Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Revis 2014?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GangGreen420

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walsdrjets wrote:
rdelaney89 wrote:
walsdrjets wrote:
xenajets wrote:
Makes me feel so much better trading him after hearing him say stuff like that......

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/11/darrelle-revis-tampa-contract-new-york-jets/

I used to think that Revis was on a hall of fame pace. Now I know what seperates him from the Woodsons, Polamalus and Reeds is that they led their teams and made their teamates better. Frankly, Im glad he is happy to be paid 16M to have his talents wasted on a terrible team.

He will most likely be in the hall of fame. He is easily the best corner since prime time and even then they had 2 different styles of play, Revis removes an entire player from the field. The fact that Aso was even mentioned in the same breath as Revis is a joke. The worst part about Revis is his contract demands, by all reports he was a great teammate.

I agree but think that over the past two years he has lost so much respect league wide. How many times did you see someone say guys like Sherman and Haden were better. Those guys are obviously not Hall worthy yet. I would have argued until I dropped dead that Revis was best in the league when he was with us. But he wont make it to the Hall just because of this lost respect.

Idk if it will keep him out of the hall, but I do find it funny that when the talking heads talk about the best corner now it is always Sherman and Haden are the names you hear.
NJerseypaint

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GangGreen420 wrote:
walsdrjets wrote:
rdelaney89 wrote:
walsdrjets wrote:
xenajets wrote:
Makes me feel so much better trading him after hearing him say stuff like that......

I used to think that Revis was on a hall of fame pace. Now I know what seperates him from the Woodsons, Polamalus and Reeds is that they led their teams and made their teamates better. Frankly, Im glad he is happy to be paid 16M to have his talents wasted on a terrible team.

He will most likely be in the hall of fame. He is easily the best corner since prime time and even then they had 2 different styles of play, Revis removes an entire player from the field. The fact that Aso was even mentioned in the same breath as Revis is a joke. The worst part about Revis is his contract demands, by all reports he was a great teammate.

I agree but think that over the past two years he has lost so much respect league wide. How many times did you see someone say guys like Sherman and Haden were better. Those guys are obviously not Hall worthy yet. I would have argued until I dropped dead that Revis was best in the league when he was with us. But he wont make it to the Hall just because of this lost respect.

Idk if it will keep him out of the hall, but I do find it funny that when the talking heads talk about the best corner now it is always Sherman and Haden are the names you hear.

Their impact is way more visible with Revis stuck playing cushion zone most of the time.
Bobby816

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The man summed up his career in one sentence, "I'd rather the 4 extra million." Proves how selfsish and money driven he is. The man has talent don't get me wrong, but his selfishness is what made the Jets trade him away. His holdouts, his injuries and he still wants to be paid an extreme amount of money. It's not Wins that matters to him, and I'd rather 22 guys on my team that want to win rather than 1 HOF player.
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby816 wrote:
The man summed up his career in one sentence, "I'd rather the 4 extra million." Proves how selfsish and money driven he is. The man has talent don't get me wrong, but his selfishness is what made the Jets trade him away. His holdouts, his injuries and he still wants to be paid an extreme amount of money. It's not Wins that matters to him, and I'd rather 22 guys on my team that want to win rather than 1 HOF player.

rather than 1 HOF money hungry player that isn't a QB*
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJerseypaint wrote:
GangGreen420 wrote:
walsdrjets wrote:
rdelaney89 wrote:
walsdrjets wrote:
xenajets wrote:

Their impact is way more visible with Revis stuck playing cushion zone most of the time.

Yea zone is hurting him as well as not being on a contender. If he was on a contending team or in the NY spotlight he would still be the talk of the league. Not to mention he didn't play almost all of last year so there isn't too much to judge him in man coverage since the injury.
Jetsman82

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you guys think Revis was being 100% serious with that response you're being blind haters.

Ideally, he wouldn't have even answered the guy. To be honest, it was dumb to respond at all. No answer to that question would have avoided scrutiny.
It has been quite a privileged chat or work with you guys. From time to time.. From Craziness to Serious-mindedness.. From Troll to Boredom.. From Babes to Jets. From Foreigner to American.. Whatever!
KingOfTheDot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walsdrjets wrote:
KingOfTheDot wrote:
walsdrjets wrote:
xenajets wrote:

smh....... the most overused cliche in sports in "made their teammates better"

The joke is on you. Overused cliche is an oximoron

joke circles back around, you spelled oxymoron wrong
walsdrjets

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="KingOfTheDot"][quote="walsdrjets"]
KingOfTheDot wrote:
walsdrjets wrote:
xenajets wrote:

smh....... the most overused cliche in sports in "made their teammates better"

I did that onpupus.
mikejets22

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New HC, new GM, new regime....................

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd take the extra 4 million too.
famousj

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible Revis gets cut with Luvie Smith playing a Tampa 2 defensive scheme. Luvie Smith can develop a defense where Revis plays more one on one play. If Revis was going to get cut I don't think Revis comes back to the Jets. Too much pride and Woody Johnson don't want him back. Nice thought but NO. I hope Tampa keeps him and we get that 3rd round pick.

Props to Sandwich for Sig

Idzik: SPEND BABY SPEND!!!!
Bobby816

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I think with Lovie Smith coming in, the odds of Revis getting cut is slim to none. He's a defensive HC, I don't see him cutting his best defensive player really. Plus in Chicago he has pretty darn good CBs while there, so he's used to above average CB play, so I'm sure he doesn't want to cut that luxury.
Jetsfandan423

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it will be interesting to see what happens, I don't know if Revis was on the market, if we would push to sign him. Certainly Rex and the team would love to have him back, but I doubt Idzik or Woody still wants to pay him.

Lovie Smith is a great defensive coach, but he does run a Tampa 2 defense, which employs a lot of zone. Obviously we all know Revis' affinity for man. To me if you have a coach who knows how to best utilize his player, and Revis when fully healthy is the best CB in the game, I think they both will adapt to one another. Unless ownership doesn't want to pay him, I think Revis stays in Tampa.

Adopt a Jet: David Harris
TCKL: 73 SACK: 2 FF: 1 INT: 0
jetskid007

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport is told new Bucs coach Lovie Smith has "big plans" for Darrelle Revis.
RapSheet confirms Revis "absolutely" has a future in Tampa Bay. There was speculation otherwise immediately after the hire because Smith's background is in Cover-2 zone, but Lovie uses far more man-to-man coverage than popular opinion posits. Revis is going to be a star in Tampa. He finished the 2013 season as PFF's No. 1-rated corner and is a virtual lock to resume shadowing No. 1 receivers, as Lovie let Charles Tillman do often in Chicago.

We can likely put an end to this debate if Rapoport is correct...
mikejets22

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Revis 2014? Reply with quote

mikejets22 wrote:
Just a thought here, but how is this scenario:

Thus far, the Revis and Bucs experiment hasn't panned out and the team is looking down.

It's early, so that's not to say they won't figure out how to properly use 24. But if they don't, and they bomb the season would they consider using that $16 million in another fashion next season? None of his $ is guaranteed, so they could easily decide he isn't a fit for the defense and go in another direction.

Benefits for TB: Save $16 million, and the 3rd rounder you owe the Jets becomes a 4th rounder.

Negatives for TB: Wasted a 1st rounder and $16 mil. They might not let him go on pride alone.

Now, if they do decide to part ways with Revis after this season, I can't see the market for him being close to 16 mill/per. Probably closer to the 11-13 range, IMO. He'll be nearly 30 years old and 2 years removed from his dominant man-coverage days, with an ACL injury thrown in.

However unlikely, you'd have to imagine there would be interest from the Jets. We do have money to spend next offseason.

Jeeze, the divorce between Woody and Revis may not have been pretty, but a reunion would be beautiful. Imagine Revis shutting down half the field with our dline a year more mature.

Too good to be true and a lot of what-ifs...but man...what if...

Wink Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: