Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Week 8 vs ATL, Defensive Coverage Metrics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:15 am    Post subject: Week 8 vs ATL, Defensive Coverage Metrics Reply with quote

You did not think I had forgotten about this did you? Be honest? I just had a really busy week which seemed to tie in nicely with the BYE week for the Cardinals. I am getting this done a week late, but hopefully you guys are still interested.

The numbers for Powers (6 catches on 15 targets) are not as impressive as they sound. He benefited from inaccurate throws and drops the Falcons probably should have had 10-12 catches from those 15 targets, but it just did not pan out.

Look at the way the Falcons avoided Patrick Peterson. The opposition threw the football 61 times and only two of them were into the Coverage of Peterson. One of which was Rashard Johnson's first INT.

Tyrann Mathieu had, in my opinion, his worst coverage game of the season. He was beaten soundly on an out and up by Harry Douglas. He was beaten easily for the TD (Thought shallow crossing routes vs zone coverage are tough to defend) and was in the wrong place in coverage a couple of times, some that the Falcons made us pay for a couple that they did not. Still he is a rookie, we are going to see some mental mistakes, the fact it was the 8th game of the season before we saw many is great.

Daryl Washington has improved his game in coverage. His INT was actually a target for Rashard Johnson who was late coming across in single high vs the TE, but he made some very good plays in coverage, batted a ball away and ripped one out of the hands of future HoF TE Tony Gonzalez. He looks more aware in zone coverage and has the athleticism to be an impact player in man coverage against TE's.

Karlos Dansby had an up and down game in coverage and couple of good plays and a couple of blown plays. He looks a step slow to react in zone coverage a little bit and that allows teams to take advantage.

The Falcons love the WR screen.

The Bell vs Gonzalez matchup we all feared never really eventuated. The Cardinals played very zone heavy this game and it worked.

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
SuperFlyTNT

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the insight as always Khodder - much appreciated.

Really looking forward to this PP vs. Andre Johnson match-up this weekend.

Also, hope that Tyrann picks it back up - but you're right, he's still a rookie - can't say that about Yeremiah Bell.
mtdowner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an impressive game for PP21. He's definitely on track for a pro bowl.

Agree Mathieu gives up his fair share of catches but he is such a reliable tackler he hardly gives up any YAC.

We were finally able to contain a TE. That play where we had both DWash and maybe Bell(?) pressing Gonzo at the LOS near the goal line was awesome. He was definitely upset about it.
Chg91

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtdowner wrote:
Agree Mathieu gives up his fair share of catches but he is such a reliable tackler he hardly gives up any YAC.

Greg Toler was the same. So was AJ Jefferson.

And there's a reason we didn't keep them around.
LuckyNumber11

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mathieu has been doing that all season, he gives up the catch but wraps them up right away. I don't want to say its a problem because he has a lot of great assets that help this team a lot, but he really hasn't been too great in coverage all year

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chg91 wrote:
mtdowner wrote:

Yeah but without the sideline I feel like the nickel position is more susceptible to giving up catches. I do agree its an area with room for improvement for him though.

And I don't think Mathieu was drafted for his coverage ability, he was drafted for his playmaking ability. Something that has really transferred over from his college game. He has far exceeded my expectations.
apollo14000

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtdowner wrote:
Chg91 wrote:
mtdowner wrote:

Yeah but without the sideline I feel like the nickel position is more susceptible to giving up catches. I do agree its an area with room for improvement for him though.

And I don't think Mathieu was drafted for his coverage ability, he was drafted for his playmaking ability. Something that has really transferred over from his college game. He has far exceeded my expectations.

These are all good points. Mathieu is not here to be a shutdown corner but a guy that can make impact plays in the run and pass game.

Powers, on the other hand, needs to do better in coverage. I'm hoping we draft a CB on Day 2 so Powers can play #3/#4 CB with Cason likely not sticking around.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: