws. Can be erratic on the long throws where he can be short, long or out of the field of play. I took out from this rating throws where communication, whether it be on the receiver or quarterback was the issue.

Defensive Reads : 4 Haven't seen too much on ability to read a defense and audible into the correct offensive call. Field of vision seems average in accounting for player position in the defensive secondary.

Leadership : 5 Average display in terms of on the field and sidelines. Hasn't appeared to resonate the "This Is MY Team" you want from the quarterback position. His status appears more predicated on the Dolphins ridding themselves of all players in a leadership role within the past two seasons.

Overall Score : 5.6

Jared Odrick 2014 Adopt A Player : Games - 14, Tackles 17 Assists 6 Sacks 1 Forced Fumbles 1
Joe Philbin Death Watch - After Week 14 : Death 45 Joe 37
ChosenOne3188

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8...The problem is the offensive line, not Tannehill

AIM/Steam/XBL: ChosenOne3188
Dolphinemidget

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The man can play the spot, but will he be Manning, Farve, Marino, Brady. (No)He is more like say Rich Gannon maybe Tony Romo (both were/are good but not Canton, Ohio good)

I think if he is given the pieces he needs, an Oline that will let him stay in the pocket (as it seems he doesn't want to leave it, maybe that is Sherman) and an Elite TE (who Tanney seems to like) he can be a Franchise Game Manager, but the ball club needs to play to his strengths

Over-all (with this team) 5
Over-all (potential) 7

Adopt a Phins 14, 1st Pick Ryan Tannehill
(14 Season Week-13 )
66.5% CMP - 2817 yards -20 TD's - 9 INT's - 92.1 Rat /RUSH 289 Yards 45 Atmts
thejoz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7-8, personally.

After 1.5 years as a starter, it's not possible to give a 10, or realistically even a 9 yet. I realize that 8 might be a little high, but I feel that based on the good we've seen, barring some serious injury setback or 100% total team implosion - yes, worse than what's going on now - I think that it is not off base to suggest that there's at least decent potential that he is a real FQB for us.

Does he have some growing up to do? Yes. Does he need to make a few better decisions from time to time? Absolutely.

But first and foremost, he needs a reliable Offensive Line to protect him and to give him time to do more thinking beyond "How do I not get sacked / lose the ball / throw an INT?"

Even if Brady or Manning get about 2 seconds to throw the ball before being wrapped up...90% of the time, they aren't making any HOF plays either.

Tannehill has the right attitude, arm strength, and overall accuracy I think to be the man we need under center for at least the next 5 years if not closer to 10, hopefully.

Once he has a stout O-Line to protect him, and maybe gets a rhythm with Mike Wallace going...I don't see how we don't start winning games on a consistent basis.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maddogg wrote:
Very difficult to determine. Without a stable offensive line it is hard to judge. Its understood that there is difficulty in establishing an elite line with the nature of contracts, free agency and injuries. So I don't think you can say its impossible to judge as every team faces issues. That said as previously mentioned he would be easier to judge with a stable line and we haven't approached that yet with Tannehill under Center, but here goes :

Pocket Presence : 3 Right now he is below average. Doesn't appear to have the innate sense of pressure coming from his blind side. Appears to have a hesitant almost jerky motion stepping up in the pocket. Surprising low ability to escape the rush from the agility he showed in college. Han't shown ability to improvise or adjust when called play breaks down.

Arm Strength : 9 Can make all the throws. short, intermediate and long. Nice tight spiral on most.

Accuracy : 7 Does well on the short to intermediate throws. Can be erratic on the long throws where he can be short, long or out of the field of play. I took out from this rating throws where communication, whether it be on the receiver or quarterback was the issue.

Defensive Reads : 4 Haven't seen too much on ability to read a defense and audible into the correct offensive call. Field of vision seems average in accounting for player position in the defensive secondary.

Leadership : 5 Average display in terms of on the field and sidelines. Hasn't appeared to resonate the "This Is MY Team" you want from the quarterback position. His status appears more predicated on the Dolphins ridding themselves of all players in a leadership role within the past two seasons.

Overall Score : 5.6

How is 3 below average on the pocket? a 3/10 is a lot more than below average.

And I'm not sure his Arm Strength should b a 9. He can throw it deep at times but he does not know how to use it. So many times you have heard multiple commentators talk about how he doesn't just launch it for Wallace and it's true Wallace has had stop and "try" to come back multiple times all because he didn't throw it deep enough, it happened on a key play just last game it would have been a TD. I'm just hoping he doesn't know how to use it (yet) and it's not his actual arm strength.

I personally give him a 6 maybe a 6.5 and I still have high hopes on him but I have seem him just over throw so many times and under throw balls. One of them isnt that bad but both is not good.

But his stats arent like god awful or anything. I don't think he's gonna have to fight for his start next year.
AngryFinFan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan Tannehill has one of the WORST deep ball accuracy in the NFL. Wallace should have at least 5 more TDs for another 250 yds this season.

Between watching Wallace be wide open and under thrown and Tanny going into the fetal position when getting inside pressure there is ZERO chance ANYONE here can honestly say he is a franchise QB right now.

You don't see the great QBs fail at every opportunity to hit a wide open WR streaking down the field. Nor do you see the great QBs do the fetal position every time they get pressure.

Great QBs make you pay when you mess up coverage and always try to evade pressure and extend plays.

Tannehill, shows neither quality.
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference between cam newton in year 3 compared to year 2 is night and day. Some throws Cam made last year we're head scratchers and you could argue he has more to work with. I think Tannehill has held his own considering he has no line no outlets in the screen game he has held us above float . The deep ball thing is troubling no doubt it's like c'mon man throw it will ya let it fly
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stumbled on a article on ESPN insider that PFF has Ryan Tannehill as it's 9th overall QB in the nfl this year. At the end of the day I'm not sure what all that means and how they grade there QB's but thought it was interesting.
Manic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cam is good at scrambling and the deep ball. He was pretty bad last nite at the shorter routes, everything was high. Tanny is the opposite, good at the short and medium routes but bad pocket awareness and deep ball is bad. I dont think hes gonna be an elite, how often to they appear anyway? I do think he could end up being in the rivers,big ben, eli class.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Ryan Tannehill Franchise QB Reply with quote

Jordan198011 wrote:
On a scale of 1-10 ( 1 being not what so ever and 10 being no doubt in your mind ) how confident are you Tannehill is our franchise QB now and for a long time?? Please also explain your rating

Sorry to be pedantic but it really depends on how you define "franchise QB". If you think a Franchise QB is someone like Manning, Brady, Brees - ie someone who has proven themselves as absolutely elite and capable of putting teams on their back and winning games regardless of talent then I would say Tannehill is a 2. I have absolutely zero confidence that he will ever be that player (whereas for comparison I would give Luck 8 and RG3 & Wilson each a 6).

If you think a franchise QB is someone with the skills to be a top 12 QB in the league and someone who can win in this league with a good supporting cast - ie somone like Rivers, Romo, Cutler etc then I would say I would put Tannehill at about 6. I think he has all the tools (although the deep ball is a real concern), but his pocket presence simply MUST improve and he's not convinced me yet that he has the moxie - i need to see more 4th quarter heroics to give him a higher rating.

Finally a franchise QB might simply be someone who in the right situation you can win with - players like Alex Smith and Matt Schaub. If that's enough then Tannehill is probably a 9.

I would love to see how Tannehill would get on if we got rid of Mike Sherman and got him a younger more innovative OC. I think Sherman has always coached Tannehill to be a game manager and doesn't encourage him to put the team on his back (witness how few times Tanney has the guts to improvise when plays break down - one of the main reasons Wallace was so much more successful with Big Ben than he is with Tanney). Next season for me really is make or break - it will be interesting to see what happens IF Philbin and Ireland get binned by Ross after the Martin Inquiry - whether a new regime would stick with Tanney or draft their guy would speak volumes about how the rest of the league rates him.
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elite skills set, has already passed Kap and RGIII this season and will be in the same league as Luck in the near future. I truly believe based off of what I have seen from him that him and Luck will replace Brady and Manning as the two elite guys in the AFC. Tannehill (barring injury) will be the Dolphins QB for the next 10 - 12 years....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: