Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Spare Parts Work Just Fine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sack Exchange

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Spare Parts Work Just Fine Reply with quote

Is it me or are all of these street free agent receivers we pulled off the scrap heap playing well? David Nelson, Josh Cribbs, Greg Salas, and Zach Sudfeld all contributed rather well considering how thin the Jets are at WR. Many teams with much more talent than this have not generated this type of production, especially against a sixth ranked defense I believe? Like I said, I know these guys are rejects and cast offs but I am more than satisfied with their production thus far. We could trade Santonio Holmes along with his contract for a box of footballs and I would call it even. Considering our rookie QB is throwing to a bunch of members from the land of misfit toys with this measurement of success is a testament to the coaching and will of the players themselves. We obviously need to overhaul and upgrade this position in the offseason but for now I shall remain impressed the Jets managed to make chicken soup from a bunch of feathers!
green24

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of these guys did not start the season on the team.

David Nelson didn't make the Browns.

Josh Cribbs didn't make the Raiders.

Zach Sudfeld was claimed off waivers from the Patriots.

Greg Salas was signed off the Eagles PS.
rickyt31

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know Salas was that fast. I like him and Nelson so far.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickyt31 wrote:

Eagle fans were raving about him in TC. They were shocked/upset when he was cut.
rickyt31

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
rickyt31 wrote:

Eagle fans were raving about him in TC. They were shocked/upset when he was cut.

I remember hearing his name, but never looked him up. But I like the little bit I've seen from him. Seem like he can develop into a threat in this system.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cribbs was such a great signing. He's done a lot of good things for us. Same with Nelson.
mikejets22

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The key with these receivers is simple. They are NFL receivers who can run routes. Now, they are not stars but they know how to be pros. Guys like Clyde Gates, Stephen Hill (still learning) struggle to run good routes, or know where to be in certain situations, or how to adjust mid route. David Nelson and even Salas so far aren't spectacular, but they are solid, efficient.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I noticed was there didn't seem to be timing, or they weren't confident with Geno's timing deep with WRs so they ran a lotta short hitch or screen type of route to minimize the damage of that
Wilkasaur

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far so good I'd say for all the WRs signed mid-season.

I love what Nelson has brought, I don't think I've seen him drop a ball.

What we have seen from both Salas and Sudfeld has also been pretty good both made some key plays today. Very Happy
jetskid007

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KBS756 wrote:
One thing I noticed was there didn't seem to be timing, or they weren't confident with Geno's timing deep with WRs so they ran a lotta short hitch or screen type of route to minimize the damage of that

They put the training wheels back on Geno today, and it worked. I don't think it will every week, but today they were able to get pressure, make just enough big plays, and win the turnover battle. Some weeks Geno is going to have to sling it, but this one was all about minimizing mistakes and playing great defense.
FrankJets

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geno on a bye is going to be big for the chemistry with his receivers. It looks like we are going to lose Kerley for the year, but I like what we are getting from Cribbs, Nelson, and Salas. Looks ok for now.
xenajets

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
rickyt31 wrote:

Either MM liked what he saw last year working with him or someone from that organisation who is still friendly with MM gave him a nice little heads up!!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrankJets wrote:
Geno on a bye is going to be big for the chemistry with his receivers. It looks like we are going to lose Kerley for the year, but I like what we are getting from Cribbs, Nelson, and Salas. Looks ok for now.

Yea I agree that video had broken radius and ulna all over it.
Davey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But they're not, really. What they'll be is good competition for #4 and #5 spots, where they should be. These are guys that struggle to get open consistently and it's a huge credit to Smith that he didn't force many balls yesterday because the key really was that we won the turnover battle. The leading receiver yesterday was Salas, who gained all of his yards on two screen plays. You can't really understate the fact that Geno Smith had his least prolific game of the season, we're lacking NFL quality targets.

Holmes remains far and away the best receiver on the team, that can get open consistently at least against a number of starting defenders in 1v1 situations and when he returns hopefully we'll have a receiver Geno Smith trusts, things will open up for Hill, and we'll start having decent gains through the air again.
Bobby816

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what this shows us, is how good this team could be if we did have talent at WR. These guys are NFL WRs so they're not terrible but they are also not Megatron and Welker either. This was the 1st game IMO I saw us play they way I thought we would. Running the football, playing good defense and having Geno pick his spots. Now if we can grab a couple sokid WRs in the offseason it will only make the whole offense better.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: