Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is Musgrave a Must-go?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vikesnewcoach11

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/229191461.html

Oh boy....I still dont believe him. I coach 7-8 grade football right now and I run the offense. My play sheet consists of 40 different run plays and 4 pass plays (simply because our QB isnt very good and you dont throw much at that level). Is it bad that I have more run plays on my play sheet than Bill Musgrave does and I'm coaching 7th/8th graders?

Maybe thats why he throws on a 2nd and 2 and 3rd and 2. I guess he cant find a good run play for AP Laughing

God he's just horrid!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are only a handful of run plays most NFL teams run. They are just run out of different looks and formations.

If you have 40 unique run plays I would be insanely impressed.
Klomp

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
There are only a handful of run plays most NFL teams run. They are just run out of different looks and formations.

I'd be more impressed with the kids. That seems like a large playbook at that level. Then again, what do I know, I never played football.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As sad as it is, 80% on the running game can be broken up into five plays.

Inside Zone (tight zone)
Outside Zone (Stretch)
Power
Counter
Draw
swiss_vike

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have the 5th fewest runs of RB's in the league with 117. As a comparison, Buffalo is at the top with 198 carries by RBs. That's 170% more.

That's just bad.

And it's not all because of game situations, as I have shown in multiple game threads. We abandon the run even when the game is still easily within reach. Now, if we would have a stellar passing attack, I wouldn't care, but our passing is even worse than our running.

And how about those screen passes to Adrian? Every single time we do it something good happens, but we rarely if ever do it. Adrian is best at breaking tackles in the league...so the best is to put him in space.

Also, we are dead last in TOP in the league. That's not a signature for a run-first team.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swiss_vike wrote:
We have the 5th fewest runs of RB's in the league with 117. As a comparison, Buffalo is at the top with 198 carries by RBs. That's 170% more.

That's just bad.

And it's not all because of game situations, as I have shown in multiple game threads. We abandon the run even when the game is still easily within reach. Now, if we would have a stellar passing attack, I wouldn't care, but our passing is even worse than our running.

And how about those screen passes to Adrian? Every single time we do it something good happens, but we rarely if ever do it. Adrian is best at breaking tackles in the league...so the best is to put him in space.

Also, we are dead last in TOP in the league. That's not a signature for a run-first team.

Does this factor in the fact taht the Vikings had an early bye week and a lot of teams havent yet?
vikesnewcoach11

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:

Well yeah we run our offense out of the Wing-T because that's what the varsity runs and the coach wants us to drill it into the heads of the little guys. Out of a Wing-T offense you can run from just about everywhere and have all kinds of wrinkles. At this level it is a very difficult offense to stop, especially when we have stud RBs. This offense essentially has 3 RBs. The tail, wing and full.

If I was coaching at a higher level I would never run it though. It's definitely not my top choice but it definitely works well at this level

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember running the wing-t when I was younger. Good times.
GermanVike

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:

We have a team in our league that runs a Wing-t.... I hate playing against them, because they NEVER pass. And as a FS I like to intercept a ball from time to time.
vikesnewcoach11

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GermanVike wrote:
rpmwr19 wrote:

We have a team in our league that runs a Wing-t.... I hate playing against them, because they NEVER pass. And as a FS I like to intercept a ball from time to time.

Yeah I only have 4 pass plays. However it's a very tough offense to defend at that age

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
‏@PFF_Khaled
117 wide receivers have seen more offensive snaps than Cordarrelle Patterson including UDFAs Darius Johnson & Myles White

Certainly our TOS plays a part but it's still inexcusable to me.

Todd Gurley to Minnesota!
swiss_vike

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lil Uno wrote:
Quote:
‏@PFF_Khaled
117 wide receivers have seen more offensive snaps than Cordarrelle Patterson including UDFAs Darius Johnson & Myles White

Certainly our TOS plays a part but it's still inexcusable to me.

That's real bad. It's 3.6 per team, meaning he's getting less snaps than most #3 recievers and quite a few #4 recievers.

He has 20 targets (3 per game), 13 receptions (2 per game) with a 10.2 average.

Our other recievers:
Wright: 16 / 8 / 10.6 (many more snaps, but less targets)
Simpson: 51 / 27 / 15.6
Jennings: 46 / 25 / 13.4
Webb: 8 / 3 / 8.0

So Patterson is very likely to get the ball when he's on the field, defenses know this. Also, he gets the ball behind the LOS on most catches. Given these 2 factors, he's a very respectable 10.2 per catch. This guy is just a flat out play maker. It's a shame that no coach on this team recognizes this.
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldnt be that surprising...

Once Patterson is on the field, there is a high probability he gets the ball, defense adjusts pre-snap and reduce his effectiveness, which in turn reduce his snaps even more.

You gotta play him snaps, but the coach staff think otherwise.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: