Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Tarell Brown Nearing a Contract Extension

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
J-ALL-DAY


Joined: 17 Oct 2007
Posts: 27669
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Tarell Brown Nearing a Contract Extension Reply with quote

Jason La Confora just reported it and he will likely get the two million he lost in the offseason.

So at the very least we will have Brown and Culliver back next next season.

Edit:

Quote:
Jason La Canfora (@JasonLaCanfora) tweeted at 8:17 AM on Sun, Nov 03, 2013:
49ers CB Tarell Brown, who lost out on $2M offseason workout bonus, should have new deal this month: http://t.co/ebTO7s4aor
(https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/397034699568463872)

_________________


Last edited by J-ALL-DAY on Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
49ers Finest


Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 9339
Location: San Jose
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good for him. seems like a team player. i see a nice contract for him and the team

cully and brown on the outside. with wright (hopefully morriss) on the inside
then a rookie and a later guy like cox. i would be very happy with that

now do we keep whitner around? we know his struggles but he brings leadership and smarts to that d and secndary. i think he stays around for a good price for a few more years
_________________
***WE RUN THE WEST!***
SB AT HOME!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

new sig... sorry alex
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
J-ALL-DAY


Joined: 17 Oct 2007
Posts: 27669
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whitner has been one of the best safeties in the league this year. I love his leadership and has improved on his coverage. He still will mever be great in space, but his positives outweigh his negatives. The fact he has allowed 0 TDs in 8 games after allowing 12 last year is remarkable.

It will come down to how much he asks, and if he is willing to take a bit of a discount.

Brock is a guy we need to keep as well, but he probably gets a bigger contract elsewhere.

Either way, our CB situation next season will not solid once again.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AMG1713


Joined: 05 Mar 2013
Posts: 679
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ers Finest wrote:
good for him. seems like a team player. i see a nice contract for him and the team

cully and brown on the outside. with wright (hopefully morriss) on the inside
then a rookie and a later guy like cox. i would be very happy with that

now do we keep whitner around? we know his struggles but he brings leadership and smarts to that d and secndary. i think he stays around for a good price for a few more years


I'd love to keep Whitner around at a reasonable price. I think he's been a lot better this year than he was last year.

Great news about Brown, though. I'd love it if we could get Brock done, too. I'd be very comfortable going into 2014 with our top 3 corners as Brown, Brock, and Culliver.
_________________
BoosterRooster22 wrote:
I'd bet my house that JaMarcus Russell has a successful career
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Forge


Joined: 19 Feb 2010
Posts: 7183
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Whitner has been one of the best safeties in the league this year. I love his leadership and has improved on his coverage. He still will mever be great in space, but his positives outweigh his negatives. The fact he has allowed 0 TDs in 8 games after allowing 12 last year is remarkable.

It will come down to how much he asks, and if he is willing to take a bit of a discount.

Brock is a guy we need to keep as well, but he probably gets a bigger contract elsewhere.

Either way, our CB situation next season will not solid once again.


I've never been a huge fan of Whitner's on the field play, but I have advocated that I thought we would re-sign him for a year or two after this season so long as he is amenable to that short of a contract. In all honesty, I feel he will. If this year's free agent safety market was any indication, veteran, quality safeties can be had on the cheap and aren't getting nearly as much money as they feel their worth. I think if we make a fair offer to him, he'll sign. And he's young enough that a couple more years isn't a big deal.

As for Brown, I'm glad he should be back. He's our best corner, and with so much uncertainty regarding the position heading into next year, I'm thankful we will at least have this. I still feel he'd be a better fit in the slot just due to his height, but he clearly has the skill to play on the outside, even if he gets eaten up a bit by bigger wide outs. With Culliver having to come back from injury, I think this is a good idea.

I'm going to assume that we resign Brock, who has been both impressive and mind boggling frustrating at times this year. He should be fairly cheap as his excellent play is fairly limited, and if we can lock him into a 3 year deal or something, it could potentially pay huge dividends down the road. He could be our next preemptive Alex Boone type signing.

Rogers obviously will still be gone (or restructured), and I honestly see no reason to bring Wright back. Cox is only a restricted free agent, so he could very easily return. I still think we draft a corner fairly early in the draft, but I wouldn't be surprised with the resigning of Brown if we went another direction on the first day.
_________________


Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
J-ALL-DAY


Joined: 17 Oct 2007
Posts: 27669
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is there not to like about Whitner's play this season? He had the one bad play against Fitzgerald, but aside from that has been rock solid. You will rarely ever see him miss his assignment, and he's a great run stopper. His coverage skills this season are one of the biggest surprises for the entire team this year.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
49ers Finest


Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 9339
Location: San Jose
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maicco said the team is no working on this and he is on his way to be a ufa
_________________
***WE RUN THE WEST!***
SB AT HOME!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

new sig... sorry alex
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AMG1713


Joined: 05 Mar 2013
Posts: 679
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The 49ers have not engaged in recent contract talks with cornerback Tarell Brown, who appears on pace to become an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season, sources told CSNBayArea.com on Sunday.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/sources-49ers-brown-not-making-progress-toward-new-contract

So much for that. Not surprising, though. Jason La Canfora is one of the worst "insiders" today. He was saying there was no chance that Harbaugh was coming here up to right before he was actually hired. Guy is a doofus.
_________________
BoosterRooster22 wrote:
I'd bet my house that JaMarcus Russell has a successful career
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Forge


Joined: 19 Feb 2010
Posts: 7183
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
What is there not to like about Whitner's play this season? He had the one bad play against Fitzgerald, but aside from that has been rock solid. You will rarely ever see him miss his assignment, and he's a great run stopper. His coverage skills this season are one of the biggest surprises for the entire team this year.


His play is fine this season; a pleasant surprise, honestly. I just meant in general/years past (especially since I'm a guy who prefers coverage safeties to hard hitting run stoppers). I'm not a fan of rewarding one good year of play against 2 or 3 okay years. He's always strong against the run (though not as good of a tackler as a lot of people think), but I do love the leadership he helps bring to that defense. Great character guy for the locker room. I don't mind having him back at all.
_________________


Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
big9erfan


Joined: 26 Feb 2007
Posts: 14410
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brown is not an elite CB, but he is solid and we could do a lot worse. I'm glad to hear we may be keeping him for a few more seasons. But I would like to see us add a big, tough CB in the draft.

As for Whitner I have never understood what seems to me the unreasonable amount of criticism he gets. There may be a few better SSs out there, but IMHO not many. Every player is ultimately replaceable. But I would sure like for us to find a way to re-sign him too.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Forge


Joined: 19 Feb 2010
Posts: 7183
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
Brown is not an elite CB, but he is solid and we could do a lot worse. I'm glad to hear we may be keeping him for a few more seasons. But I would like to see us add a big, tough CB in the draft.

As for Whitner I have never understood what seems to me the unreasonable amount of criticism he gets. There may be a few better SSs out there, but IMHO not many. Every player is ultimately replaceable. But I would sure like for us to find a way to re-sign him too.


I guess it depends on who to believe; personally if I hear conflicting reports, I'm immediately thinking that La Confra is wrong lol. It wouldn't be shocking considering there was never any talk of a new contract prior, and usually we get little inklings or tidbits here and there when possible extensions are going to be signed. I'd like to have him back (at the right cost) if only to alleviate some of the cornerback concerns we will have next season, but he may be wanting more money than Baalke thinks he's worth.
_________________


Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
big9erfan


Joined: 26 Feb 2007
Posts: 14410
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
Brown is not an elite CB, but he is solid and we could do a lot worse. I'm glad to hear we may be keeping him for a few more seasons. But I would like to see us add a big, tough CB in the draft.

As for Whitner I have never understood what seems to me the unreasonable amount of criticism he gets. There may be a few better SSs out there, but IMHO not many. Every player is ultimately replaceable. But I would sure like for us to find a way to re-sign him too.


I guess it depends on who to believe; personally if I hear conflicting reports, I'm immediately thinking that La Confra is wrong lol. It wouldn't be shocking considering there was never any talk of a new contract prior, and usually we get little inklings or tidbits here and there when possible extensions are going to be signed. I'd like to have him back (at the right cost) if only to alleviate some of the cornerback concerns we will have next season, but he may be wanting more money than Baalke thinks he's worth.


I heard some 49er "insider" (can't remember who) say that we were still trying to find a way to get Brown the $2 million he lost. I assumed at the time he meant a contract extension. So it seems pretty reasonable to me.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Swift21


Joined: 20 Oct 2011
Posts: 1101
Location: SF
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMG1713 wrote:
Quote:
The 49ers have not engaged in recent contract talks with cornerback Tarell Brown, who appears on pace to become an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season, sources told CSNBayArea.com on Sunday.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/sources-49ers-brown-not-making-progress-toward-new-contract

So much for that. Not surprising, though. Jason La Canfora is one of the worst "insiders" today. He was saying there was no chance that Harbaugh was coming here up to right before he was actually hired. Guy is a doofus.


Yep La Canfora strikes again.
_________________

Sig credit goes to IDOG_det
SoS wrote:
Pete is just an arrogant wanna-be Jim Harbaugh but he's just not as smart.
Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group