Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Which of The Unknowns Can Contribute Next Year?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lil Uno

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Which of The Unknowns Can Contribute Next Year? Reply with quote

Minnesota is surely to have some sort of roster turnover this offseason. The team has several unproven players at problem spots.

We need help on the interior of the offensive line. The team drafted Jeff Baca in the 6th round last year and had a solid showing in the preseason. It looks like he is being groomed as a swing interior guy. We also have 7th round pick Travis Bond who spent time at both tackle and guard in training camp.

At Linebacker, we have the Penn State guys. Gerald Hodges was our 4th round pick but didn't look to good during exhibition play. Michael Mauti was a strong MLB prospect before his injury last season.

In the secondary, we need someone to play opposite of Harrison Smith. Mistral Raymond hasn't shown much but he also hasn't been noticeably negative. Andrew Sendajeo was resigned to a 3 year deal and Robert Blanton looked impressive when replacing Smith last season.

The Vikings won't be able to fill all of our weak spots in one offseason. Which of these guys can potentially fill one of the holes?

Todd Gurley to Minnesota!
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Fusco should move to left guard where some of his inconsistencies in the pass game can be masked by executing double teams with Kalil or Sullivan. Then I would have an open competition between Baca, Bond, a draft pick, or free agent etc for the right guard spot.

I honestly think there needs to be another open camp competition between Sanford, Sendejo, Raymond, Blanton, and whoever else they want to bring in for the safety spot next to Smith. Smith excels at playing in the box and can also play deep, but all Sanford can do is play in the box. If we move to more of a 4-2-5, Sanford could be an excellent hybrid, but gone are the days where having an enforcer of a safety in the box is necessary.

The linebacker position is another obvious one.

The benefit of a new coaching staff coming in, would be a re-evaluation of the entire starting lineup.
Lil Uno

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really high on Michael Mauti. He was at worst an early 3rd round pick before his injury. He is solid in coverage, strong in run support, and is a tremendous leader. I would hold off at MLB, even if we don't re-sign Henderson.

rpmwr19

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henderson is under contract for one more year, but would benefit moving back to the WILL position. In this day and age, I think a more athletic middle linebacker is necessary.

IMO, Mauti is a better fit for a WILL in a 43 I would never, ever doubt him though.
[UMN]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next year will be the last chance for Greg Childs. Hopefully he can stay healthy and make the roster.

I think one of Audie Cole, Mike Mauti or Gerald Hodges can take the WLB spot if they step up.

Jeff Baca or Travis Bond needs to make a push at one of the guard spots. Fusco also needs to really establish himself.

Hopefully Rhett Ellison can make John Carlson expendable and take over as the #2 guy.

I don't have much hope for any of the safeties. Just a logjam of mediocrity.
byuvike88

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lil Uno wrote:
I'm really high on Michael Mauti. He was at worst an early 3rd round pick before his injury. He is solid in coverage, strong in run support, and is a tremendous leader. I would hold off at MLB, even if we don't re-sign Henderson.

I really like Mauti also. He seems to be playing pretty well on special teams.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
Henderson is under contract for one more year, but would benefit moving back to the WILL position. In this day and age, I think a more athletic middle linebacker is necessary.

IMO, Mauti is a better fit for a WILL in this system. I would never, ever doubt him though.

Wow. I was under the impression he was operating under a one year contract. That's a better situation for us IMO. I would move Erin to WLB, start Mauti at MIKE, and groom Hodges to replace Greenway.

vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope that Mike Mauti or Gerald Hodges step up at one starting spot. Or at least see one of them (Hodges) show enough promise to be viewed as a replacement for a current starter.

If Bond or Baca could develop into a starting OG, that would help. I do like the idea of moving Fusco to LG.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really liked what I saw from Baca during preseason. Especially when he was playing left guard. His struggles were mainly due to the lack of strength but he moved very well and looked very good when he was in space. I believe his mobility is underrated.

I was a big fan of Hodges coming out of the draft but he just really struggled. I believe he had a hard time adjusting due to Penn State often having him lined up over the slot. I thought Mauti looked much better as the preseason wore on. Even though I am an Audie Cole fan from college, I thought Mauti surpassed him.

I don't have much faith in anyone we have at safety. I think Raymond is on his way out. I never liked switching Blanton to safety as I thought he was a pretty good nickle corner in college. Both Sanford and Sandejo are nothing more than core special teams players. I think Harrison Smith's tackling ability is being wasted due to having to play him along side players that struggle in coverage.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having Baca and Fusco compete at left guard may be a good idea. I don't think Baca has the ability to anchor 1 on 1 in the pass game which is a necessity on that side.

Then draft a player to compete with Bond on the right side, or sign a proven right guard like Jon Asamoah.
arKnaD7

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are so many down on Fusco? He has been the best of the offensive line this year IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arKnaD7 wrote:
Why are so many down on Fusco? He has been the best of the offensive line this year IMO.

I'm personally not down on him, but he's also maddeningly inconsistent. I still view him as a long term starter on this line, but he would be best suited switching to the left side. His biggest issue is anchoring against a DT, one on one, in the pass game. Given the chance to move to the left side and combo block in the pass game with a tackle or center and I think those inconsistencies would go away.

I was suggesting a competition, because Fusco was at his best competing with Geoff Schwartz.
swiss_vike

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need to start playing Mauti to see what we have in him. This is important to know before entering the draft.

It's clear we don't have anything currently on the roster at all the other positions of need (CB, S, DT, DE, OG, QB).
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swiss_vike wrote:
We need to start playing Mauti to see what we have in him. This is important to know before entering the draft.

It's clear we don't have anything currently on the roster at all the other positions of need (CB, S, DT, DE, OG, QB).

I don't agree with Og, its too soon to write off Baca and Bond, I'd like to see Baca get an opportunity. As for safety, it truly isn't that big of a need as Sanford has shown to be a solid player and isn't a liability. Safety is a luxury need but developmental depth could always be added. Another player id like to see is Robert Blanton.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
swiss_vike wrote:

I don't agree with Og, its too soon to write off Baca and Bond, I'd like to see Baca get an opportunity. As for safety, it truly isn't that big of a need as Sanford has shown to be a solid player and isn't a liability. Safety is a luxury need but developmental depth could always be added. Another player id like to see is Robert Blanton.

I might agree. This still leaves CB, DT, DE and QB as needs, which is still quite alot to address in one draft.

Wouldn't mind seing Bond or Baca getting plays at guard. If anything, we should play those young ones to get a clear picture on what we have going forward.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: