Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Texans Waived Wood, Montgomery and Jefferson
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marco79

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one said we could replace those 6 guys with middle round draft picks, Apollo.

It makes sense to move on from 6 30+ year olds making a lot of money.

And if we have a new coach and possibly a new scheme I bet those are the first guys to go.

I would be fine with letting all those guys go except Antonio Smith and I hope we resign to a team friendly contract.

Also When I said blow up the roster, I almost meant the depth. Our depth at some spots is horrendous.
Jacobys Homey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked to a guy who is pretty high up with the Texans tonight, he alluded to this saying they said they were "out past curfew and claimed to be smoking cigars... yeah ok."
Deep roots are not reached by the frost
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacobys Homey wrote:
I talked to a guy who is pretty high up with the Texans tonight, he alluded to this saying they said they were "out past curfew and claimed to be smoking cigars... yeah ok."

They're idiots, just wait till you get back to Houston......plus Wood and Jefferson knew they'd be active and still effed it up.

^CalhounLambeau on the sick sig^

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swag" Swearinger
38 tot, 1 int, 1 sck, 3 ff, countless missed tackles
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco79 wrote:
No one said we could replace those 6 guys with middle round draft picks, Apollo.

It makes sense to move on from 6 30+ year olds making a lot of money.

And if we have a new coach and possibly a new scheme I bet those are the first guys to go.

I would be fine with letting all those guys go except Antonio Smith and I hope we resign to a team friendly contract.

Also When I said blow up the roster, I almost meant the depth. Our depth at some spots is horrendous.

I understand, just pointing out that Texan fans are always clamoring for us to cut anyone who makes any money or is 30 or approaching 30 and stockpile draft picks when this strategy has been an abject failure the past several seasons. It's a dangerous mindset as quality veteran leadership and experience have been critical components of almost every Super Bowl champion team and the teams that take "next steps" are the ones who maintain the core while adding new elements, not this perpetual rebuilding cycle. It makes ZERO sense to run guys like Manning or Antonio Smith off when we have nothing close to viable alternatives on the roster (Crick & Keo ARE NOT NFL starters) and AT BEST we will draft starters at QB and RT this offseason and maybe plug a hole or two with a free agent or two. Schaub & Reed are obvious cuts, but lets pump the brakes before creating 4 more holes to the ones already there by not resigning A. Smith & W. Smith (who is playing hurt) and cutting OD and Manning. You aren't finding better options for less money on the free agent market and you are dreaming if you think you will plug in middle round draft picks into those spots this offseason and if so where are you getting your Nickle CB, #3 safety, ILBs, RB, RG, OLB, TE2. There is absolutely no reason that with a healthy and shored up o-line and new QB & HC that this team couldn't be right back in the thick of it next season as we have more talent on this roster right now than 6-0 KC.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
jch1911

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salvia maybe?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/cierre-wood-pass-drug-test-houston-texans-release-willie-jefferson-sam-montgomery-103013

Regardless, how the hell does Marciano still have a job????
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jch1911 wrote:
Salvia maybe?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/cierre-wood-pass-drug-test-houston-texans-release-willie-jefferson-sam-montgomery-103013

Regardless, how the hell does Marciano still have a job????

All of this is merely "spin" by the players and their agents. The Texans can't publicly say squat about drug use or the specific circumstances without violating both the CBA and HIPAA and inviting legal action. Nobody ever said the players were cut because of a positive drug test (which would violate the CBA), but rather for violating team rules. Drug tests commissioned by player or their agents are worth the paper the results are printed on as they can select the exact drugs that are tested for instead of the blanket tests administered by the league. For example, Lamar Odom could commission a test that says he didn't smoke any pot in the past 21 days that ignores copious amounts of coke in his system.

This is pure conjecture, but if Willie, Wood, and Sam hosted a party in their room the night before a game that in and of itself would be enough to cut them considering their checkered pasts and marginal hold on roster spots, but if perchance said party included other members of their posse, strippers/hookers, illegal drugs in the room, and the players themselves appeared to be under the influence, the players could be technically telling the truth in saying they were merely smoking "cigars" while the team would still be more than justified in throwing them to the curb. Antonio Smith had earned the benefit of the doubt when there was an off-season incident (drunk dude dead in the pool) at a party at his house - these guys had earned nothing and you haven't heard one player speak in their defense.

Bryant McKinnie didn't do anything to trigger any league punishment with his latest booze related incident (that ended with Jacoby Jones getting cracked over the head by McKinnie's stripper/hooker friend), but with him deactivated and traded within weeks, Ozzie sure indicated that his booze/stripper/fight lifestyle that they were willing to overlook during their playoff and Super Bowl runs was no longer worth it with a younger rebuilding roster and Ray Ray & Reed no longer around to offer a strong clubhouse alternative.

Some people denegrate the Texans for their high character standards, but it has generally helped build a culture where football is first and even in a tough season like this, they won't couple not playing well with further indignities. People always think this "prudish" attitude means that we limit the talent on our roster, but as the 2013 Red Sox just proved vs. the 2011 Red Sox, that even a relatively "harmless" frat boy chicken and beer attitude (compared to behaviors the Patriots ignored) impedes success. As a Cardinals fan, I sure wish Lester & Lackey spent more time this season swilling Sam Adams & Hooters wings while playing video games in the clubhouse than the laser focused and peak conditioned performances that just shut down my Cardinals (btw - it's time we put Matt Adams the diet that had Big Papi still killing it in October and got David Freese to hit the gym instead of his 2 year MVP pub crawl).

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wood got signed to the Pats PS, damn you Bill Evil or Very Mad

^CalhounLambeau on the sick sig^

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swag" Swearinger
38 tot, 1 int, 1 sck, 3 ff, countless missed tackles
norg

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is why rick smith should be fired hes blown so many draft picks and is the reason right now we are 2-6 not hitting in the NFL draft is the major reason teams suck

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: