Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Would you want to trade for Josh Gordon or Kenny Britt?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NinerNation21

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't think the amount we'd have to give up is worth getting Gordon. Not only his immaturity but also because he wont be that valuable on the field. Kaep makes one to two reads then makes his decision. Read one and two are almost always Vernon and Boldin. Kaep isn't disciplined enough yet to look at three or four. How in the world would we get value out of Gordon if Kaep won't look at him. Plus throw in Crabtree when he gets back and this whole thing gets real muddled up. No need for Gordon, Kaep won't utilize him.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NinerNation21 wrote:
I really don't think the amount we'd have to give up is worth getting Gordon. Not only his immaturity but also because he wont be that valuable on the field. Kaep makes one to two reads then makes his decision. Read one and two are almost always Vernon and Boldin. Kaep isn't disciplined enough yet to look at three or four. How in the world would we get value out of Gordon if Kaep won't look at him. Plus throw in Crabtree when he gets back and this whole thing gets real muddled up. No need for Gordon, Kaep won't utilize him.

Well even if Kaep doesn't look for Gordon it will open up Boldin, VD, and the run game
NinerNation21

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyLeesAunt wrote:
NinerNation21 wrote:

Well even if Kaep doesn't look for Gordon it will open up Boldin, VD, and the run game

But is Gordon really that respected around the league that he could pull coverage away from other guys? I know everyone says Gordon has elite talent but hes still young and relatively unproven. I think he could help in shifting coverage but I don't think it will be that noticeable. I think these trade rumors are inflating his worth quite a bit. I've even heard people say he's a top 10 WR, seriously? He doesn't have that much production.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NinerNation21 wrote:
AndyLeesAunt wrote:
NinerNation21 wrote:

But is Gordon really that respected around the league that he could pull coverage away from other guys? I know everyone says Gordon has elite talent but hes still young and relatively unproven. I think he could help in shifting coverage but I don't think it will be that noticeable. I think these trade rumors are inflating his worth quite a bit. I've even heard people say he's a top 10 WR, seriously? He doesn't have that much production.

Most NFL WRs don't breakout until their 3rd year in the league. Gordon had 800 yards as a rookie, and before a bad game against Green Bay (where he admittedly dropped a few balls) he was averaging over 100 yards a game this season. And most of that is with the All-World QB Brandon Weeden throwing him the ball. He may not be a top 10 WR yet, but he's well on his way to becoming one.

A Big Thanks To PatsDynasty21
NinerNation21

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kikuchiyo wrote:
NinerNation21 wrote:
AndyLeesAunt wrote:
NinerNation21 wrote:

Most NFL WRs don't breakout until their 3rd year in the league. Gordon had 800 yards as a rookie, and before a bad game against Green Bay (where he admittedly dropped a few balls) he was averaging over 100 yards a game this season. And most of that is with the All-World QB Brandon Weeden throwing him the ball. He may not be a top 10 WR yet, but he's well on his way to becoming one.

I think his chances of becoming a top tier WR is still a big IF and only because of his attitude. With all the stuff surrounding Aldon, I'm not sure the front office would want to deal with a potential ticking time bomb.

What happens if we give up a 2nd round pick and a promising player for Gordon and 5 games later he gets busted for taking bong rips in his hotel room. That's two key assets flushed down the drain because we then wouldn't get Gordon back until late next season.

Ultimately it comes down to what gamble do you feel better with? A high draft pick that could yield a promising player or a bust, or taking a chance on a talented WR with major red flags and possible year suspension looming overhead. Personally I'll take my chances with the draft pick because I can pick someone with high character and also get to keep the player we would have to give up.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NinerNation21 wrote:
Ultimately it comes down to what gamble do you feel better with? A high draft pick that could yield a promising player or a bust, or taking a chance on a talented WR with major red flags and possible year suspension looming overhead. Personally I'll take my chances with the draft pick because I can pick someone with high character and also get to keep the player we would have to give up.

And, I'd take my chances on the guy whose already proven he can put up numbers in the NFL. Trent Baalke's a great GM, but he's drafted 3 WRs for this team so far, and those players have a combined 1 catch for 0 yards for our team. Shocked

A Big Thanks To PatsDynasty21
big9erfan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kikuchiyo wrote:
NinerNation21 wrote:

And, I'd take my chances on the guy whose already proven he can put up numbers in the NFL. Trent Baalke's a great GM, but he's drafted 3 WRs for this team so far, and those players have a combined 1 catch for 0 yards for our team. Shocked

+1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kikuchiyo wrote:
NinerNation21 wrote:

yupp, we threw away a first for 0 catches.
if we get gordon for a second.... well we can get at 20 this season i think

new sig... sorry alex
Forge

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NinerNation21 wrote:
Kikuchiyo wrote:
NinerNation21 wrote:
AndyLeesAunt wrote:
NinerNation21 wrote:

I think his chances of becoming a top tier WR is still a big IF and only because of his attitude. With all the stuff surrounding Aldon, I'm not sure the front office would want to deal with a potential ticking time bomb.

What happens if we give up a 2nd round pick and a promising player for Gordon and 5 games later he gets busted for taking bong rips in his hotel room. That's two key assets flushed down the drain because we then wouldn't get Gordon back until late next season.

I think the risk is worth the reward; he knows that if he gets hit with something again, he's gone for a year and it could potentially kill his entire career; or at least derail it and cost him a whole bunch of money. Now granted, that doesn't seem to bother some athletes, but he may be aware of it. To me, that's the only gamble with Gordon, but what makes it less of a gamble is the fact that it's actually within his control. Sure, still depends on what type of person he is, but he's in control and if he wants to cash in, he needs to behave. If he never improves on his production from last year, that's still significantly more than anything we've gotten from a drafted wide receiver in the last what, 10 years outside of Crabtree and Arnez Battle? And he's doing this with Brandon Weeden as his quarterback. Also, I will say that I think he's a great fit for Kaepernick as his quarterback as well; he's a legitimate deep threat and it really seems like Kaep hates throwing anything where the ball doesn't travel at least 10 yards in the air. When was the last time we had a legit deep threat on this team outside of Vernon Davis?

The risk on a second rounder is much more pronouned to me. And lets be honest, either second rounder we give up is almost a third anyway. My guess is both picks will be in the 56-60 range. There's no guarantee we get absolutely anything from whoever we draft there. Even if Gordon only played 4 games, got busted, and then came back after a year, there's a possibility that we'd get more production in the time he's playing than anything we get from a second rounder. With two picks, if we are going to gamble, now is the time to do it.

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
Forge

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
Kikuchiyo wrote:
NinerNation21 wrote:

+1

+2. And one very sad face as I think of the struggles of the last 10 years in drafting wide receivers....

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
Chrissooner49er

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still not interested in another headcase as a WR. Give up a high pick for someone who will be gone the entire season if he messes up?! Wouldn't be prudent at all.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: