Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is Incognito being treated fairly?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MIAMI54

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Is Incognito being treated fairly? Reply with quote

DeWayne Bowe is playing after his arrest for possession of marijuana. Aldon Smith is playing after his arrest for DUI, and possession of marijuana. All criminal charges. Incognito is suspended for sending an inappropriate text to a teammate who has sent him inappropriate texts. BS.
Jaytotha

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Incognito being treated fairly? Reply with quote

MIAMI54 wrote:
DeWayne Bowe is playing after his arrest for possession of marijuana. Aldon Smith is playing after his arrest for DUI, and possession of marijuana. All criminal charges. Incognito is suspended for sending an inappropriate text to a teammate who has sent him inappropriate texts. BS.

The difference is that the Dolphins have suspended Richie not the NFL.

Adopt a Dolphin: RB Knowshon Moreno

Rushing: 24- 134yds 5.6 Avg 1TD
JCool333

Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course he isn't- I guarantee that he isn't the first NFL player to act this way.

This whole fiasco got out of hand. The Dolphins as an organization should have found out exactly what Martin's problem was right when he left and kept it in house. Thennnn, after it already got released, they should have said that they are investigating it and publicly supported everyone as "innocent until proven guilty". Thennnn, if the league implicates anyone in said investigation, they should have taken action. But Ross and Co. were so worried about covering their own butts that they forgot that an organization should stand by its employees unless there is a clear and definite infraction. They treated Incognito as guilty until proven innocent, didn't support Ireland, and until Monday night, showed no support for Philbin or the locker room.

Giving into media pressure is not the way to handle a business. The media has no place butting into the interactions between two players and the Dolphins should have kept it that way. I don't think Incognito truly crossed the line based on any evidence given, and although the racial slur is definitely wrong, it does not warrant an indefinite suspension.

The Dolphins had a chance to stand strong and prove that they defend their players. Until the dust settles, they should have stood behind Incognito. They didn't and the mess is way bigger for it.
ovaw8lover

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course he is not being treated fairly. And I hope he wins his case against the Dolphins. I do believe the Fins wanted to cut out the distraction. But I would have respected them more had they sent him home WITH pay until they resolved matters.
Maddogg

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incognitos perceived treatment has nothing to do with Aldon Smith or Dwayne Bowe.

According to the Collective Bargaining Agreement between players and the NFL all matters pertaining to the United States justice system must be concluded before any team or the NFL can address the related issue as to a players disposition.

Any matter that does not include the issues relating to the justice system can be addressed by the players team or the NFL without delay.

Jared Odrick 2014 Adopt A Player : Games - 6, Tackles 7 Assists 2 Sacks 1 Forced Fumbles 1

Joe Philbin Death Watch - After Week 7 : Death 24 Joe 21
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, its fair. The Chiefs cannot be sued for Bowe's behavior. Incognito (and Dolphins coaches and possibly GM) could have contributed to creating a work atmosphere that could lead to a law suit and the tarnishing of the brand "The Miami Dolphins". That likely law suit is will undoubtedly be based on Martin's pay and his earning potential over his lifetime, which he could argue has been negatively impacted and could cost the Dolphins millions. Beyond that, tarnishing the brand has a monetary impact on Ross as well. How to calculate that is nearly impossible, but I think we can all agree it was some of the worst press in Miami Dolphins history from a "volume" perspective.

I agree that many players behave in a similar way to Incognito on a day to day basis, and that what Bowe did was break the law of our land, while Incognito merely violated company policy, but more dollars of the business and league will be effected and thus the penalty is appropriate/in balance from a league perspective.
JCool333

Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
Yes, its fair. The Chiefs cannot be sued for Bowe's behavior. Incognito (and Dolphins coaches and possibly GM) could have contributed to creating a work atmosphere that could lead to a law suit and the tarnishing of the brand "The Miami Dolphins". That likely law suit is will undoubtedly be based on Martin's pay and his earning potential over his lifetime, which he could argue has been negatively impacted and could cost the Dolphins millions. Beyond that, tarnishing the brand has a monetary impact on Ross as well. How to calculate that is nearly impossible, but I think we can all agree it was some of the worst press in Miami Dolphins history from a "volume" perspective.

I agree that many players behave in a similar way to Incognito on a day to day basis, and that what Bowe did was break the law of our land, while Incognito merely violated company policy, but more dollars of the business and league will be effected and thus the penalty is appropriate/in balance from a league perspective.

I understand your point, but as far as I see it, what you're saying is that its unfair but understandable. There is no rule against what Incognito did, even. How did he violate company policy? What did he do? He sent one cruel voicemail that was likely a joke, especially since Martin played it while laughing in the locker room. The only rule he broke was that his conduct ended up being detrimental to the club, but how could he know it would be? Incognito was acting out of order, but breaking an unwritten law that had never been governed by anyone shouldn't warrant all this mess. It's clearly unfair. Understandable, given the bureaucratic way things work these days, but still unfair. At least based on what we know now.
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCool333 wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:

I understand your point, but as far as I see it, what you're saying is that its unfair but understandable. There is no rule against what Incognito did, even. How did he violate company policy? What did he do? He sent one cruel voicemail that was likely a joke, especially since Martin played it while laughing in the locker room. The only rule he broke was that his conduct ended up being detrimental to the club, but how could he know it would be? Incognito was acting out of order, but breaking an unwritten law that had never been governed by anyone shouldn't warrant all this mess. It's clearly unfair. Understandable, given the bureaucratic way things work these days, but still unfair. At least based on what we know now.

First, I'd guess I could be wrong, but I'd bet my right nut that the Dolphins have an "employee handbook" with rules of being an employee, and on one of the very first pages it talks about the workplace harrasment policy, including specifications of harassment of the racial type. Every place I've ever worked in my life has had me sign that code of conduct to protect themselves against just such cases. Incognito, while possibly working on his bosses orders certainly broke the conduct code of the Dolphins/League.

Other than that, I would argue that the league impact is higher/greater in a negative sense from Incognito's behavior than Bowe's. Thus the fact means that a "fair" punishment would be commensurate with the negative impact on the league. Since it's the league's punishment we're discussing here, and the judicial system has yet to hand down any rulings, to me the penalties are appropriate.

Bowe will have greater penalties in a criminal court and that makes sense, because he broke a law of the land, while Incognito will not spend time in criminal court, but it is possible (although I'd say unlikely) that Martin could sue Incognito personally. So the courts will be harder on Bowe, and the League will be harder on Incognito. To me that's fair.

What I would agree is NOT fair, is that the league HAS GOT to come down on hard with Incognito to save any face with the public,and continue to pursue an unattainable image of being squeaky clean. I think its unfair that lots of guys do similar things in locker rooms around the league, and I think its unfair that this one is getting treated as if its an isolated incident. But whattya gonna do? This thing just caught fire at the right/wrong time and the public, well beyond the fans, got a taste for blood. I don't fully understand it, but it happened, and the league is going to do the calculus on what a lawsuit looks like, and what the cost is of treating Incognito like a bad apple and they made the only "logical" decision. Is it fair? I see how its not, but it certainly makes sense, and the penalties that most of us are referring to, like games suspended/salaries lost, it looks mostly fair to me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: