Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Tell me why

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
CHItownBEATdown


Joined: 28 Nov 2012
Posts: 49
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Tell me why Reply with quote

Jay cutler gives us a better chance to win than josh Mccown. I consider myself an avid cutler supporter but after seeing what Mccown brings to the table I am wondering if he might be a better short term solution. He doesn't make the huge plays but he also doesn't turn the ball over with silly interceptions. He has been able to use all of our teams weapons just fine.
_________________
Bears-Blackhawks-Dodgers-Celtics
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DaMike


Joined: 21 Nov 2010
Posts: 5667
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Tell me why Reply with quote

CHItownBEATdown wrote:
Jay cutler gives us a better chance to win than josh Mccown. I consider myself an avid cutler supporter but after seeing what Mccown brings to the table I am wondering if he might be a better short term solution. He doesn't make the huge plays but he also doesn't turn the ball over with silly interceptions. He has been able to use all of our teams weapons just fine.
McCown has been in really good situations so far against bad Ds.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Madmike90


Joined: 25 Jan 2009
Posts: 22937
Location: Scotland
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutler scares opposing defensive coordinators because he can makes throws that very few other QBs in the NFL can…McCown is rock solid in this scheme…but he isn’t going to make a defensive coordinator lose any sleep.
_________________
Adopt-a-Bear 2014…Lance Briggs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AZBearsFan


Moderator
Joined: 04 Feb 2006
Posts: 11029
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Tell me why Reply with quote

CHItownBEATdown wrote:
Jay cutler gives us a better chance to win than josh Mccown. I consider myself an avid cutler supporter but after seeing what Mccown brings to the table I am wondering if he might be a better short term solution. He doesn't make the huge plays but he also doesn't turn the ball over with silly interceptions. He has been able to use all of our teams weapons just fine.

McCown has been a below average backup QB for the better part of the last 10 years (remember his stint as a WR in Detroit?). And you're suggesting we should just assume he's going to continue to play as well as he did last week going forward (probably the best game of his entire career, against an average defense missing its best pass rusher) and abandon Cutler, who himself was playing at career highs for completion percentage and QB rating and on pace for 4400 passing yards and a career high in TD passes before he got hurt? Call me crazy, but why is the improvement of the older and lesser talented player more important than that of the guy with the longer career arch and higher ceiling?

People (not singling you out here) have been calling for Jay to improve since he got here and now that he is finally surrounded by real talent and doing just that people are so quick to want to push him out the door now. I just don't understand how that makes any sense.
_________________

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WindyCity


Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 10057
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because we are going to have to score 35 points against a good QB who is not going to gift wrap sacks and interceptions.

McCown is a great backup, but he beat a crippled Packers team. This. Lions team has far more teeth.
_________________
Adopt a Bear: DT Will Sutton [T, S, TFL, FF]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sugashane


Joined: 06 Jan 2013
Posts: 1254
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Tell me why Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:

People (not singling you out here) have been calling for Jay to improve since he got here and now that he is finally surrounded by real talent and doing just that people are so quick to want to push him out the door now. I just don't understand how that makes any sense.


Thank you. People might just be looking at baseline stats and see him as a slightly above average starter or whatever, but they need to remember Jay had one terrible game that dragged his stats down, take that out and he has been very impressive, even outplaying Brady in most ways this year. If he had been in this system with this talent for more than 7 games (ignoring last week since he didn't play, and with WAS being up in the air due to being injured early). He was on pace for his best year of his career and there is no reason to think the offense will not gel more with time.
_________________
2013 Kyle Long Rookie of the Year Award
Adopt-a-Bear
Matt Forte
The march for 2,000 All Purpose Yards
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MDbear4ever


Joined: 08 Aug 2008
Posts: 319
Location: MD
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Tell me why Reply with quote

CHItownBEATdown wrote:
Jay cutler gives us a better chance to win than josh Mccown. I consider myself an avid cutler supporter but after seeing what Mccown brings to the table I am wondering if he might be a better short term solution. He doesn't make the huge plays but he also doesn't turn the ball over with silly interceptions. He has been able to use all of our teams weapons just fine.


I am asking the same question. Yes, Cutler has more talent but he also makes the dumbest mistakes sometimes and at crucial times. Every time he throws the ball, I wonder if it is a long completion or INT. I dont mind Cutler starting this week but if he performs poorly like he did against Washington, we may have a QB controversy. So we will see what happens.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Madmike90


Joined: 25 Jan 2009
Posts: 22937
Location: Scotland
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Tell me why Reply with quote

MDbear4ever wrote:
CHItownBEATdown wrote:
Jay cutler gives us a better chance to win than josh Mccown. I consider myself an avid cutler supporter but after seeing what Mccown brings to the table I am wondering if he might be a better short term solution. He doesn't make the huge plays but he also doesn't turn the ball over with silly interceptions. He has been able to use all of our teams weapons just fine.


I am asking the same question. Yes, Cutler has more talent but he also makes the dumbest mistakes sometimes and at crucial times. Every time he throws the ball, I wonder if it is a long completion or INT. I dont mind Cutler starting this week but if he performs poorly like he did against Washington, we may have a QB controversy. So we will see what happens.


Yeah he was terrible against Washington…in those 8 attempts he had Rolling Eyes...

Cutler was playing at a pro bowl level before he went down…he was playing better than he had ever played in his career…if he is 100% he is by far the best option we have to win us games…going into games worrying about your QB making a mistake is how you lose games…you go into those games with faith that for the mistakes he makes he will also make a ton of plays for you to win the game.
_________________
Adopt-a-Bear 2014…Lance Briggs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MDbear4ever


Joined: 08 Aug 2008
Posts: 319
Location: MD
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Tell me why Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
MDbear4ever wrote:
CHItownBEATdown wrote:
Jay cutler gives us a better chance to win than josh Mccown. I consider myself an avid cutler supporter but after seeing what Mccown brings to the table I am wondering if he might be a better short term solution. He doesn't make the huge plays but he also doesn't turn the ball over with silly interceptions. He has been able to use all of our teams weapons just fine.


I am asking the same question. Yes, Cutler has more talent but he also makes the dumbest mistakes sometimes and at crucial times. Every time he throws the ball, I wonder if it is a long completion or INT. I dont mind Cutler starting this week but if he performs poorly like he did against Washington, we may have a QB controversy. So we will see what happens.


Yeah he was terrible against Washington…in those 8 attempts he had Rolling Eyes...

Cutler was playing at a pro bowl level before he went down…he was playing better than he had ever played in his career…if he is 100% he is by far the best option we have to win us games…going into games worrying about your QB making a mistake is how you lose games…you go into those games with faith that for the mistakes he makes he will also make a ton of plays for you to win the game.


I hope you are right and I am wrong. I guess we will find out tomorrow Smile
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ForteOz


Joined: 03 Sep 2013
Posts: 905
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only in Chicago is having a decent backup QB a bad thing...
This is part of why I don't want to spend a high draft pick on a QB. The fans.
Jay gives us the best chance to win, hands down. If you watch enough games of McCown, you'd see some terrible throws/decisions too. Even against green bay he had a couple that could easily have been picked off. If Jay were in they would have been called 'nearly intercepted' or 'he got away with one there.'

The honeymoon period of a new qb wears off way too fast and then we are right back on the qb carousel. People were already calling to bench rg3 for christ sake, what is going to happen when our no-where-near #1 overall talent qb struggles for a 3 game stretch and Joe Buck catches him on the sidelines looking frustrated?

/rant over
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AZBearsFan


Moderator
Joined: 04 Feb 2006
Posts: 11029
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForteOz wrote:
Only in Chicago is having a decent backup QB a bad thing...
This is part of why I don't want to spend a high draft pick on a QB. The fans.
Jay gives us the best chance to win, hands down. If you watch enough games of McCown, you'd see some terrible throws/decisions too. Even against green bay he had a couple that could easily have been picked off. If Jay were in they would have been called 'nearly intercepted' or 'he got away with one there.'

The honeymoon period of a new qb wears off way too fast and then we are right back on the qb carousel. People were already calling to bench rg3 for christ sake, what is going to happen when our no-where-near #1 overall talent qb struggles for a 3 game stretch and Joe Buck catches him on the sidelines looking frustrated?

/rant over

I think you are spot on with this and that this is a large reason as to why we have not been able to develop a quarterback in forever. Impatient fans. And I say that knowing that I am one of those fans on many occasions.
_________________

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Badger75


Joined: 08 Apr 2008
Posts: 7394
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone noticed that the Redskins D-lineman who injured Cutler, rolled him over his knee, causing the abdominal injury?

Cutler was fouled repeatedly throughout the game and received no protection from the refs. Is McGown going to withstand that?
_________________
"I have to keep playing so people over 40 will have somebody to root for on Sunday afternoons." George Blanda who played until he was 46
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WindyCity


Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 10057
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badger75 wrote:
Has anyone noticed that the Redskins D-lineman who injured Cutler, rolled him over his knee, causing the abdominal injury?

Cutler was fouled repeatedly throughout the game and received no protection from the refs. Is McGown going to withstand that?


He said he tore it before he was hit when he stepped up.
_________________
Adopt a Bear: DT Will Sutton [T, S, TFL, FF]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group