Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

locker NFLs most improved player
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
deeluxx3


Hot Shot Crew
Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 13125
Location: Chicago/Mizzou
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

titans0021 wrote:
I'm not saying Griffin is more important than Locker. Locker's easily the most important player on this team, but that doesn't mean he's the best. Griffin has gone from Lamont Thompson-esque performance to one of the best safeties in football thus far this season.


I know that PFF ranks Griffin highly and while he certainly has improved and has been playing GOOD, SOLID football, I would not call him one of the best safeties in the league this year.

Is he playing to the level of guys like Eric Berry and Earl Thomas? Nahh

He's out there doing his job. He isn't giving up the big play and he has done better in run support. That said, he isn't the playmaker that he once was and I don't think he is playing at the level of the best safeties in the NFL.
_________________

RIP Crakburn & BoYz2tHeBoWl
RIP Steve "Air" McNair...the greatest Titan of all-time
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KingTitan


Joined: 10 Mar 2006
Posts: 10582
Location: Nashville,TN
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deeluxx3 wrote:

He's out there doing his job. He isn't giving up the big play and he has done better in run support. That said, he isn't the playmaker that he once was and I don't think he is playing at the level of the best safeties in the NFL.



This is how I feel. Griffin isn't a handicap at this point. He is an solid/quailty starter at this point to me. Maybe he hasn't had the chances but I don't see him as a ballhawk/playmaker.

He is a good safety that is tackling better and not blowing assignments.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Titans fan 617


Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 10075
Location: BeanTown
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

titans0021 wrote:
Titans fan 617 wrote:
titans0021 wrote:
Honestly, I'm not even sure Locker is our most improved player. Don't get me wrong, Jake looks like a totally different guy than he was after the injury last year. Still missing the occasional guy, but his decision-making has been strong and his accuracy has really taken a step in the right direction.

But from last year to this year, I'll say Michael Griffin has improved more than anybody else in the league. It's incredible.


I disagree in the sense that Locker has won us games. Griffin helped but not to the degree Locker has. If Griffin doesnt play vs St Louis we'll still probably win we have already scene how it looks when Locker doesnt play.
I'm not saying Griffin is more important than Locker. Locker's easily the most important player on this team, but that doesn't mean he's the best. Griffin has gone from Lamont Thompson-esque performance to one of the best safeties in football thus far this season.


I dont think Lockers the best but i say Lockers most improved because all of last year he won 4 games this year he already has 3 with a chance to win more. His TDs will be more baring an injury. His accuracy is better his decision making is better and hes doing all this without much of a running game. When we aquired Pollard all the media hype was now it frees up Griffin to be a playmaker and i havnt seen that yet. Granted he hasnt given up the big play like where accustomed to seeing but hes just been good IMO nothing to special. Pollard himself has changed the tone of the defense he himself has made more big plays granted we lost those games but Pollard has changed our defense. I just feel Lockers improvement on offense is bigger to the Titans than Griffins
_________________

Sig by daboyle250

TITANIA FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS
*2011

Shaun Phillips: 8 Tackles 5 Assist 1 Sack

Ropati Pitoitua: 9 Tackles 4 Assist 1 Sack
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TitanSlim


Joined: 19 Aug 2010
Posts: 2854
Location: NC
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think Locker's improvement is being understated (possibly because of the injury) by the media. For as much flack as he got this offseason, he deserves much praise for his improved play. He has 9 total TDs to only 1 TO, he's completing about 62% of his passes and he has a winning record this year as a starter.

Just looking stats wise (I know stats don't tell the whole story), he's right up there with all the other young QBs who gets praised. I hope we get on a winning streak so Jake gets the recognition he deserves.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
titans0021


Moderator
Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 26793
Location: Props to Smack on the sig
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingTitan wrote:
deeluxx3 wrote:

He's out there doing his job. He isn't giving up the big play and he has done better in run support. That said, he isn't the playmaker that he once was and I don't think he is playing at the level of the best safeties in the NFL.



This is how I feel. Griffin isn't a handicap at this point. He is an solid/quailty starter at this point to me. Maybe he hasn't had the chances but I don't see him as a ballhawk/playmaker.

He is a good safety that is tackling better and not blowing assignments.
The thing is, there are probably three elite safeties in football right now. Eric Berry, Earl Thomas and probably still Polamalu. Outside of those three, I don't really see any safeties that stick out as playing better football than Griffin right now. He's rarely being thrown at and he's making tackles in space, often times one-on-one when the receiver or running back has a chance to break a huge one if he doesn't make the play.

But no, he's certainly not a true playmaker. But safety play in the league is pretty poor overall, having a guy that you can rely to not give up the big play and that can come up and make tackles in space is a huge luxury that, to me, is one of the biggest differences on this defense. With last year's Michael Griffin, our big plays allowed would be ridiculous right now. He's been exactly what you want as the last line of defense, particularly as we've played Pollard in the box so often.
_________________

2014 Adopt-a-Titans
1. Justin Hunter, WR - 12 receptions, 237 yards, 1 touchdown
2. Brian Schwenke, C.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
titans0021


Moderator
Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 26793
Location: Props to Smack on the sig
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanSlim wrote:
I still think Locker's improvement is being understated (possibly because of the injury) by the media. For as much flack as he got this offseason, he deserves much praise for his improved play. He has 9 total TDs to only 1 TO, he's completing about 62% of his passes and he has a winning record this year as a starter.

Just looking stats wise (I know stats don't tell the whole story), he's right up there with all the other young QBs who gets praised. I hope we get on a winning streak so Jake gets the recognition he deserves.
He should hopefully have a chance to pad stats these next two weeks. God I just don't want a let down game against St. Louis or Jacksonville. Too many years of these disappointments have made me worried about teams that we are clearly better than.
_________________

2014 Adopt-a-Titans
1. Justin Hunter, WR - 12 receptions, 237 yards, 1 touchdown
2. Brian Schwenke, C.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
renndawg37


Joined: 01 Feb 2010
Posts: 1632
Location: Toronto, ON
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titans0021 wrote:
KingTitan wrote:
deeluxx3 wrote:

He's out there doing his job. He isn't giving up the big play and he has done better in run support. That said, he isn't the playmaker that he once was and I don't think he is playing at the level of the best safeties in the NFL.



This is how I feel. Griffin isn't a handicap at this point. He is an solid/quailty starter at this point to me. Maybe he hasn't had the chances but I don't see him as a ballhawk/playmaker.

He is a good safety that is tackling better and not blowing assignments.
The thing is, there are probably three elite safeties in football right now. Eric Berry, Earl Thomas and probably still Polamalu. Outside of those three, I don't really see any safeties that stick out as playing better football than Griffin right now. He's rarely being thrown at and he's making tackles in space, often times one-on-one when the receiver or running back has a chance to break a huge one if he doesn't make the play.

But no, he's certainly not a true playmaker. But safety play in the league is pretty poor overall, having a guy that you can rely to not give up the big play and that can come up and make tackles in space is a huge luxury that, to me, is one of the biggest differences on this defense. With last year's Michael Griffin, our big plays allowed would be ridiculous right now. He's been exactly what you want as the last line of defense, particularly as we've played Pollard in the box so often.


Eric Weddle is better than any of them.
_________________
2013/14 ADOPT-A-TITAN

Zach Brown
George Wilson
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
titans0021


Moderator
Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 26793
Location: Props to Smack on the sig
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Eric Weddle is better than any of them.

Strongly disagree with that. We've played all four this year, Weddle was easily the least impressive of them. Not that he was bad, but I don't think he's been any better than Griffin when I've watched him this season. Solid yet unspectacular.
_________________

2014 Adopt-a-Titans
1. Justin Hunter, WR - 12 receptions, 237 yards, 1 touchdown
2. Brian Schwenke, C.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
wilmtalk


Joined: 16 Aug 2009
Posts: 182
Location: nor cal
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To many people in the NFL were on Lockers case last year because they were not considering the mitigating circumstances last season. He actually started off well until he was injured. They also never considered he losses in the offensive line. If it were another QB media darling they wouldn't have ragged on him so much. Of course he never really had a complete season for them to gage him on. Most media people are really not that smart. Circumstances often dictate whether a QB will succeed or fail.

What is not considered is that a QB like Locker needs to have the freedom to use all their tools such as running the ball when the opportunity presents itself. Lockers injury would make him cautious and take him out of sync and rhythm For example this year Kaempernick for the Niner's. The first few games the staff didn't want him to run because they had no trust in their back ups. He played out of sync and his passing suffered. Now they are letting him run and he is back in sync. I think the same applies to Locker. The " Hurt Locker" might have been a good movie, but it made for bad his QB play.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group