Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

week 10 GDT Lions at Bears
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

And the winner is?
Detroit Lions
71%
 71%  [ 15 ]
Chicagi Bears
28%
 28%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 21

TimeForChange

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope no one other than Quin responds to this. Just reinforces the behavior and leads to debate that eventually forgets the original argument.

All Lions players move forward next week. Let the Bears players sulk. Don't need any focus on these comments. They were unnecessary and childish. We all know that. Don't acknowledge it and move on.
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Detroit Lions second look: Rookie CB Darius Slay's rough outing

I found that article very interesting about Slay's play in the game. I suggest checking it out. I couldn't pick out the quotes I wanted without posting the whole article which is against the rules.
Nnivolcm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pettigrew actually had a really strong second half blocking, he didn't "disappear" at all.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201476744735240

Team Stylish
Thanks to Smack for the sig!
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nnivolcm wrote:
Pettigrew actually had a really strong second half blocking, he didn't "disappear" at all.

Pfft. He completely disappeared, missing at LEAST 4-5 blocks. I know which blocks he missed. I refuse to tell you. #betterhumanbeing

Team Stylish
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuhPLEX wrote:
Although most of Detfans arguments are extreme and not backed up, I do agree with certain points he has made about Pettigrew.

Pettigrew IS used as a receiving TE. It's not like he is Will Heller, only used in a blocking role. The Lions seem to like their #1 TE to be well-rounded and able to block and catch.

Saying he isn't a receiving TE seems to me as a way to focus on what he's good at (blocking) while making his pass-game liabilities seem unimportant. The fact of the matter is the Lions use him in both facets. You don't become top-5 in receptions unless you are used as a receiver; a roll he is used in quite often.

Historically (even this season), Grew has proven to be a liability in the passing game. This is worrisome because his mistakes in this area often kills drive and loses games (think TEN last year).

It's okay to praise him for his good blocking, but to ignore his faults in the passing game by claiming "he's a blocking TE" is short-sighted.

That being said, he is playing good currently, and I hope he keeps it up. Personally though, I'd rather have my TE excel at being a receiver then a blocker. They impact the game more that way.

The bottom line is that Pettigrew is not athletic enough to be a downfield threat, which is why we use him in the short game. Hoping for ASJ or Ebron in this upcoming draft.

For me it started out badly given where Pettigrew was drafted. Being a Big 12 fan I saw a great deal of his college games and knew he was over drafted.

With time I've realized his draft position isn't his fault and I've tried to ignore that which allows me to not expect him to be one of the best TE's in the business.

My main complaint with Grew has always been inconsistency in his receiving game. However we also have to remember that TE's that work short yardage over the middle historically drop a great number of catches because they get hit almost immediately with force.

Grew has played very well his last few games at all aspects. He's really turned the corner on what was a terrible start to the season. I think we have to give him credit for that. Its hard for a player to regain confidence mid season but it appears Grew has accomplished that.

I'm certainly not going to be an apologist for his poor play to start the season or the times in previous years when his performance has been inadequate.

I do feel that expectations have to be tied to his ability and the type of TE that he is. I believe he's a better than average blocking TE and an average receiving TE.

Everyone seems to want the addition of a TE that can stretch the field. I like the idea given the current Lions roster. However I would feel much differently if the Lions added a true number 2 wide receiver.

The goal on offence is to have complimentary pieces and if the wide receiver's were all competent the value of a player like Pettigrew is enhanced because of the niche he fills.

The Lions don't need a field stretching tight end if our receivers had that competency. They need a tight end with size that can block well and sit on a route 5-9 yards out.

I think that's where a number of us get confused. Everyone looks at Jimmy Graham and immediately thinks Pettigrew is incompetent.but that's just not the case. Grew is a throwback TE and I believe that's exactly what the Lions were looking for when they drafted him.

There's a place for a player of Brandon's skill set in today's NFL. He needs to get more consistent in receiving because he's clearly displayed he's effective when on his game.

Those inconsistent moments drive me absolutely nuts but that's really no different than how I feel about any of the Lions when their play is inconsistent.

There are those that won't acknowledge it but Stafford, Bush and CJ all have those times where their performance is maddening because of inconsistency.

To my way of thinking if a top flight TE falls into the Lions lap that's great but I would certainly prefer them to draft, sign or trade for a true number 2 wide out. I perceive that to be a much larger need and the addition of a competent number two would certainly enhance Pettigrew's receiving game.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Nnivolcm wrote:

Pfft. He completely disappeared, missing at LEAST 4-5 blocks. I know which blocks he missed. I refuse to tell you. #betterhumanbeing

#ghostbusters.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39
Page 39 of 39

Jump to: