Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Should Chris Jones be in the discussion for DROY?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mcmurtry86


Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 23724
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not seeing the Wright/Jones comparisons beyond their aesthetic similarities. Jones is a good 2 inches shorter, 10-15 lbs heavier, stockier and has shorter arms. He's Warren Sapp/Cortez Kennedy sized. He doesn't have the length to kick out to 5-technique I don't think.

I also think Jones has more base package value than Wright who IMO was always miscast as a starting player in either front. He was a good situational rusher, but play with enough strength or leverage to hold his ground in the run game.

Jones should be able to improve in the run game with some good coaching and a little more weight.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
24isthelaw


Joined: 15 Nov 2010
Posts: 7615
Location: Where the Patriots are
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
I'm not seeing the Wright/Jones comparisons beyond their aesthetic similarities.


That's a good way to get around it.
_________________

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
derekstanggt


Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 920
Location: Austin
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goldfishwars wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
On the other hand, if he's used more sparingly, he might be fresher throughout games and get better push when he's called on. Plus, if he's used strictly on passing downs he might just be able to pin his ears back and go right at the QB, which might actually help his production.


I think that's what he is eventually.


At his size, I don't know that he'll be just a pass rusher, a la Mike Wright or Jarvis Green. I could see him adding another 10-15 lbs by next season and becoming a stout presence next to Wilfork. He's looked pretty athletic this season though, so I hope he doesn't lose any speed or burst. I still like what I've seen from him, and hope he develops into a solid DT. We'll still need to draft a high DT next year though, and maybe even double dip again.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mcmurtry86


Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 23724
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After an intriguing start, Jones has become quite anonymous. Paired with a semi-decent fatty (Siliga), Jones has been a bit less awful vs. the run. But he has done very little in the pass game over the past 5+ games.

I don't know that I'd pencil him in as a likely roster contributor in 2014.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dhunt2402


Moderator
Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Posts: 21959
Location: The District
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
After an intriguing start, Jones has become quite anonymous. Paired with a semi-decent fatty (Siliga), Jones has been a bit less awful vs. the run. But he has done very little in the pass game over the past 5+ games.

I don't know that I'd pencil him in as a likely roster contributor in 2014.


Yeah a regression to the norm was overdue for him. Decent depth, possibly a preseason cut if they really beef up the D-line this offseason would be my prediction.
_________________

Deadpulse on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rabbisson


Joined: 26 Dec 2004
Posts: 28827
Location: Stam#PoWwW
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
After an intriguing start, Jones has become quite anonymous. Paired with a semi-decent fatty (Siliga), Jones has been a bit less awful vs. the run. But he has done very little in the pass game over the past 5+ games.

I don't know that I'd pencil him in as a likely roster contributor in 2014.


He's gotten pressures, just not the effort sacks he had in earlier weeks. He's shown up to me in the past few weeks. He had a great first quarter against the Browns and also looked good this week vs. Baltimore. Hopefully he continues to prove his value as a rotational DT.
_________________

Iggles wrote:
This guy gets it. Seriously, the ideas being espoused here need to get to 88 mph so they can go back to the 1950's.

I'm a cold-blooded dickens.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
patsfan25


Joined: 07 Dec 2008
Posts: 5152
Location: CenCal
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the guy we ripped off the Dolphin's PS at the end of preseason correct?
_________________
On Logan Ryan, pre-draft:
patsfan25 wrote:
Logan Ryan will be the steal of the draft.


Aite,

peace.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
goldfishwars


Joined: 27 Mar 2011
Posts: 8581
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patsfan25 wrote:
This is the guy we ripped off the Dolphin's PS at the end of preseason correct?


Nah, it's Houston's 6th round pick from this year who was subsequently cut, picked up by the Buccs and then subsequently cut from them before we got our hands on him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Billy Spikes


Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 39856
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anything, maybe Logan Ryan could be the DROY since Tyrann Mathieu has been injured for the last few weeks of the season, there hasn't been a dominant rookie sack or tackles-wise like most seasons and the pick of Manning was highly publicized. Plus he has 5 INTs on the year, including a pick-six, 1.5 sacks, forced some fumbles and has played very well in general the past few weeks... it's possible.

patsfan25 wrote:
This is the guy we ripped off the Dolphin's PS at the end of preseason correct?


You're thinking about A.J. Francis.
_________________
#JDI
Official Roster Cutdowns Thread
All Time Top Ten Safeties Ranking
Tom Brady Tribute
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
24isthelaw


Joined: 15 Nov 2010
Posts: 7615
Location: Where the Patriots are
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
If anything, maybe Logan Ryan could be the DROY since Tyrann Mathieu has been injured for the last few weeks of the season, there hasn't been a dominant rookie sack or tackles-wise like most seasons and the pick of Manning was highly publicized. Plus he has 5 INTs on the year, including a pick-six, 1.5 sacks, forced some fumbles and has played very well in general the past few weeks... it's possible.


Kiko Alonso probably has it on lock... Ryan is a rotational player still. Alonso started from day 1, studded out, and has 4 picks which is great for a linebacker.
_________________

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Billy Spikes


Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 39856
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

24isthelaw wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
If anything, maybe Logan Ryan could be the DROY since Tyrann Mathieu has been injured for the last few weeks of the season, there hasn't been a dominant rookie sack or tackles-wise like most seasons and the pick of Manning was highly publicized. Plus he has 5 INTs on the year, including a pick-six, 1.5 sacks, forced some fumbles and has played very well in general the past few weeks... it's possible.


Kiko Alonso probably has it on lock... Ryan is a rotational player still. Alonso started from day 1, studded out, and has 4 picks which is great for a linebacker.


While true that he will probably win it, he has been pretty much a ghost most of the season, those 4 picks came in the first 4 games and unlike the Patriots [possibly 12-4 record] the Bills will once again miss the playoffs with a similar record to last year.

Since he does put up a nice tackle numbers he will probably win it though, as mentioned.
_________________
#JDI
Official Roster Cutdowns Thread
All Time Top Ten Safeties Ranking
Tom Brady Tribute
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
patsfan06


Joined: 19 Nov 2010
Posts: 2836
Location: Chestnut Hill
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall, Jones has had a fantastic season for a 6th round pick rookie who has already been cut twice.

Not sure we could have expected any more.

He has holes in his game, but if he can continue improving, and adding size to make more of an impact in the run game he can be a solid NFLer.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group