Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Looking ahead - FA
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bruceb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cattleman78 wrote:
I think Phil Taylor is a free agent after next year also.

I've been preaching how 30 million or so cap space will get ate up pretty quickly in the next couple years. Banner and company have some big decisions coming up. Some we won't like.

I just don't see any real big free agency signings.

Not so sure it's a problem, as a lot of the new contract amounts would be incremental to current amounts.

That being said, agree re FA. This was the year for FA. Next year is going to be about improving through the draft.
pmk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
According to spotrac.com, Rubin and Taylor are signed through 2014 :

Ahtyba Rubin $8,175,000 in 2014
Phil Taylor $2,575,125 in 2014

As a Chiefs fan, I really like Rubin alot. Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Rubin play both 3-4 DE and 3-4 NT? He seemed to be a player that was not only a solid run defender but also very good at pushing the pocket on passing plays and keep the quarterback from stepping up while also getting sacks himself.
He played 3-4 NT under Crennel but he was also a good 20-30 lbs heavier. He's made a seamless transition to DE though by slimming down a little bit. I have never seen a DL his size put out so much effort, the guy always seems to be around the ball even when the defense gets burned. Would hate to lose him because he is one of those guys who leaves it all out there every sunday even though he gets very little praise for his high motor.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking ahead - FA Reply with quote

cattleman78 wrote:
Skrine and Gipson will both most likely be in the 3 yrs. 7-9 million range.

No way. The new CBA has drastically changed the ways of mediocre player contracts.

Keenan Lewis got 5yrs/25.5M. And he's an outside CB. Skrine won't touch that.

Darius Butler is probably a better comparative and he got 2yrs/4M.

Gibson is a first year starter that hasn't made BIG plays at all. He's very average. Clemons is a proven guy for a couple years and he got 1 year/2.75M, Benard Pollard got 1 year/2M

Contracts are not what they are used to be. The big time players will get paid big time (mario williams, Derrelle Revis) and all the other guys will take pay cuts. Its how its going to be. Especially since the cap won't go up much for the next 2-3 years.
pnies20

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking ahead - FA Reply with quote

bulldog wrote:
cattleman78 wrote:

No way. The new CBA has drastically changed the ways of mediocre player contracts.

Gibson is a first year starter that hasn't made BIG plays at all. He's very average. Clemons is a proven guy for a couple years and he got 1 year/2.75M, Benard Pollard got 1 year/2M

Contracts are not what they are used to be. The big time players will get paid big time (mario williams, Derrelle Revis) and all the other guys will take pay cuts. Its how its going to be. Especially since the cap won't go up much for the next 2-3 years.

What do you mean by "outside CB"? #2? If thats what you mean, that's what Skrine is.

<3 JF
pnies20

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see Rubin restructuring to stay.

If Kruger doesn't produce next year he might have to restructure, too. He has been average so far.

<3 JF
bulldog

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking ahead - FA Reply with quote

pnies20 wrote:
bulldog wrote:
cattleman78 wrote:

What do you mean by "outside CB"? #2? If thats what you mean, that's what Skrine is.

I dont think so. He's a slot corner playing the outside until the defense goes to a nickle. He doesn't stay on the outside like Haden.

Slot guys don't get paid, boundary guys do. Skrine has played well, but lets no kid ourselves. I defended him last year when everyone bashed him, but no I feel like everyone has gone too far the other way. He doing better, but he's not a top 30 CB.
cattleman78

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: Looking ahead - FA Reply with quote

bulldog wrote:
cattleman78 wrote:

How do you explain Davone Bess getting a 4 year $11,450,334 contract. He is not a number one receiver or an all pro? By your reasoning he should have took a cut in pay. When people think of Bess they sure don't put him with elite players like Mario or Revis let alone Calvin Johnson or Green of Cinci. You will have good players making 6 million plus. You will have some making 2-4 million than you will have some making around the minimum.

Adopted Brown Tashaun Gipson safety
vs. g.bay 7 tackles,2 asst. tackles and 1 pass defended
pnies20

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: Looking ahead - FA Reply with quote

bulldog wrote:
pnies20 wrote:
bulldog wrote:
cattleman78 wrote:

I dont think so. He's a slot corner playing the outside until the defense goes to a nickle. He doesn't stay on the outside like Haden.

Slot guys don't get paid, boundary guys do. Skrine has played well, but lets no kid ourselves. I defended him last year when everyone bashed him, but no I feel like everyone has gone too far the other way. He doing better, but he's not a top 30 CB.

He has played great this year on the outside. The "top 20" was from PFF if you were wondering.

<3 JF
bulldog

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: Looking ahead - FA Reply with quote

cattleman78 wrote:
bulldog wrote:
cattleman78 wrote:

How do you explain Davone Bess getting a 4 year $11,450,334 contract. He is not a number one receiver or an all pro? By your reasoning he should have took a cut in pay. When people think of Bess they sure don't put him with elite players like Mario or Revis let alone Calvin Johnson or Green of Cinci. You will have good players making 6 million plus. You will have some making 2-4 million than you will have some making around the minimum.

I don't understand your comparison.

Bess is a player with alot of playing time and has at least 50 catches every year in the league, once over 60, and twice over 70 catches. He's also one of the best 3rd down WR's in the league in that timeframe. And he's making less than $3M/year.

Are you saying Skrine and Gibson are putting up similair results for a defense?
cattleman78

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Looking ahead - FA Reply with quote

bulldog wrote:
cattleman78 wrote:
bulldog wrote:
cattleman78 wrote:

I don't understand your comparison.

Bess is a player with alot of playing time and has at least 50 catches every year in the league, once over 60, and twice over 70 catches. He's also one of the best 3rd down WR's in the league in that timeframe. And he's making less than $3M/year.

Are you saying Skrine and Gibson are putting up similair results for a defense?

I think I know why you think I'm overpaying Skrine and Gipson. I'm projecting a 3 year contract in the 7-9 million range. That's 7-9 million over 3 years not 7-9 million a year. Say they get an 8 million dollar contract over 3 years that is less than 3 million a year. If you average out what I think Skrine and Gipson get it is in the 2-3 million range a year.

Adopted Brown Tashaun Gipson safety
vs. g.bay 7 tackles,2 asst. tackles and 1 pass defended
bulldog

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed

I still think 2-3M for gibson is too much, but probably right for Skrine.

My bad C man.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: