Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Up and Down Defense

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Up and Down Defense Reply with quote

Just some stats, let it marinate a bit before commenting.

Takeaways

2012: 16 (avg 1 per game), with a TO differential of -13. Good for 14th out of 16 NFC teams and bottom 5 in the NFL as a whole.

2013: 19 (avg 2.375 per game) through only 8 games, with a TO differential of +9. First in the NFC, and second in the NFL.

Commentary: We have absolutely seen a huge uptick in TO this year. Also, our offense has done a significantly better job of holding on to the ball.

Sacks

2012: 36 (avg 2.25 per game). 14th in the NFC, 20th in the NFL.

2013: 16 (avg 2 per game) through only 8 games. 14th in the NFC, 20th in the NFL.

Commentary: we are actually doing the same in relation to the NFL, and slightly worse pace than last year. Which is interesting given that at no point this year were all of our starters on the DL. Rod clearly has had an impact, but the rash of injuries will likely leave us worse this year.

Yards Given Up

2012: 5687 (avg 355.4 per game) for 19th in the NFL. Passing wise they were 19th. Rush wise they were 22nd.

2013: 3380 (avg 422.5 per game) through only 8 games, for dead last in the NFL. Passing wise we are dead last. Rush wise we are 17th.

Commentary: Our pass defense is historically bad this year giving up, already, 400 yard passers 4 times already this season. Our rush game, statistically, is better but I would attribute that more to teams passing on us rather than running. However, as a qualifier, McCoy didn't do jack against us. We owned his lunch.

New Players:
Durant, LB - has been average if not unspectacular.
Wilcox, S - Rookie who has played like a rookie. Good moments and bad.
Selvie, DL - A piece of coal turned into a diamond. What a find.
Holloman, He who was promised - Pretty much the greatest player ever.

Some Player Observations:

Rat - Screw you.
Lee - Such a playmaker. Heart and soul of the defense.
Ware - Often injured. Shame.
Hatcher - Playing some inspired football.
Carter - Rough season for him.
Carr - Up and down.
Mo - Really bad sophomore year.
Scan - Decent
Church - Good box S.

Draft:
1 Starter (Wilcox) - Suprising, but woohoo!
2 Back-ups (Holloman, Webb) - Holloman is likely part of the future, Webb needs to do much better.

UDFA:
1 Back-up (Heath, Rayford, Lawrence, Hamilton) - Hopefully a few contributors here. Really early on most.

I think most here expected some transition time for the defense, so the fact they are excelling at causing turnovers is a pleasant surprise. The fact that they are awful defending the pass is very discouraging. I was never a fan of the Kiffin hire, and I hate the bend but don't break mentality. However, I can think of very few people who I would rather install this type of defense other than Kiffin. We will likely continue with the 43 going forward, much to my displeasure, but I just hope we are able to retain Rod since I think he is the key to the future.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
hitstreak07

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to be short and sweet.......I love that we finally switched to a 4-3, however I'm not really sure how I feel about the actual scheme......I've never believed in allowing receivers to run free all over the middle of the field, wide open, raking in huge chunks of yardage, and that being the "bend" part of your "bend don't break" defense.....I also don't understand the lack of adjustments made once an opposing offense tips its cap to what its doing......Regardless of what anyone says about Calvin, there's no way he should've had a day like that......and we can talk about how bad Carr was, and I agree he wasn't very good, but what CB has been good 1 on 1 with CJ?? Posters on here talk about the double teams he received, but with the exception of a handful of his catches, he seemed as though he was wide open in the middle of the field all day long.....So much for short and sweet, haha......and I know I'm going to get laughed off the forum for this, but I'm not sure I wouldn't have allowed Mo cover CJ some with press coverage, and see if he could be physical with him closer to the line of scrimmage......I think Kiffen needs the opportunity to get some players of his choosing in here, to be fair.....But 630 yds of offense allowed is unacceptable
Matts4313

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure I am in the minority here, but I dont care nearly as much about the yardage when you factor in the turnovers. Sure, the pass defense has been disappointing. And honestly, its somewhat inexplicable to me. I cant fathom why we suck so back in pass defense.

But the defense gets a little bit of a free pass from me when you factor in that they are one of the top defenses in the NFL in creating turnovers.

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
I am sure I am in the minority here, but I dont care nearly as much about the yardage when you factor in the turnovers. Sure, the pass defense has been disappointing. And honestly, its somewhat inexplicable to me. I cant fathom why we suck so back in pass defense.

But the defense gets a little bit of a free pass from me when you factor in that they are one of the top defenses in the NFL in creating turnovers.

Oh, in a way I agree. They can haz all the yards...if they don't score.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's strictly a talent issue.

We shut down mediocre and worse QBs. Really good ones slice us up. Games where we had some pressure (giants, Detroit) we generated turnovers off of it. Games where we didn't (SD, Denver) less so.

Seems to tell the story.
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:

I don't mind giving up some yardage, but it's getting ridiculous. Monte did you ever think about doubling CJ? The things that killed us were getting 4 turnovers and only 10 points, and that Smith penalty cost us the game.

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:

Our pass defense stinks because our pass rush stinks and because we never blitz. QBs aren't under a lot of pressure in our defense, so the secondary gets carved up. I repeat this issue every year yet no one pays attention.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: