Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Denver's Defense Moving Forward

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Royal_VT

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Denver's Defense Moving Forward Reply with quote

I have been hearing a lot of disrespect for the Broncos Defense this year, most of which I believe is undeserved. Our defense was very good last year, and I think it has the opportunity to be better as the season moves along (season long stats will always be skewed because of Pre-Von and Post-Von games).

Von Miller missing the first six games was huge. With him back we have allowed 190 passing yards per game and 310 total yards per game. Both of these would rank in the top 5 in the NFL. We've also played heavy competition recently in comparison to our pre-Von games. The last two games especially, I think were the first two games that everyone can agree that our defense played very well. Sure nobody on our D-Line is a 'sexy' starter, but they've more than done their job. Knighton and Phillips have performed better than I thought they would, and Vickerson is extremely reliable in my opinion. Our linebackers give us a lot of flexibility, and while Trevathan might be considered the 'weak link' I trust him in coverage. Our secondary has been inconsistent at times, but arguably our most talented group (looking at you, DRC / Harris).

Moving forward - KCx2, NE, TEN, SD, HOU, OAK - I am not sure there are any games with more than one matchup that worries me. Charles? We've shown we can shut down the run, if KC is as one dimensional as I expect them to be we should be okay. Gronk presents a matchup problem every game, but their lack of other weapons should allow us to gameplan accordingly.

Do you guys think we have an opportunity to redeem ourselves the rest of the season? First and foremost, we have to hold opponents under 20 points consistently. What do you think are some key factors that would allow us to grow as a defense(Ihenacho's health? Consistent CB play? Emergence of some young DLine players?)

Sig by: inDENguise
Winder23

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are three key factors for this defense moving forward.

-The health of Von and Woody is paramount. Lose either one and this defense struggles at times.

-Pressure with four rushers is also important. When the Broncos get pressure with four they are hard to score on. We have seen alot less blitzing the last two weeks and the pressure has been pretty good.

-Stopping teams on the ground. The Chiefs and Patriots will both try and run the ball on us. I think we will know exactly how good our run defense is in a month from now.
thebestever6

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winder23 wrote:
There are three key factors for this defense moving forward.

-The health of Von and Woody is paramount. Lose either one and this defense struggles at times.

-Pressure with four rushers is also important. When the Broncos get pressure with four they are hard to score on. We have seen alot less blitzing the last two weeks and the pressure has been pretty good.

-Stopping teams on the ground. The Chiefs and Patriots will both try and run the ball on us. I think we will know exactly how good our run defense is in a month from now.

This is the perfect post and I'll add that as a whole we need our d to stay relatively healthy. I definatly do think our d gambles a lot because of the offense and I'm okay with that and no more zone coverage.

Big Palooka wrote:
"They don't have to worry about him making consistent passes. They will win another 2-3 max with him at QB."
broncos67

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We also need Ihenacho healthy. He's not as important as the others, but he offers an extra dimension stopping the run that Adams simply can't.

Also, I'm not so sure we even need to rush Champ back. IMO, from what we've seen this year when he's healthy, Kayvon has outplayed him. Unless the rook really screws the pooch, he should get his standard PT.

Thanks, Tzimisce
paul-mac

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our best formation right now is something like

Miller --- Knighton/Vickerson --- Wolfe --- Phillips
Woodyard --- Trevathan
Webster --- Harris --- Moore --- Ihenacho --- DRC

But in the base 4-3, Ayers and Wolfe at end.
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul-mac wrote:

Woodyard --- Trevathan

Jackson instead of Wolfe and you are right on.

Chasing Lombardi and Stanley!
WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoinGermany wrote:
paul-mac wrote:

Woodyard --- Trevathan

Jackson instead of Wolfe and you are right on.

Agreed.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Whoever said that Wolfe would be better with Von back was right on the money. Wolfe has been on a tear, if anyone hasn't noticed.

-I have no problem with the Broncos' fun defense. They will give up a big play, but for the most part, I think Jamaal Charles will remain in check; yet, again, he might get one big run, but he won't control the game.

-I have never been skeptical of the Broncos ability to cover wide receivers. They mostly do a good job, and again, they are privy to giving up one or two big plays. I don't think one or two plays kills us, because for their two big plays, the Broncos' offense will make three. (I also think the Broncos will have a big game from Holliday. When the camera is solely on the Broncos, that dude takes one or two p/k's back.)

-Where I get scared is the Broncos ability to cover TE's. They are terrible at it. I am not sure if the Chief's TE's are that great. But, Gronk is, and that dude scares me about what he can do to the Broncos.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: