Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mock Offseason 2014 Edition 1.1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
topwop1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Mock Offseason 2014 Edition 1.1 Reply with quote

3-4 Defense Switch Version

Cuts/Non-Resigns

WR Eric Weems
WR Earl Bennett
RB Michael Bush
DE Julius Peppers

CB Tim Jennings
C Roberto Garza
DT Landon Cohen
TE Dante Rosario
S Major Wright
OT Jonathan Scott
LB DJ Williams
LB James Anderson
QB Josh McCown
QB Jordan Palmer

Re-signings

QB Jay Cutler (Franchise Tag) - 1 year $15 million
OG Matt Slauson – 3 years $8 million
OT Eben Britton – 2 years $2 million
C Taylor Boggs – 1 year $500k
FB Tony Fiammetta – 1 year $750k
WR Joe Anderson – 2 years $1.5 million
WR Terrence Toliver – 1 year $650k
TE Dante Rosario – 1 year $800k

DT Henry Melton - 2 years $11 million
DT Nate Collins – 1 year $950k
DE Corey Wootton – 3 years $15 million
CB Charles Tillman - 2 years $12 million
CB Sherrick McManis - 2 years $2.5 million
CB Kelvin Hayden – 1 year $950k
S Anthony Walters - 1 year $500k
S Craig Steltz - 2 years 2 years $2 million
LB Blake Costanzo – 2 years $2 million
LB Larry Grant – 1 year $950k

K Robbie Gould – 4 years $14 million
KR Devin Hester - 2 years $3.5 million
LS Patrick Mannelly – 1 year $1.2 million

Free Agency

NT Jay Ratliff – 2 years $10.5 million

SS Mike Mitchell – 3 years $6 million

C Brian de la Puente – 5 years $20 million

RB Rashad Jennings – 2 years $1.6 million

Draft

Chicago Bears finish 8-8 on the season and select 17th overall.

Round 1

OLB - Kahlil Mack - Buffalo

Round 2

CB - Marcus Roberson – Florida

Round 3

DT – DaQuan Jones – Penn State

Round 4

QB – Jimmy Garoppolo – Eastern Illinois

Round 5

TE Colt Lyerla – Oregon

Round 6

S – Avery Patterson - Oregon

Round 6

OT – Cornelius Lucas – Kansas State

Depth Chart

QB: Cutler, Garoppolo
RB: Forte, Jennings, Ford
FB: Fiammetta
WR: Marshall, Jeffery, Wilson, Anderson, Toliver
TE: Bennett, Rosario, Lyerla
LT: Bushrod, Lucas
LG: Slauson
C: de la Puente, Boggs
RG : Long, Brown
RT : Mills, Britton

LDE : Wootton, Paea
NT : Ratliff, Jones
RDE: Melton, Collins
OLB: McClellin, Washington
MLB: Briggs, Greene
MLB: Bostic, Grant, Costanzo
OLB: Mack, Bass
LCB: Roberson, Frey, Wilson
RCB: Tillman, Hayden, McManis
SS: Mitchell, Steltz
FS: Conte, Walters, Patterson

K: Gould
P: Podlesh
LS: Mannelly
KR/PR: Hester
WindyCity

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Paea and Collins cannot play in a 3-4 defense.

2. Ratliff this season I would love to have because we are terrible at DT, but I do not know with his health and head issues if I want him as a starter on this team.

3. I like the understated free agency period.

4. De La Peunta is a nice player, but I do not know if we need to make the investment in C. We are producing right now with a not very good C and I think Boggs/Cheap Free Agent or Boggs/Draft Pick would suffice.

There is a reason Boggs is active.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like this…if we stuck to a 4-3 D…Mack at RE…Wootton at LE…Melton at UT & Jones at NT would be a really solid Dline with Paea and McClellin/Washington rotating in…only other issue I would have with it is paying Ratliff that amount of money.
MiBears4

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Cutler Reply with quote

Everyone seems to think that the Franchise Tag for QB's will be about $15M. Woud anyone still Franchise him if the Tag was $18 to $20 M?

I still think signing him to a $10M to $12M per for 2 or 3 years is best. It will save money for other positions.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Cutler Reply with quote

MiBears4 wrote:
Everyone seems to think that the Franchise Tag for QB's will be about $15M. Woud anyone still Franchise him if the Tag was $18 to $20 M?

I still think signing him to a $10M to $12M per for 2 or 3 years is best. It will save money for other positions.

On what planet is Cutler taking a 2-3 year deal?

On what planet is Cutler taking 10-12 million a year?

Cutler is going to get 5 years at 17 million because that is what good starting QBs get that have not won't the Super Bowl.
topwop1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:

2. Ratliff this season I would love to have because we are terrible at DT, but I do not know with his health and head issues if I want him as a starter on this team.

4. De La Peunta is a nice player, but I do not know if we need to make the investment in C. We are producing right now with a not very good C and I think Boggs/Cheap Free Agent or Boggs/Draft Pick would suffice.

Why do you say that?

Melton can play in a 3-4 but these guys can't?
topwop1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Cutler Reply with quote

MiBears4 wrote:

Well the $15 million QB franchise tag is what is was last offseason. It may go up slightly by $1-2 million this coming offseason.

And as Windy said, you can pretty much guarantee that Jay wouldn't sign a multi year contract for anything less than $15 per season.
mikee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

topwop1 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

Why do you say that?

Because they are one gap players and they do not have the length to play on the outside in a 3-4. Melton even isn't that great of a fit.

Also, Greene and Bostic would become wasted picks. Bostic could probably play the WILB spot, but that would be the best spot for Briggs as well. Bostic is not someone that is going to take on blocks in the hole as the SILB. If anyone is suited for that on the roster it is McClellin.

I love Mack, but before all is said and done I think he ends up going top 10 in the draft, or at worst top 15. Don't see us having a shot at him.

Like your mock from the other day, I doubt the Lyerla thing is happening, and you are leaving the offense extremely thin at all of the skill positions. We won't continue to stay healthy at RB/WR/TE. The Bears need to continue bringing in young talent into the pipeline at those positions.

This team is transitioning into an offense first team for the next couple of years in all likelyhood. They need to play to that strength and focus on that side of the ball. The defense is probably going to be bad next year no matter what changes we make. The offense can be good though if we improve its depth. I know everyone wants to throw a bunch of money and draft picks into the defensive side of the ball, but in reality the offense is probably one more good offseason away from being a strength. I would like to see the team bring in at least one more young WR, TE, RB, OL and QB. And then just patch and piece together the defense as best as you can.

Fixing the defense is going to take more than one season in all likelyhood. So if we focus on that this offseason, then it will probably still not be good enough to carry the team and if one or two injuries occur to skill guys on offense then you are left with a team without an offense or defense. I say get the offense in as best shape as we can this offseason than it should be good enough for a couple of seasons where we can refocus the attention to rebuilding the defense.
topwop1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ You do know that Lyerla dropped out of college and recently got arrested for possession and use of cocaine do you?

Yes he's talented but it's not inconceivable that he'll drop to the later rounds or even be undrafted after these incidents. It's not the first time we've seen a good talent drop to the later rounds due to personal issues. It happened last year with the Bears very own Marquess Wilson.
mikee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

topwop1 wrote:
^^ You do know that Lyerla dropped out of college and recently got arrested for possession and use of cocaine do you?

Yes he's talented but it's not inconceivable that he'll drop to the later rounds or even be undrafted after these incidents. It's not the first time we've seen a good talent drop to the later rounds due to personal issues. It happened last year with the Bears very own Marquess Wilson.

Yes I am aware of it. One difference is Wilson did not have legal/off the field problems that Lyerla has. Lyerla is much closer to Evan Rodriguez. What I mean by it being unlikely is I bet if you look at every mock offseason by every person posting on a message board they have Lyerla going to their team in the 5-7 or UDFA as a way to get extra value out of their mock. But putting any kind of grade on Lyerla is absurd. I would think he will be completely dependant on the interviews in the predraft process and anyone outside of those rooms will have absolutely no idea what to make of him. If he interviews well and has an explanation for what has occured then it wouldn't shock me if a team took him on day 2. If he doesn't, then he doesn't get drafted (nor should he). He only has to have one good interview. I think Lyerla could conceivably end up with a widely varying set of 32 different draft grades and a number of teams that take him completely off their board. And I think the Bears will be hesitant after their experience with Rodriguez.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

topwop1 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

Why do you say that?

I don't think any of them have the size and power to play in a 3-4.

Most 3-4 ends are asked to hold off an OLmen and read the play while influencing 2 gaps. Those guys are not able to do that.
topwop1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikee wrote:
topwop1 wrote:

Yes I am aware of it. One difference is Wilson did not have legal/off the field problems that Lyerla has. Lyerla is much closer to Evan Rodriguez. What I mean by it being unlikely is I bet if you look at every mock offseason by every person posting on a message board they have Lyerla going to their team in the 5-7 or UDFA as a way to get extra value out of their mock. But putting any kind of grade on Lyerla is absurd. I would think he will be completely dependant on the interviews in the predraft process and anyone outside of those rooms will have absolutely no idea what to make of him. If he interviews well and has an explanation for what has occured then it wouldn't shock me if a team took him on day 2. If he doesn't, then he doesn't get drafted (nor should he). He only has to have one good interview. I think Lyerla could conceivably end up with a widely varying set of 32 different draft grades and a number of teams that take him completely off their board. And I think the Bears will be hesitant after their experience with Rodriguez.

Well that's why it's called a "Mock Draft".

Do you really think that I expect Phil Emery is going to take all these players I mentioned even if he has the opportunity?

This is just something along the lines of what I would like to happen.
Nads786

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love Jimmy G pick but I doubt he goes in the fourth, I assume it's more of a second rounder at this point.

I agree with other we don't need to drop 20MM on a center.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: