Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Opening Play
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stillersenat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustPlainNasty wrote:
stillersenat wrote:
Timmons bit on the fake at the line. See the guy standing over the RB? He should have his back turned and charging the running QB.

Yeah, I actually didn't even demonstrate how poorly he attacked this play. We have seen him do the same exact thing on similar plays that have broken for big plays. I believe Kethnaab actually illustrated it for us earlier this year on a play. He overreacts, almost greedily for a lack of a better expression in a way it seems leaning/looking into the gap of the other ILB's responsibility.His weight is shifted and worse yet flat footed, he got cut and taken totally out of the play.

Also, I'm not giving Troy or Ike a pass as they both had support duties, but the primary guy on that play was Timmons for sure.

CaptainParker wrote:

Bubby outplayed Elway in everything....
wwhickok

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustPlainNasty wrote:
wwhickok wrote:
If you're going to blame someone, just based on looking at the images, blame Ike Taylor.

He's the only guy not tangled with someone, clear route to the QB, instead of going after him, he is back peddling, he never even crosses the hash marks until Pryor is 10 yards beyond him, his tackling route was terrible...please, someone explain that to me.

Now, having said all of that, the problem with this play was lack of discipline. These guys no better, heck, it was just a couple of seasons ago that this kind of crap happened against Tim Tebow. I thought we were beyond that, clearly not.

I disagree. Of course its a team blah, blah, blah, but on this play two players had responsibility Timmons & Clark and through absolutely poor technique and failure to meet those responsibilities this play broke open. Taylor's effort or lack there of just didn't keep the play from coming a TD...even if he gave the effort and pursued on the proper angle it still would have been a very big gain...probably caught somewhere around the 35.

Anyway lets move on. I just wanted to point this out.

While you're not wrong, there's a big difference between a TD and a tackle on the 35. A tackle on the 35 gives us a chacne to hold them to a FG or even better, knock them out of FG range. However, given how the game went, I doubt that would've happened. But also, that's not me trying to take away responsibility from Timmons or Clark, or anyone else on the defense for that matter. They bit hard on that fake and I'm SURE the Oakland Raiders were shocked as h3ll by it.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thoughts on Ike as a possible safety?

...you have a forum resume?
stillersenat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustPlainNasty wrote:

Ike may not be quite what he was, but he is still damn good.

His top performances rarely get the hype they deserve. He should be, and is our #1 CB. We need to start developing his replacement sooner rather than later.

CaptainParker wrote:

Bubby outplayed Elway in everything....
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The images do make Taylor's choice of angle look poor, but watching it live gives you a better sense of the "oh [inappropriate/removed]" feeling that was probably going through his head as Pryor bust into the open and he realized just how fast he actually is. I don't know if the images do that justice. Watch how quickly Pryor covers ground compared to everyone else.
wwhickok

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKSteeler wrote:
The images do make Taylor's choice of angle look poor, but watching it live gives you a better sense of the "oh [inappropriate/removed]" feeling that was probably going through his head as Pryor bust into the open and he realized just how fast he actually is. I don't know if the images do that justice. Watch how quickly Pryor covers ground compared to everyone else.

That's an extremely fair point, the play actually took very little time to occur and I'm not talking about development I'm talking about him busting out and scoring. The entire play took almost no time at all. Even if Ike would've taken the correct route to him, let's be honest, would Ike have caught up to him? Ike is an excellent CB, but he isn't that fast, not anymore. This, fact of the matter, was a blown play across the board by the defense, everyone was at fault.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
Bobikus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKSteeler wrote:
I don't see how Casey Hampton, even in his prime, stops that play from happening.

Defense could play differently with Hampton. He stonewalled the inside well enough that the other defenders could pay more attention outside without losing effectiveness against interior runs.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stillersenat wrote:
JustPlainNasty wrote:

Ike may not be quite what he was, but he is still damn good.

His top performances rarely get the hype they deserve. He should be, and is our #1 CB. We need to start developing his replacement sooner rather than later.

Ike at Safety wouldn't be good unless it is an absolute passing down. I don't like the way that he attacks the LOS.

"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky
kethnaab

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustPlainNasty wrote:
stillersenat wrote:
Timmons bit on the fake at the line. See the guy standing over the RB? He should have his back turned and charging the running QB.

Yeah, I actually didn't even demonstrate how poorly he attacked this play. We have seen him do the same exact thing on similar plays that have broken for big plays. I believe Kethnaab actually illustrated it for us earlier this year on a play. He overreacts, almost greedily for a lack of a better expression in a way it seems leaning/looking into the gap of the other ILB's responsibility.His weight is shifted and worse yet flat footed, he got cut and taken totally out of the play.

yep. Timmons is one of the least instinctive, lowest football-IQ guys on the team. Incredible that, after 7 years, a rookie is entrusted with calling the defense instead of Timmons.

as for Ike being a safety, I hate the idea. Not because he can't do what Ryan Clark did, but because it'd be nice to get an interception from someone other than the hairball in the secondary. You don't play a converted 35-year old safety a paycheck commensurate with a shutdown CB's pay, especially when he can't catch a football any better than my wife.
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
JustPlainNasty wrote:
stillersenat wrote:

yep. Timmons is one of the least instinctive, lowest football-IQ guys on the team. Incredible that, after 7 years, a rookie is entrusted with calling the defense instead of Timmons.

as for Ike being a safety, I hate the idea. Not because he can't do what Ryan Clark did, but because it'd be nice to get an interception from someone other than the hairball in the secondary. You don't play a converted 35-year old safety a paycheck commensurate with a shutdown CB's pay, especially when he can't catch a football any better than my wife.

Very good points..

As for forgiving Ike as was mentioned above there was a point midway up field that Ike actually rounded away from the play and let up. Very confusing as to what his intention was, but it looked like bailing on the play to me.

...you have a forum resume?
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMashMouthMike wrote:
Yep Yep. I thought it was Woodley's job too, and it should have been, like Turtle and others have stated. Everyone on the d bit on the inside stuff like they were all fired up and don't have that Big Nose tackle. Bad gap assignments. Is Fangupo ready to go or what is up with him?
it has nothing to do with the nt. I didn't say it was primarily Woodley's fault. I said, he could have made the play, if he was told to go after Pryor on run plays, then, he made the mistake, if not, he played it his try wanted him to, but Woodley could have made the play easy if he had just attacked Pryor.

The Huge main mistake was made by Timmons because Timmons totally left his gap responsibility and left the backside cut back wide open for Pryor.

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: