Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Roger Goodell is ruining the NFL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doumeyer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Roger Goodell is ruining the NFL Reply with quote

Roger Goodell has to be told his new rules are ruining the game. Some of these calls are ridiculous, like that one against the Jets late in the game. Game after game you see the same crap he want to make pro football a non contact game. AND THESE REFS, can't wait to thru the flag. You can't hit a QB from the knees down or from the neck up, or if you hit him in the stomach to hard it unnecessary roughess.
ukjets21

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this really need to be here? It was a BS call for the hit on Brees from Bush but that was just bad officiating, the rules regarding hits aren't that bad at all. Especially as wrap up tackling is actually better most of the time.

Adopt a Jet: Sheldon Richardson

Tackles - 77
Sacks - 3.5
Forced Fumbles - 1
4 Carries - 4 Yards - 2 TDs
Davey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger Goodell works for the owners. They're, for all intents and purposes, the owner's rules.

Quarterbacks are protected because they sign deals that average 20m a season and get ridiculous amounts of guaranteed money. It's protecting their investments. I'm not justifying it, but that's what's going on.

Additionally, the other safety rules regarding head trauma is so the league can still exist, to be frank. Before the extent of concussion damage potential was known, the league could argue that it didn't know the affects of head damage and thus could argue that they shouldn't be held accountable for what is happening with all of these retired players. Now that people know though, if the league isn't doing everything they can to prevent those injuries, they would find themselves in an unbelievable amount of legal trouble.
doumeyer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It the rules that are causing bad officating. the refs are throwing the flag before they see a replay. at least 40% of these call are wrong.
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doumeyer wrote:
It the rules that are causing bad officating. the refs are throwing the flag before they see a replay. at least 40% of these call are wrong.

I'm sorry I don't like any of your posts and I think this is an unnecessary thread.
mikejets22

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm far from an authority on this matter, but I've seen threads created for less important things than this.

It's a tremendous conversation piece. The fact that they threw that flag on the Brees tackle is a HUGE deal. What do you want defenders to do? Stayed low, away from head and wrapped him up. I get protecting QBs and investments, but how absurd to penalize a player for trying (a succeeding) at following the rules that are being emphasized.

And I'm not saying this is against the Jets - it's league wide, week in and week out. A real shame.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rules are just a knee jerk reaction to potential lawsuits that will come in a few years.

Personally I feel the NFL is a brutal game, all players coming into the game know this. Some Players (Junior Seau) stay in the game way to long. I think it is a little unfair to hold the NFL Liable for a game that is inherently dangerous. I do think the NFL should provide more assistance to those who are struggling with health issues, but they should not be held 100 percent liable.
Rockice_8

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doumeyer wrote:

Way too tough to put a # on something like that. The rules are fine. It was just a bad call. Happens all the time.

These refs are probably told to throw the flag if you think it's close so they do. That one was close so they threw it. He'll only ruin the NFL when he puts a team in London than he will have officially ruined the NFL.

Props to Mack on the sig
Davey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kilahchris wrote:
The rules are just a knee jerk reaction to potential lawsuits that will come in a few years.

Personally I feel the NFL is a brutal game, all players coming into the game know this. Some Players (Junior Seau) stay in the game way to long. I think it is a little unfair to hold the NFL Liable for a game that is inherently dangerous. I do think the NFL should provide more assistance to those who are struggling with health issues, but they should not be held 100 percent liable.

The seriousness of the health issues pertains to head injuries mostly, and it's a situation of if they're not being diagnosed properly and treated properly the damage is already done. It's the culture of equating toughness with playing through head injuries and thinking that you can play still because you're not physically impaired that's causing huge problems. Getting a concussion is not good, but continuing to play when you have one can be absolutely catastrophic and you can risk doing serious mental damage to yourself that way. They want to protect the head, which is understandable. It's why they flag helmet-to-helmets obviously and you see all those commercials for coaches teaching kids safer tackling.

The problem is, simply, that most players essentially at the high school level or higher are already playing the game on muscle memory. The higher the level you're at, the more difficult it is to re-learn how you do things. Football is taking initiative to teach kids safer ways to tackle but that's not going to become effective on the major college and pro level for at least another decade. Thus, it feels unfair to penalize teams so heavily for these helmet-to-helmet hits(unless intent to injure is really obvious) when it's how they're just playing how they've been raised to play. If you really feel the need, fine them off the field. But don't make it affect the game. Because these players can't change the way they play and it's frankly not their fault.
kilahchris

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davey wrote:
kilahchris wrote:

The seriousness of the health issues pertains to head injuries mostly, and it's a situation of if they're not being diagnosed properly and treated properly the damage is already done. It's the culture of equating toughness with playing through head injuries and thinking that you can play still because you're not physically impaired that's causing huge problems. Getting a concussion is not good, but continuing to play when you have one can be absolutely catastrophic and you can risk doing serious mental damage to yourself that way. They want to protect the head, which is understandable. It's why they flag helmet-to-helmets obviously and you see all those commercials for coaches teaching kids safer tackling.

The problem is, simply, that most players essentially at the high school level or higher are already playing the game on muscle memory. The higher the level you're at, the more difficult it is to re-learn how you do things. Football is taking initiative to teach kids safer ways to tackle but that's not going to become effective on the major college and pro level for at least another decade. Thus, it feels unfair to penalize teams so heavily for these helmet-to-helmet hits(unless intent to injure is really obvious) when it's how they're just playing how they've been raised to play. If you really feel the need, fine them off the field. But don't make it affect the game. Because these players can't change the way they play and it's frankly not their fault.

Exactly. An more importantly The players currently in the game will not change the way the play the game. It simply will not happen. They will just pay the fines and play the game the way they were taught
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davey wrote:
kilahchris wrote:

ehh I know muscle memory and how you're taught are viable excuses but that is like saying you were raised to hate minorities and using that as an excuse to be racist. Times change and you have to adapt (survival of the fittest) if you can't adapt then you perish. Teams and players that do not adjust their play style will be fined and penalized, I am fine with that.

That being said I think that you should be able to review a 15 yard penalty. If the intent is still there than fine, that should be limited to one call a game though because the game is already far to long to begin with.
Harris Smith

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the problem is so much the rules or the reasoning behind them, it's that the officials seem not to understand the concept of discretion. And it applies to all kinds of penalty calls.

Jerry Jones once made a good point about the officials when he pointed out that Ed Hocculi spends the entire game with the whistle in his mouth. It seems to me, if they're not absolutely certain that a foul has occured, they shouldn't be so quick to throw a flag. I'd rather they miss a few calls then potentially influence the outcome of games with non-reviewable penalties.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: