Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

McClellin's Game Breakout or Blip

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Was Shea's game against the Packers his breakout game or just an abnormally good blip?
Breakout
39%
 39%  [ 9 ]
Blip
60%
 60%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 23

A_Fan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: McClellin's Game Breakout or Blip Reply with quote

Shea had more sacks against the Packers last night than he had the entirety of last season. Normally I'm more of a wait see type, but I'm so giddy after last night I have to ask... Did we just watch Shea break out?

I'm inclined to think we did because in the past when an O lineman got his hands on Shea, it was all over. That didn't seem to be the case last night, and the results were nice. I'm excited to see how this pans out for the rest of the year.

What do you all think?
VeniceBearsFan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to say breakout. I've been trying to back him up all year now and he finally showed up and looked like a first round talent last night doing what he was signed to do: get after the quarterback.

But again, he struggled against the run (along with the rest of the dline to be fair). He needs to be the complete player to be considered breakout but he has plenty of time to prove it this being only his 2nd season in the NFL

Sacks: 4
Tackles: 30.0
INTS: 0
FF: 0
FR: 1
DaMike

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time will tell but this isn't his first good game. It's his first elite game but he's played well of late.
mikee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blip.

I want it to be real. I want him to succeed. But other than the spin move at the end, he really didn't beat Barclay for the other sacks. Sacks come in bunches. That is the saying, and to some extent it is true. Guys are going to eventually get hustle sacks or QBs will get flushed in their direction. Especially guys like McClellin who has the speed to chase down QBs.

But he really didn't do anything great last night. First, lets remember it came against a backup OT. The sack on Rodgers was good hustle/recognition but Rodgers basically scrambled to McClellin's side and held the ball too long. McClellin didn't actually beat the OT on the play. He did get a few pressures during the 2nd/3rd qtrs by beating Barclay to edge and that cannot be ignored, but again Barclay is a backup (and really better suited for G) and I don't remember him making any plays when lined up on Bahktiari's side. I did like the hustle to chase down the QBs when they scrambled. That was the best part of his game last night and that should be something he is good at and it should happen more frequently then it had been up until last night.

And then of course there is the run defense. Again, I will give him some credit for last night. He did not get blown off the ball or get put on skates at all which is the first time I can remember a game where that did not happen. He held his ground better than he ever has. But he was single blocked by Quarles on many running plays and McClellin was not able to disengage and make plays to stop the ball carriers despite the fact that it seemed like well over half of the Packers runs went to McClellin's side. McClellin also admitted in the post game that he blew his gap discipline on one of the Packers long runs. I am assuming that was the long Lacy run where Gruden called out Major Wright for blitzing to the same gap McClellin was in. I think McClellin was supposed to stunt inside on that play.

I hope he keeps improving, and I hope he can use this game as a spring board. There were encouraging signs. But I think people see 3 sacks and think he played an amazing game. I don't think he did. Did he play his best game ever? Absolutely.
Encore49

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked very solid last night. The moves he made were very nice pass rushing skills and I believe he is going to prove me wrong on his bust status. We could hope.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He looked like he was playing hard, but I'm not convinced it wasn't a result of a better group effort by the entire line as well as Green Bay's lackluster pass blocking.

Blip.
MonserinNC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point we already know Shea is a serviceable rotational DE

Like all serviceable guys, he can have a good game now and then.

BrotherlyLove wrote:
Cutler isn't sexy enough to be compared to sexy rexy, let's get real

Darrelle Revis wrote:
TEBOWSANITYMANIA
DaMike

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breakout. Calling it now. He will have at least 3 sacks per game for the rest of the season. At least.
Sugashane

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe blip, but if he would prove me wrong I would be ecstatic. Still, it was one game and I will be watching to see if he plays with more confidence than he has seemed to have so far.
The march for 2,000 All Purpose Yards
Madmike90

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither…what he had is a game where he beat an Olinemen all ends up…now he has the confidence to do that more often…he has to carry that confidence into this week and make an impact against the Lions…doesn’t have to be 3 sacks…just apply pressure on a consistent basis.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikee wrote:
Blip.

I want it to be real. I want him to succeed. But other than the spin move at the end, he really didn't beat Barclay for the other sacks. Sacks come in bunches. That is the saying, and to some extent it is true. Guys are going to eventually get hustle sacks or QBs will get flushed in their direction. Especially guys like McClellin who has the speed to chase down QBs.

But he really didn't do anything great last night. First, lets remember it came against a backup OT. The sack on Rodgers was good hustle/recognition but Rodgers basically scrambled to McClellin's side and held the ball too long. McClellin didn't actually beat the OT on the play. He did get a few pressures during the 2nd/3rd qtrs by beating Barclay to edge and that cannot be ignored, but again Barclay is a backup (and really better suited for G) and I don't remember him making any plays when lined up on Bahktiari's side. I did like the hustle to chase down the QBs when they scrambled. That was the best part of his game last night and that should be something he is good at and it should happen more frequently then it had been up until last night.

And then of course there is the run defense. Again, I will give him some credit for last night. He did not get blown off the ball or get put on skates at all which is the first time I can remember a game where that did not happen. He held his ground better than he ever has. But he was single blocked by Quarles on many running plays and McClellin was not able to disengage and make plays to stop the ball carriers despite the fact that it seemed like well over half of the Packers runs went to McClellin's side. McClellin also admitted in the post game that he blew his gap discipline on one of the Packers long runs. I am assuming that was the long Lacy run where Gruden called out Major Wright for blitzing to the same gap McClellin was in. I think McClellin was supposed to stunt inside on that play.

I hope he keeps improving, and I hope he can use this game as a spring board. There were encouraging signs. But I think people see 3 sacks and think he played an amazing game. I don't think he did. Did he play his best game ever? Absolutely.
Most of the rushing yardage came on plays up the middle not around SM's end.
G08

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like the two options because I think it's somewhere in between.

Is one 3-sack game a breakout in the NFL, when you're not excelling in run support? No.

Is knocking him for having a productive game and calling it a blip because he didn't get home much for the previous 7 games fair? No.

He's been showing flashes in his pass rush all season long, he just hasn't been finishing. He got home against the Packers but he's still nowhere near a finished product.

More experience + strength training is what he needs. I'll still be rooting for the kid. He's 24 years old for cryin' out loud; let him develop.

WindyCity wrote:
McClellin is simply not very good. He is not big enough or strong enough to play at the NFL level. The Bears should move on.
MonsterCityGHS

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiraqs Monster fan man clockin in and I want understand Shea McClellin out this weeks Bears game. Not after the KO off discount daaabull check!!! lmfao Love that by the way. Broke that shoulder in soldier you mad So why is McClellin on the bench while Chicago winning these Bears games? I voted blip but I should have to vote breakout.
Da super fans only knows Twisted Evil AKA Mr. Watch me 50

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: