Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is Shanahan a HoF candidate?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
broncos67


Joined: 28 Dec 2006
Posts: 21961
Location: Conshohocken
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntiSuperstar wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
I meant the impact of their coaching. What have they left for the game? Parcells brought along 2 future HOF coaches, "saved" 4 failing franchises, and one can argue he is one of the most memorable NFL coaches. Shanahan hasnt done anything IMO, hes been a good coach but definitely not a HOFer.


If you consider Shanahan's time as an assistant, he played a very large role in developing two HOF Quarterbacks in Elway and Steve Young, that's got to count for something. He also set the trend for the type of zone running and cross pattern passing that no one is able to stop going on about 2 decades now. Schematically speaking Shanahan has probably made as big an impact as Parcells you could argue.

That doesn't mean Shanahan is a better coach than Parcells, but considering he's still going, the accolades may be there even in a Parcells comparison by the time he's done.


You make a good point on the development end. I didn't consider that part. I would also say you're correct in terms of his popularizing the ZBS and making it a fixture for a lot of teams' success.

I do think, however, that as time goes on, his legacy gets hurt if his team's W/L doesn't pick up.
_________________


Thanks, Tzimisce
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FosterTheSkins


Joined: 19 Oct 2012
Posts: 491
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
paul-mac wrote:
I would say he's a lock.


I would say you're wrong.

He did win 2 SBs, and obviously that's the biggest factor. However, he has had VERY limited success (at least in terms of playoff wins) outside of the Elway years, and that's going to hurt him. He has a very poor winning percentage in Washington, which is also going to hurt him.

I think eventually he makes it, but he's far from a lock.


I agree. There's a good chance he'll make it in but there's no guarantee. The biggest thing helping his cause is his two Superbowls. One could be called a fluke but two, back to back showehe was for real. Not to mention he has a third as an offensive coordinator.

By the way good game yesterday. You guys have a great team and I have a feeling you guys will go far in the playoffs.
_________________
All the other Ds with the pumped up scheme
Better run better run outrun my QB
All the other Ds with the pumped up scheme
Better run better run faster than RG3.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JerseysFinest27


Joined: 07 Jan 2010
Posts: 8268
Location: New Jersey... Props to inDENguise on the sig
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntiSuperstar wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
I meant the impact of their coaching. What have they left for the game? Parcells brought along 2 future HOF coaches, "saved" 4 failing franchises, and one can argue he is one of the most memorable NFL coaches. Shanahan hasnt done anything IMO, hes been a good coach but definitely not a HOFer.


If you consider Shanahan's time as an assistant, he played a very large role in developing two HOF Quarterbacks in Elway and Steve Young, that's got to count for something. He also set the trend for the type of zone running and cross pattern passing that no one is able to stop going on about 2 decades now. Schematically speaking Shanahan has probably made as big an impact as Parcells you could argue.

That doesn't mean Shanahan is a better coach than Parcells, but considering he's still going, the accolades may be there even in a Parcells comparison by the time he's done.

I guess this adds to Shannys record, which IMO had nothing on it before.

As hard as it is, I just dont see Shanny leaving any type of legacy in the NFL, which IMO is what gets you in the NFL.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mozwanted


Joined: 26 Jun 2006
Posts: 17002
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He wpn nfc east with skins. Last time it was done 1999. Gotta count for something
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
germ-x


Joined: 06 Apr 2009
Posts: 7822
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shanahan has a great football mind and is one heck of a X's and O's coach, but thus far as an HC (which requires the responsibility of helping build a team from a personnel standpoint) he is below average.

I think Shanahan played a pivotal part in Denver winning the 2 Super Bowls, however, i think the talent on the roster played just as much a role. The roster needed Shanahan as much as Shanahan needed them for success. I'm not saying that isn't any different for any other coach, however, Shanahan has proven over the years that he struggles and sometime mightily when the roster doesn't provide him with that type of talent.

I know Denver made some playoff appearances post Elway, but overall the post Elway years were a disappointment. Thus far in Washington he has been what i consider a disappointment as well. As i have said before, if i had a strong veteran presence at key positions Shanahan would be the top of my list as an HC because he is truly able of putting a team over the top. However, if i am in a rebuild type mode he wouldn't be a candidate if i were a GM or owner.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AKRNA


Joined: 28 May 2008
Posts: 5128
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

germ-x wrote:
Shanahan has a great football mind and is one heck of a X's and O's coach, but thus far as an HC (which requires the responsibility of helping build a team from a personnel standpoint) he is below average.

I think Shanahan played a pivotal part in Denver winning the 2 Super Bowls, however, i think the talent on the roster played just as much a role. The roster needed Shanahan as much as Shanahan needed them for success. I'm not saying that isn't any different for any other coach, however, Shanahan has proven over the years that he struggles and sometime mightily when the roster doesn't provide him with that type of talent.

I know Denver made some playoff appearances post Elway, but overall the post Elway years were a disappointment. Thus far in Washington he has been what i consider a disappointment as well. As i have said before, if i had a strong veteran presence at key positions Shanahan would be the top of my list as an HC because he is truly able of putting a team over the top. However, if i am in a rebuild type mode he wouldn't be a candidate if i were a GM or owner.


I'll bet he drools when he looks at our roster right now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bobdevine


Joined: 24 Jan 2008
Posts: 2221
Location: Wisconsin
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not convinced that Shanahan would get in the HoF.

As a coach he does great game prep and use of personnel but he hasn't shown hat he can make a team better than its pieces.

He also hasn't built a long-term organization. Other coaches have big "coaching trees" of assistants that learned his philosophy and then successfully coached at other places. Besides Kubiak, the list is short.

For a lasting change on the NFL, other head coaches have had bigger influences. Shanahan is known for using zone-blocking offense lines and finding mid-draft running backs for the one-cut style but was that a new innovation or even an improvement on what college teams were using? On defense I can't think of any innovations.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group