Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Stat Watch: Muhammad Wilkerson Sack Total
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walsdrjets

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rdelaney89 wrote:
walsdrjets wrote:
Who are the guys ahead of him in the race? Only guys I would consider ahead of him are maybe Mathis and Houston. There are seven guys ahead of him in sacks 5 olbs and 2 4-3 ends. I dont like how most of these guys take advantage of bad matchups on certain teams. Mathis has a 3 sack game and 3 2 sack games. Mario Williams has a 4.5 sack game that inflates his total sacks. Houston has a 3 sack game and a 4.5 sack game. Tamba Hali has a 2 sack game and 2 2.5 sack games. Chandler Jones has 3 2 sack games. RObert Quinn has 2 3 sack games. Suggs is the only consistent one with only one 3 sack game. Even the best OLBers are rarely double teamed because they play on the outside so only a tackle and maybe a halfback can join later. Wilkerson also plays a position that is consistently double teamed any o lineman on him. But he wont get d player of the year for two reasons. One is People are spoiled by JJ Watts ridiciulous season last year and other players who put up flashier numbers. Also WIlkerson plays for the NFLs least popular team.

You can't really knock guys for "inflated stats" unless it is garbage time and it is a QB, WR, or RB. He is absolutely in the discussion but unless his stats really blow up of he makes an insane play that gets on top 10 then I don't think he will get it.

Im not knocking them I am just showing how Wilkerson has had more consistency. If someone had 12 sacks in one game and no sacks the rest of the season is he better than someone who got 10 sacks spread out throughout the season.
green24

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now Wilkerson is 8th in sacks.

1. Robert Mathis - 11.5
2. Mario Williams - 11
2. Justin Houston - 11
4. Robert Quinn - 10
5. Terrell Suggs - 9
5. Tamba Hali - 9
7. Chandler Jones - 8.5
8. Muhammad Wilkerson - 8
9. Jason Hatcher - 7
9. Charles Johnson - 7
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

walsdrjets wrote:
rdelaney89 wrote:
walsdrjets wrote:
Who are the guys ahead of him in the race? Only guys I would consider ahead of him are maybe Mathis and Houston. There are seven guys ahead of him in sacks 5 olbs and 2 4-3 ends. I dont like how most of these guys take advantage of bad matchups on certain teams. Mathis has a 3 sack game and 3 2 sack games. Mario Williams has a 4.5 sack game that inflates his total sacks. Houston has a 3 sack game and a 4.5 sack game. Tamba Hali has a 2 sack game and 2 2.5 sack games. Chandler Jones has 3 2 sack games. RObert Quinn has 2 3 sack games. Suggs is the only consistent one with only one 3 sack game. Even the best OLBers are rarely double teamed because they play on the outside so only a tackle and maybe a halfback can join later. Wilkerson also plays a position that is consistently double teamed any o lineman on him. But he wont get d player of the year for two reasons. One is People are spoiled by JJ Watts ridiciulous season last year and other players who put up flashier numbers. Also WIlkerson plays for the NFLs least popular team.

You can't really knock guys for "inflated stats" unless it is garbage time and it is a QB, WR, or RB. He is absolutely in the discussion but unless his stats really blow up of he makes an insane play that gets on top 10 then I don't think he will get it.

Im not knocking them I am just showing how Wilkerson has had more consistency. If someone had 12 sacks in one game and no sacks the rest of the season is he better than someone who got 10 sacks spread out throughout the season.

Thats an extreme though. Having a 3 sack game is still skill, I wouldn't say a 3 sack game is inconsistent if they don't tally a sack for another 3 games after. That could be game planning, I'm in favor of Mo getting DMVP but people will like the sack total at the end of the year and not care how sporadic it was.
Bobby816

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this DLine can keep it up the sacks will keep coming. Obviously Mo is the biggest threat of all our pass rushers, but if Coples can play like he did against the Saints it'll be hard to leave either one of them with one on one blocking. Keep it up big guys.
walsdrjets

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rdelaney89 wrote:
walsdrjets wrote:
rdelaney89 wrote:
walsdrjets wrote:

Thats an extreme though. Having a 3 sack game is still skill, I wouldn't say a 3 sack game is inconsistent if they don't tally a sack for another 3 games after. That could be game planning, I'm in favor of Mo getting DMVP but people will like the sack total at the end of the year and not care how sporadic it was.

The thing is if Wilk was getting as many one on one matchups as OLBS he would get 4 sack games.
kilahchris

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching Muhammed Wilkerson play is a thing of beauty. I love his motor. Almost non stop the entire game.
Serious Pro Bowl player!
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walsdrjets wrote:

The thing is if Wilk was getting as many one on one matchups as OLBS he would get 4 sack games.

ah ok I see what you're saying. Yea it makes sense but I think people will ultimately look at the total regardless of effort needed to get there.
green24

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Move over, John Abraham. Muhammad Wilkerson has 10 sacks.
quietjetsket

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
Move over, John Abraham. Muhammad Wilkerson has 10 sacks.

Should remove 3 sacks because he knocked his own NT down at LOS. Very embarrassing.

10 sacks and 5 games to go. umm. 13-17 sacks this season? wow!
green24

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the NFL sack leaders as of right now…

Robert Mathis: 13.5
Robert Quinn: 13
Mario Williams: 11
Justin Houston: 11
Muhammad Wilkerson: 10

Last edited by green24 on Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Davey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl Dunbar can take a bow. If there is one unit we can actually count on to show up every week it's the defensive line.
walsdrjets

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pace had a sack where Wilkerson was being triple teamed. He helps the rest of the other front seven players so much
D.Revis24

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, the sack drought is over with. Wilkerson is a monster, him getting 10+ sacks is even more imperssive than those edge rushers because hes a big man and interior pass rushers are harder to find.

For all our problems, our DL is sure dominant.

Props to El Ramster on the sig
ukjets21

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abe56 wrote:
He is the most impressive d-lineman we've had since I started following the Jets. And he is only 24.

I love Wilk but I haven't seen many things as dominant as Kris Jenkins was albeit briefly.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukjets21 wrote:
Abe56 wrote:
He is the most impressive d-lineman we've had since I started following the Jets. And he is only 24.

I love Wilk but I haven't seen many things as dominant as Kris Jenkins was albeit briefly.

Jenkins in the first half of 2008 was probably the most dominant NT play I have ever seen. He was arguably the best defensive player in the NFL for those 8 weeks or so. After that, he was still very good, but not as good as Wilkerson has been.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: