Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Da Bears

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Badger75

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Da Bears Reply with quote

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB20001424052702304441404579121952540266032

Rich Cohen, WSJ

Hate, Jealousy and 'Da Bears'

Fascinating article on the 1985 Bears. Much analyzed and much misunderstood.

A style of football that was a throwback to another era.

Buddy Ryan was a young assistant with the Weeb Ewbank NY Jets of SB III. Ewbank was himself a one time Paul Brown assistant. Ryan moved on to the Minnesota Vikings of Jim Finks and Bud Grant. He brought a defensive genius for organized chaos to the Bears.

Mike Ditka was the ROY in 1960. He helped the 1963 Bears win the championship over Green Bay, the Colts and the NYG. He played for Tom Landry after George Halas. Hiring Ditka was Halas' s last major decision.

Jim Finks played QB for the Steelers of the 1950s. He coached at Notre Dame while Paul Hornung was winning the Heisman. He rebuilt a failing CFL team before moving to the Vikings. He brought in Bud Grant. In Chicago he brought in Ryan.

No NFL team ever had so much front office brain power or so much back door intrigue. The story of Finks attempt to succeed Rozelle in 1990 is worth of an Oliver Stone movie.... Cool
tbrown2699

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm failing to see how this belongs in the news thread...
Badger75

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good grief.

The mid 1980s Bears of Finks/Ryan/Ditka changed the game. The Air Coryell to Bill Walsh offenses were countered by the Bears big hitting defenses.

The intrigues over Pete Rozelle' s successor is lost among the personalities.
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badger75 wrote:
Good grief.

The mid 1980s Bears of Finks/Ryan/Ditka changed the game. The Air Coryell to Bill Walsh offenses were countered by the Bears big hitting defenses.

What???

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
7DnBrnc53

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
Badger75 wrote:
Good grief.

What???

I never heard about Finks trying to be commissioner. Interesting.
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7DnBrnc53 wrote:
JDLefebvre wrote:
Badger75 wrote:
Good grief.

What???

I never heard about Finks trying to be commissioner. Interesting.

ok... I didn't see that little part at the end...

I loved Payton and the 85 Bears but many teams, have storied staffs and coaching trees

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
stillersenat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badger75 wrote:
Good grief.

I think you got that reversed.

Any escape might help to smooth the unattractive truth but the suburbs have no charms to soothe the restless dreams of youth
Badger75

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two countervailing football trends of the 1980s:

The Don Coryell-Bill Walsh offensive trend and the Ryan-Ditka style defense. Ryan's Son's Cool epitomize the second trend as do three of his former players, Panthers Coach Rivera, Vikings Coach Frazier and Rams Coach Fisher. Note also Coach Singletary.

The mid 1980s Bears were the product of three football men whom all dated to the 1950s or early 60s. Finks and Ditka had played in the league on offense. Ryan was a defensive coach from the Namath SB Jets. Finks had brought Ryan to the Vikings and later the Bears. All three were old school coaches.

Jim Finks is one of the great front office men in league history. Rozelle had requested that Finks leave the Vikings to update the Bears, which by mid 1970s was operating on old methods. The great George Halas was getting old and the Chicago market was drifting. Finks drafted Walter Payton and brought in Ryan. Ryan built the Bears early defense that won WCs twice. Ditka arrived in 1982. The pace quickened. The drafts became a focus of intrigue between three football philosophies.

Finks left for NO in 1984. The first Saints playoff game was in 1988. With Pete Rozelle set to retire in 1990, the cast of characters that commenced the intrigues included the Bears ownership, backing Finks, Al Davis (murky motives), new owner Jerry Jones, owner Lamar Hunt and various past GM s. Most thought Finks was a shoo-in. Then the fun started....leading to Paul Tagliabue...really deserves the full Stone treatment... Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: