Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

looking to relocate to boston in early 2014

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
codybill69

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:18 am    Post subject: looking to relocate to boston in early 2014 Reply with quote

Could use a little help on where are some good places to live. I wont be bringing my ride up there from texas so I need someplace that is close to commonwealth where I will be working. I will be cabbing it or walking if close enough or weather is permitting. lol! Any help would be greatly appreciated
Pats#1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: looking to relocate to boston in early 2014 Reply with quote

codybill69 wrote:
Could use a little help on where are some good places to live. I wont be bringing my ride up there from texas so I need someplace that is close to commonwealth where I will be working. I will be cabbing it or walking if close enough or weather is permitting. lol! Any help would be greatly appreciated

Depends on what type of place you're looking to live in.

You looking to buy or rent? Single family, condo, apartment?

There's plenty of transportation into the city from the suburbs surrounding it. Some places are very nice, some places are complete crap, but like I said, all depends on what your looking for and what you're willing to spend.

Sig credit: Deadpulse
Deadpulse

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly the entire city is pretty accessible from anywhere. It's also smaller than most people think

Sigs-Taking Requests
codybill69

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I visit every year. Actually just got back. I went to game 1 and 2 of the World Series. I have been a total of 4 times this yr alone. Ive seen prices on apts and they are extremely price compared to what you can find around here. But that is a given and I am not na´ve when it comes to that.
Deadpulse

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Price of living is pretty high in the NE compared to most of the country, but aside from that, Boston is a college town so apt prices are inflated. Students need places to live so there is a constant influx of potential residents

Sigs-Taking Requests
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are your price and commute tolerances? How much are you willing to pay, how long are you willing to commute, etc.?

This is the kind of thing where you get what you pay for - living in Roslindale would be much more affordable than living downtown, for example. But also without some of the perks.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
codybill69

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was doing some research online and was looking at the Fenway area. id like to be able to walk to fenway as I will be attending as many games as I can. I have been purchasing my tickets from the same dude for the past decade whenever I come up for vaca. He has multiple seats there. So I would also need a gameday buddy hint hint. Also it is only like 2.6 miles from the job. not gonna bring my ride since it will only be a yr deal.
Deadpulse

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

codybill69 wrote:
I was doing some research online and was looking at the Fenway area. id like to be able to walk to fenway as I will be attending as many games as I can. I have been purchasing my tickets from the same dude for the past decade whenever I come up for vaca. He has multiple seats there. So I would also need a gameday buddy hint hint. Also it is only like 2.6 miles from the job. not gonna bring my ride since it will only be a yr deal.

The Fens has 7+ colleges in the area. Almost everyone in the area is either under the poverty line or a college student

Sigs-Taking Requests
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadpulse wrote:
codybill69 wrote:

The Fens has 7+ colleges in the area. Almost everyone in the area is either under the poverty line or a college student

That's not true at all. There are a lot of college students, but there are also a lot of pretty high end apartments in Fenway. I lived there for 8 years and there are a lot of wealthy young and middle age professionals.

Like most places in the city, it's a mixed bag. But outside of the college kids whose parents pay their rent, nobody in the Fenway area is below or close to the poverty line. A lot of landlords in that area require $50-60K incomes before they will even show you the unit (generally the rule in Boston is 30 times rent unless you want to live in a very student heavy building).

The college kids in that area are Berklee and Northeastern students and both of those schools are crazy expensive. You're talking students in $1200 studios paid for by mommy and daddy or 3 kids in a $2400 unit.

There aren't many semi-reasonably priced parts of the Boston area, and I mean within 10 miles. You either go for a more sketchy area and low rent, high rent in a decent area with some students or medium (lol) rent in an area with lots of noise/students/some crime.

The Fenway area will give you bad bang for your buck in terms of square foot per dollar spent and you run a risk at living next to a kid who wants to play his electric guitar every weeknight at 3 AM or in a unit under a bunch of bros who play beer pong with 40 of their best friends every weekend. But, it is close to pretty much everything you need. 10 minute walk to a movie theater, grocery store, a few different pharmacies, bars, the Prudential center, green line, several buses. It's probably the best place geographically to live except maybe the Back Bay in terms of convenience. And if you get a good semi-quiet building, it's a good place to live (albeit badly overpriced).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a set of 6 colleges called the Colleges of the Fenway. Wentworth, Wheelock, Emanuel, MassArt, MCPHS, Simmons. On top of that Harvard Med is in the Heath Street Med area off of Huntington on top of Berklee and Northeastern (whose campus is huge). If you go south of Huntington you get into the Roxbury area which gets sketchy. If you go north towards Boylston it gets more upscale

Sigs-Taking Requests
codybill69

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any apartment recommedations at Fenway or back bay
codybill69

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving on December 4th. Excited as can be
hawk97

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

codybill69 wrote:
Moving on December 4th. Excited as can be

From Texas to NE, that's a bit of a temperature shift? Laughing Hope you've invested in some hats and scarves etc

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't really pats talk so if you've got any more questions, ask them in the "irrelevant" thread.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: