Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

VR's Mock - October 2013
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joru1000 wrote:
You really think Freeman is going to work out, huh...

I never stated that. I laid out a scenario where Freeman plays solid enough for the vikes to win four more games. I think spielman thinks that freeman has potential to work out. I don't believe that there are many qbs in this years draft that have Freeman's upside if he can pull it together and I wouldn't be surprised if Spielman feels the same way

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:

Again, I'm not impressed with this class. It's better than last years at the top but there seems to be little quality depth in the prototype

The stuff I've been hearing on the NFL Network is that it's a very deep QB class with about 8 guys potentially warranting a 1st or 2nd round grade, but no slam-dunk franchise guy at the top like we had with Luck and RGIII a year ago.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000258925/article/2014-nfl-draft-could-see-record-number-of-firstround-qbs

It's really hard to tell at this point though.

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

milanb wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

Again, I'm not impressed with this class. It's better than last years at the top but there seems to be little quality depth in the prototype

The stuff I've been hearing on the NFL Network is that it's a very deep QB class with about 8 guys potentially warranting a 1st or 2nd round grade, but no slam-dunk franchise guy at the top like we had with Luck and RGIII a year ago.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000258925/article/2014-nfl-draft-could-see-record-number-of-firstround-qbs

Every class is labeled as really deep by the experts in October but once prospects get scrutinized and the juniors return to school, suddenly that depth disappears. I remember reading articles on how deep the 2013 qb class was going to be.

Remember when Tyler Wilson, Landry jones, Tyler bray and Barkley were first round picks.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

milanb wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

The same was said last year when Ryan Nassib and Zac Dysert emerged. All of a sudden it was Barkley, Geno, Tyler Wilson, Nassib, Dysert, and EJ could all be first round picks. The evaluation process will start and the crowd will thin itself just like last year. I'm with VR in that there are very few franchise quality signal callers this year.

Todd Gurley to Minnesota!
milanb

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^

I would agree that this is the case with the Armchair GM draft sites and e.g. ESPN.

The NFL Network is pretty reliable, though.

But I will concede that it is very early in the process.

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

milanb wrote:
^^

I would agree that this is the case with the Armchair GM draft sites and e.g. ESPN.

The NFL Network is pretty reliable, though.

But I will concede that it is very early in the process.

Agreed, it is early in the process. Which is why it is always interesting to get each members interpretation of what they think will happen in March and April.

Mocks really are about scenarios more than anything, and the moves that happen as a result of a given scenario.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
Not sure Garopollo will be available that late in the draft. I haven't bought into the hype of him being a first round pick yet, but the kid definitely has some tools to work with.

I could see him being a 2nd round pick in the same vain as a Kaepernick. Either way, I think he would be a good add.

You might be correct here, its hard to judge Garoppolo at this point. He could certainly surprise and be a high riser come draft. Of the developmental QBs available, he does intrigue me.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lil Uno wrote:
Sound reasoning for Pat Angerer. I like it. Also love Major Wright.

Ifo is the only DB I'd take in the first round. Tremendous talent and all around player. Not a fan of Trent Murphy, but DE is a need. DaQuan Jones won't last that long. He is starting to get first round love. There are a few personnel decisions I don't see happening, but overall I love where the defense is in this situation.

I contemplated the veteran MLB route vs rookie MLB route. I like what Angerer brings and his experience and ties to the region could make it a plausible signing. One in which I would value highly as it would improve the MLB position and the WLB position. My concern with Angerer is he doesnt stand out as an athlete and really isnt a great coverage player. He isnt bad but he isnt the type that is going to make a lot of splash plays.

Wright would be an excellent pickup, and from the sounds of it, he is struggling this season. Im not sure how different the Bears defense is now versus how it was under Lovie Smith, but he was quite good under Smith.

I was expecting criticism for taking a slot CB in round 1 but im glad that you have a positive response to this selection. I like Ekpre-Olomu a lot and he intrigues me as a potential long-term starter. I could see Rhodes and Ekpre-Olomu making a good future duo as well, with Cook possibly as the the third CB.

The primary emphasis of this mock was really improving secondary play. I think adding a new SS that knows the defense and another stud CB prospect would really go a long for improving the weakest link on the team right now.

As for Jones, he could definitely get selected higher and I wouldnt be surprised to see him climb to Sylvester Williams territory, Williams reminds me of Jones as well.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: VR's Mock - October 2013 Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
COACHING CHANGES

Head Coach – Lovie Smith
Defensive Coordinator – Perry Fewell
Offensive Coordinator – Randy Fichtner
Special Teams Coordinator – No clue

Nice choices, VR. Quite realistic and actually a likely scenario, IMO.

vikingsrule wrote:

FREE AGENTS ACQUIRED

LB Pat Angerer – UFA: Indianapolis – 4 years; $18,000,000
S Major Wright - UFA: Chicago - 2 years; $7,000,000
DT Vance Walker - UFA: Oakland - 2 years; $3,500,000
CB D.J. Moore - UFA: Carolina - 1 year; $900,000

Again, a pretty realistic scenario. I'm not a huge fan of signing Angerer because he's not a very good coverage LB, but he would easily be an upgrade to our corps. The other guys are solid veteran depth. No real splashy signings here, but some solid ones.

vikingsrule wrote:

NFL DRAFT

Teddy Bridgewater, Marcus Mariota, Jadeveon Clowney, Jake Matthews, Mike Evans and Anthony Barr are the first six players selected. Brett Hundley returns to school in hopes of being the top Quarterback in 2015.

After Mariota, there is only one QB that is viewed as solid early to mid first round pick and that is Zach Mettenberger. Tajh Boyd plummets to round two like Geno Smith last year. After Boyd, teams will have its choice of several different "project" QBs.

TRADES:

The Vikings trade a first round pick (7) for a first round pick (13) and a second round pick.

The Vikings trade a second round pick and a third round pick (via Seattle) for a first round pick (27).

The Vikings trade a second round pick (via trade down) for a second round pick and fourth round pick.

1 (13) – Ifo Ekpre-Olomu – CB – Oregon – via trade
1 (27) – Trent Murphy – DE – Stanford – via trade
2 – Tre’ Jackson – OG – Florida State – via trade
3 – DaQuan Jones – DT – Penn State
4 – Rashad Greene – WR – Florida State
4 – Boseko Lokombo – OLB – Oregon – via trade
5 – Jimmy Garoppolo – QB – Eastern Illinois
6 – Crockett Gillmore – TE – Colorado State
7 – Antonio Andrews – RB – Western Kentucky

jshowers has done a great job evaluating Jones and I think he would be a really good fit for what Perry Fewell prefers at NT. I see similarities between Jones and Linval Joseph, as being more of a penetrating NT, instead of a gap control or space eating NT.

I could totally see that scenario playing out at the top of the draft. Good call.

However, I really cannot stand the thought of taking Ifo in the top 10. Not a big fan of him at all. I see him as a bit limited athletically AND size-wise. He gets by in college off of good technique and recognition, but in the pros I think he will struggle to keep from getting burned.

We may not have to trade back into the first for Murphy. He will get slept on. I do love him as a prospect, though.

Tre' Jackson is a solid, safe pick. You know what you're getting - a big, physical guard in the run game who won't be a liability but will get beat by quick-twitch interior rushers now and again.

Nice Jones pick, and thanks for the shout out! He is rising up draft boards, unfortunately, and will likely be gone before we address the DT position unless we go there in round 2.

Rashad Greene looks like a nice, smooth possession receiver. Not really sure of his draft grade, though, as FSU spreads the ball around so much. Don't have a solid evaluation of him yet.

Boseko Lokombo is a nice pick there. He's not strong vs. the run but is an athletic freak that would be nice to rotate in as a coverage LB in passing situations. Would also star on special teams.

JG is gonna be gone before then. His hype train is starting to build and I think he will end up making the Sr. Bowl and being drafted in the first 3 rounds.

No idea on Gilmore.

Love the Antonio Andrews pick, but he will probably be gone. One of the better and more underrated RBs in the nation.

Overall, outside of the Ifo pick, I liked this mock and felt it was very realistic. Nice job VR. Would happily take this in real life even with the Ifo pick.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: