Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jshow's Off-Season Mock - Laying a New Foundation for 2014
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swaps

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just spent big money on a big WR free agent.
We just drafted a WR in the first round last year.
We have 2 decent 3rd receivers. Not a Welker, but Simpson and Wright are serviceable.

We don't need a top 4 draft pick to be a WR. We have too many HUGE problems.

DT Nix should be on your big board.
We need a Phat Pat body next to the next generation of K-Will that we have in Floyd.

OR

Bring in Mosely and replace the extreme liability that is Erin Henderson.
Overrated day 1 as a UDFA. Sucks in pass coverage. I've been crying for his head for 2 years. He needs to be off this team.

What about Ifo Ekpre-Olomu the CB from Oregon?
Bradley Roby the CB from Ohio?
We NEED a better DB corp.

I like the Joyner pick, but he'll be a better safety than a CB. I'd love to see him ball hawking next to Smith's head hunting. However, if FSU keeps playing up to their current potential, Joyner will be gone in the 2nd round.
(Go noles, btw)

"the more I like you, the more I want to smash your face into the ground." -- Jared Allen
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jshowers

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swaps wrote:
We just spent big money on a big WR free agent.
We just drafted a WR in the first round last year.
We have 2 decent 3rd receivers. Not a Welker, but Simpson and Wright are serviceable.

We don't need a top 4 draft pick to be a WR. We have too many HUGE problems.

DT Nix should be on your big board.
We need a Phat Pat body next to the next generation of K-Will that we have in Floyd.

OR

Bring in Mosely and replace the extreme liability that is Erin Henderson.
Overrated day 1 as a UDFA. Sucks in pass coverage. I've been crying for his head for 2 years. He needs to be off this team.

What about Ifo Ekpre-Olomu the CB from Oregon?
Bradley Roby the CB from Ohio?
We NEED a better DB corp.

I like the Joyner pick, but he'll be a better safety than a CB. I'd love to see him ball hawking next to Smith's head hunting. However, if FSU keeps playing up to their current potential, Joyner will be gone in the 2nd round.
(Go noles, btw)

We don't have anyone that is remotely close to the weapon Mike Evans is, and like I said, if we want to help our big armed but erratic QBs out, they need a big play WR that can bail them out.

Nix has struggled and fallen down the board this year. Also, John Chavis prefers more athletic DTs that can move and shoot gaps. DaQuan Jones is perfect for him.

Mosley is a great player but athletic LBs are more in abundance in the later rounds than #1 WRs.

Ekpre-Olumo is overrated and not worth the #7 pick, same for Roby. We have enough young talent at CB to hold over this year. Also, did you not notice the free agency signing of Walter Thurmond?
Bodysuit Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

British wrote:
You think the Vikings get 5 wins this season?

Right now I don't see them picking any lower than 4th.

I agree. Four more wins would be a colossal achievement.

I like Roman as HC, and Cameron wouldn't be bad either. Chavis is a college guy and I don't think he'll leave one of the best gigs in college football for the NFL, especially since he probably makes more money than he would in Minnesota.

Wide Receiver in the first, especially at #7 would be a waste I think. We need a defensive playmaker regardless of position. Anthoney Barr would be a real nice addition. But I'm still hoping we draft a franchise QB in the first. If Freeman is around they can compete for the job.
Boda

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this draft. I'm intrigued by Mettenberger Overall I'd rate this a solid B+ I'd swap some things around and take some different players but I think that has more to do with personal preference. If this mock offseason happened though I'd be happy. The only thing I don't personally like about it is not adding Christian Jones as I feel he's going to be the real deal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted in the draft database that I am down on Christian Jones. If you want to discuss him I would love to do it there.
swiss_vike

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jshowers wrote:
swiss_vike wrote:
Like Mettenberger in the 2nd, but outside of that, i think this is pretty bad.

Care to elaborate?

Sorry, got here late.

First: I don't like the coaches. I could live with Roman as a HC, but would prefer at least 5 other candidates. I don't like the transition they did when Kaep took over; the offense was much more imposing before that.

I don't like the coordinators would be terrible on what we want to do.

Drafting a WR in round 1 is just terrible. We have much bigger needs in 5 different positions. We filled up WR in the first round last year and added Jennings...sure, we won't sure how Patterson will turn out, but it's still terrible to repeat a 1st round WR selection.

Free agency looks very good, but is kind of unrealistic (other have pointed it out already).

I'd add at least another O-line man in the first 4 rounds.
jshowers

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People are just looking at the WR selection in round 1 and writing it off as dumb. Think about about it for a minute though.

We have no dangerous down-field threats at all. It's sad. Patterson is very creative in space but he was never, even in college, good at taking the top off defenses or winning 50/50 balls. Jennings is a savvy YAC guy but not a true #1 and hasn't really made any impact on our offense at all. Sometimes I forget he is out there. Simpson is a worse Bernard Berrian - he can run fast in a straight line but is so skinny and weak that any physical CB neutralizes him with ease.

Also, look at our QBs. Freeman has a big arm and likes to throw vertically. He's not an accurate timing passer on short/intermediate routes. If we added Mettenberger like in this mock, he is in the same mold.

Evans would bring a completely unique and sorely needed talent to our offense and would improve our quarterback play as well. If we want to develop a big-armed QB of the future and field a competent offense we need a true deep threat that can make contested catches and completely change opposing defensive game plans because of the attention he requires.

Don't just look at the position, see "wide receiver", and disregard the pick.
Kellerman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Mike Evans as our #1 pick? I've seen you in the draft forum thread on him as well, you're quite a fan aren't you?

I've only known about Evans since this season, watched 2 A&M games (Alabama and Ole Miss). He definitely stands out amongst the crowd, but is he really a top-5 type pick? I don't see him as being on the level of Calvin, A.J. or Larry.

Even if he was, the cup is overflowing at wide reciever. We still have significant investments, pending result. Compared to the rest of the roster, WR seems a luxury investment. Wouldn't it be a better use of limited assets to target a player with more positional value, or trade down?

#97 Everson Griffin: 27 tackles : 5.5 sacks : 1 FF ; 16 games played
British

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Evans a lot but I'm a bit wary about WR picks in the top 4 of the 1st. I've still got hopes Patterson can develop. It took Jennings a year to get going in Green Bay and Patterson was much less pro-ready than him.

One has to go value but in general terms I think the Vikes need to shore up the D as a priority. Keeping games tight is the best chance of success right now.
milanb

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using a Top 10 pick on a WR is a little too Matt Millen for my taste.

Shocked

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek
jshowers

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

milanb wrote:

Shocked

Have you seen him play? RS sophomore and absolutely dominant. 6'5'' and 225 pounds. Plucks the ball away from defenders like Calvin does.

Also, zero off the field problems or character concerns.
Azhais

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swiss_vike wrote:

I don't think there's any universe where Mettenberger falls to the 2nd, however.
jshowers

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azhais wrote:
swiss_vike wrote:

I don't think there's any universe where Mettenberger falls to the 2nd, however.

There definitely is. He threw 3 picks in the 1st half against Ole Miss and there will be questions about his statue-like pocket presence at times.
DaCDiggity

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Evans & CPAT on the outsides & Jennings in the slot

#GooseBumps

Let The Zimmer Dynasty Begin

2014 Wish List: Mack MACK and MoooRRReee MACK!!!!
PeteyPercyPonde

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jshowers wrote:
milanb wrote:

Shocked

Have you seen him play? RS sophomore and absolutely dominant. 6'5'' and 225 pounds. Plucks the ball away from defenders like Calvin does.

Also, zero off the field problems or character concerns.

I am a fan of Evans and he would be an asset to the team, but there are just too many holes to be taking a WR that high, at least IMO.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: