Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Week 9 GDT: Bye Week v Jaguars
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at least Tennessee is losing...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:

The scum of the Earth... Excuse me. The Titan won.

How does a team go 0-17 when there are only 16 games in a season?

DarthDavis wrote:
I tell you I respect the Jags forum nothing but classy posters. They got a good group over there.
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jags wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:

The scum of the Earth... Excuse me. The Titan won.

How does a team go 0-17 when there are only 16 games in a season?

Because Jaguars

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One positive - PFF has graded Pasztor as the #2 o-lineman in pass blocking efficiency this year. Take their grades how you will (I suggest with a grain of salt), but it's positive to see what we're seeing reflected in analysis of some kind.

- Best since day one -
It may not be easy, but we ain't riding no tire fire merry-go-round.
- Gus Bradley
Tugboat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think that kinda 'rating', and even the 'eye test' seems to get a bit skewed when you have the awful links that we do on the interior line for example.

I mean, you don't have to pass protect that well, just better than Will Rackley, so he takes the blame instead. Laughing I mean, if you can hold up for for a couple seconds, odds are good Rackley has already given up a sack and your play is over, job done. Cool
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tugboat wrote:
I still think that kinda 'rating', and even the 'eye test' seems to get a bit skewed when you have the awful links that we do on the interior line for example.

I mean, you don't have to pass protect that well, just better than Will Rackley, so he takes the blame instead. Laughing I mean, if you can hold up for for a couple seconds, odds are good Rackley has already given up a sack and your play is over, job done. Cool
Like I said, grain of salt.

Beyond their system being flawed, the issue you brought up might not be as prominent as the point made. Most of their ratings are simple +- ratings. Stonewall your guy or take him out of the play, you get a +, have some issues, you get a -. They don't grade simply on how often you give up a rush, but rather how often you get beat, regardless of if it comes into a pressure or not. If you've stonewalled a guy through 2.5 seconds (probably about how long our average drop back is), it's not likely that you're going to lose complete control within a half second longer.

There's some issues with how they compile data and how they assign blame, but the concept of a metric telling us these things is solid. PFF's execution of said metrics isn't always reliable though. Last I checked, they had Rackley as the second worst guard in the league, only behind one who was cut midseason, so they can get some things right. Conversely, they had Alualu graded as the 2nd worst 4-3 DE in the NFL. While he hasn't been great, I'm almost certain he'd have a better grade if he was graded as a 3-4 end and not a 4-3 end. I have a feeling he's getting trashed for his lack of wins in the pass rush, but his role is to set the edge as a 5-tech, not create a pass rush, so that affords a lot of - scores in the pass rush when he's not even rushing the passer.

All that said, yes things likely aren't quite as good as the metrics show, but I don't think you get that score unless you are actually playing well. Top 2 across the entire o-line, likely not. But top 10 at RT as a pass blocker, I think is reasonable.

- Best since day one -
It may not be easy, but we ain't riding no tire fire merry-go-round.
- Gus Bradley
Vino

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing we lost to the Bye Week >.>

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: