Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jay Ratliff signs with Bears
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sugashane

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KG1187 wrote:
Sugashane wrote:
KG1187 wrote:
Sugashane wrote:
DaMike wrote:
KG1187 wrote:
Not worried about Ratliff missing 2-4weeks because there's a good chance this season ended in Washington. If he plays well wonder if the Bears would consider extending Melton Collins and Ratliff. Can never have enough UT depth. With Melton due for a pay cut because of his knee it's doable budget wise.
We better not resign Collins.

I'd have to agree. I like Collins, but he is not a very good player, he is purely a depth player, and is now a depth player coming off a torn ACL. I would keep him on my emergency list, no doubt, but there are many more players who may prove have higher ceilings for low prices.

You wouldn't bring back Collins at vet min? Can't imagine he would command more than the minimum with the injury. Besides a team can never have too much functional depth which Collins provides. But I do agree if Collins wants a dime more than the minimum let him walk.

He could be worth the vet min, but his ceiling is very low and our defense absolutely depends on the DL. That is a poor situation to just throw a poor player in, and is a part of why our DL was such a mess after just Melton went down. I would like to add a player with a contract near the minimum that might have a higher ceiling. Then even if they fail we could still fall back on Collins. My other issue with throwing him a roster spot is that he is ONLY an UT, he just can't be put at NT without being a big liability. That means he would be at best the 4th best person we could plug in at just the UT we have just his year before signing Ratliff (Melton, Paea, Wooton, then Collins). Now with Ratliff he is 5th, and I think we could get more production out of Minter than him next year, as Minter will be more NFL ready, and we might get a boost out of Cohen that may be more than we could get from Collins. I would feel much better about trying to lure Izzy back with a 1 year $1 mil deal than rely on Collins, then we have a solid backup DE and UT.

Haven't watched many Lions games this year but it seems unlikely Izzy would help next years line judging from his stats. Only 3 tackles with no sacks or forced fumbles. On pace for a six tackle season with no sacks. Bears may have let him go at the exact right moment like Kreutz. Looks like Izzy but got old in one off season.

Could be a exactly right, I haven't really followed him or the Lions honestly. If its not the Bears on we're likely throwing the ball around with the TV hooked up on the back patio. Getting cold now though so I'll likely start being a better fan. lol.

But that same pattern is what I am after, either aiming for a higher possible ceiling or a combination of steady play and versatility. He's a guy I wouldn't mind adding in a pinch, but I would want to try to aim higher in the beginning of the season after final cuts, all across the line.

Next year I'm adopting all the NFC North rivals

Thanks to chisoxguy7 for the awesome sig!
KG1187

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sugashane wrote:
KG1187 wrote:
Sugashane wrote:
KG1187 wrote:
Sugashane wrote:
DaMike wrote:
KG1187 wrote:
Not worried about Ratliff missing 2-4weeks because there's a good chance this season ended in Washington. If he plays well wonder if the Bears would consider extending Melton Collins and Ratliff. Can never have enough UT depth. With Melton due for a pay cut because of his knee it's doable budget wise.
We better not resign Collins.

I'd have to agree. I like Collins, but he is not a very good player, he is purely a depth player, and is now a depth player coming off a torn ACL. I would keep him on my emergency list, no doubt, but there are many more players who may prove have higher ceilings for low prices.

You wouldn't bring back Collins at vet min? Can't imagine he would command more than the minimum with the injury. Besides a team can never have too much functional depth which Collins provides. But I do agree if Collins wants a dime more than the minimum let him walk.

He could be worth the vet min, but his ceiling is very low and our defense absolutely depends on the DL. That is a poor situation to just throw a poor player in, and is a part of why our DL was such a mess after just Melton went down. I would like to add a player with a contract near the minimum that might have a higher ceiling. Then even if they fail we could still fall back on Collins. My other issue with throwing him a roster spot is that he is ONLY an UT, he just can't be put at NT without being a big liability. That means he would be at best the 4th best person we could plug in at just the UT we have just his year before signing Ratliff (Melton, Paea, Wooton, then Collins). Now with Ratliff he is 5th, and I think we could get more production out of Minter than him next year, as Minter will be more NFL ready, and we might get a boost out of Cohen that may be more than we could get from Collins. I would feel much better about trying to lure Izzy back with a 1 year $1 mil deal than rely on Collins, then we have a solid backup DE and UT.

Haven't watched many Lions games this year but it seems unlikely Izzy would help next years line judging from his stats. Only 3 tackles with no sacks or forced fumbles. On pace for a six tackle season with no sacks. Bears may have let him go at the exact right moment like Kreutz. Looks like Izzy but got old in one off season.

Could be a exactly right, I haven't really followed him or the Lions honestly. If its not the Bears on we're likely throwing the ball around with the TV hooked up on the back patio. Getting cold now though so I'll likely start being a better fan. lol.

But that same pattern is what I am after, either aiming for a higher possible ceiling or a combination of steady play and versatility. He's a guy I wouldn't mind adding in a pinch, but I would want to try to aim higher in the beginning of the season after final cuts, all across the line.

Fair enough. Still like Collins back at vet min but if the Bears could bring in a better replacement with more potential I'd be all for it.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KG1187 wrote:
Fair enough. Still like Collins back at vet min but if the Bears could bring in a better replacement with more potential I'd be all for it.

I don’t think Collins is that bad a player at all…he is a decent depth DT but because of all the injuries we have we are building up depth in a guy like Cohen for next year…then if Ratliff comes in and does well they might resign him…then of course we have to bring in at least one other DT via the draft or FA and get Melton back…Paea will still be here as well so it then becomes about numbers and I can’t see how Collins coming off an ACL fits in with those numbers.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: