Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

This game was Romo's fault
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeneralDissaray wrote:
Are we forgetting the Smith's holding penalty stopped the clock?
yes, yes we are. And we're blaming it on Garrett's play calling.... And he isn't even the play caller.

The only play call I had a problem with was that abomination of a hook and lateral
PincheJimmy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: This game was Romo's fault Reply with quote

LeeV1990 wrote:
PincheJimmy wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:
Not really, but if you want to be critical of the guy, here's one he absolutely blew, courtesy of Bryan Broaddus. Romo, on 3rd down of the next to the last drive, throws the ball away. Had he taken the sack (just had to give himself up... no need to get hit) the clock stays running and Detroit has to use a time out or Dallas doesn't punt till the two minute warning.

Quote:
Romo in a careless maneuver, fires the ball out of bounds instead of getting on the ground, taking the sack and making the Lions have to use their 2nd timeout or carry it down to the two minute warning.

There's a real mental error in the 4th qtr of a tight game for y'all to chew on.

I'm curious when Bryan brought this up, was it the next day after going over the game? It never occur to me to take a sack on that play and force the timeout, I don't think anyone on the game day thread mention it ( I could be wrong ) or the announcers for that matter as well. It's easy after the fact to look back and say " we should have done this on this play" it's one of those heat of the moment plays where you get rid of the ball and avoid the sack. I do think on that last run play that it should have been said that you do not do anything to get a flag and let the clock stop, that the play that really hurt them the most IMO

I have to agree with Pinche on this one. Looking back on it would it have been to our advantage to take the sack? Yeah sure, but hindsight is 20-20. I think the play call is what we should be critical of, not Romo throwing the ball away instead of taking the sack. Why not run a low-risk high-reward type play like a RB screen or WR screen instead of sending all but one guy past the first down marker? More than likely a completion that might get a first down, but hey if not at least he goes down in bounds. Just an awful play call considering the situation IMO. I wish our offense would run more screens in general. Twice this season I've seen Demaryius Thomas take a WR screen for a TD (one being for 80 yards) and I like Bryant's ability to break a tackle and take it to the house more that DT. However, as Pinche said, other than the two deep completions at the end of the game, Smith's holding penalty was by far the play that hurts them the most. Without it, the Lions get the ball back with somewhere in the 20-30 seconds range and almost ensures a victory. Oh and idk about everyone else, but I was pretty irked with the commentators at the end of the game talking about the Cowboys going to win the game and all that jazz. Especially considering that the Lions still had 1:00 and considering how CJ had been playing all game. Call me superstitious, but I feel like they put bad juju on us lol.

Oh Lee, I am guilty as can be of putting the juju on us. I called it a victory as well and went to start my BBQ when right before we fgot that dang holding call Sad. Oh, and YES, more screens to Dez and let that boy run wild!!!!
Rtnldave

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

textaz03 wrote:
Hindsight is 20-20! If we would have dropped a knee to run the clock and ten punted, but still allowed them tondrive the length of the field, we all would be asking why did they drop the knee instead if running the ball for the first down?

Quote:
I do not believe dropping the knee was the smart play. Going for the first down was the smart play. Going for the first down gives you a whole mother set of downs to continue ckicking time of the clock. That is more of a killer instinct (that we all want to see) then just dropping a knee.

The issue was the play calling on that series. Plain and simple. If the first run didn't work, try a short easy pass to get a few yards then run again. Or something. We all knew 3 consecutive run wasn't going to work. But, going for the first down was the right call and the smart play.

Well that is the other side of the pancake. You either go all out or bust (more on that in a moment) or you play it uber safe and drain the clock. Either way, you are commited to winning the game.

The only problem I have with going for the 1st down is if you miss, the pass is dropped or deflected or intercepted or any other number of catastrophies, the clock stops OR Det gets the ball right away in which, the clock stops for chnage of possesion. It's a high risk/ high reward proposition so, in the words of The Joker (Jack Nicholson) "You better be sure."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: