Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Panthers and Giants Talking Trade
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faccda01

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shaX 07 wrote:
Beason looked pretty good last night. Figures.

What's your point? Beason was not seeing the field for us and wasn't going to unseat Kuechly anytime soon. This is a best case scenario in my opinion. I want to see Beason do well, he's one of the genuinely nice guys in football. Meanwhile we get an extra 5th round pick and avoid a major salary cap hit in the offseason.

Win/Win if you ask me. Good for Jon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was good at times but also saw him diving at back of legs and missing a lot. Still very bad in coverage.

Was good stuffing run up middle but sideline to sideline not so good.

Thanks CK
Grizzly224

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]He was good at times but also saw him diving at back of legs and missing a lot. Still very bad in coverage.

Was good stuffing run up middle but sideline to sideline not so good. [/quote]

This.

I saw a guy do okay in run fits but I also saw a guy get blocked pretty ealy on blitz packages and I saw a guy miss assingments in coverage. He did look better in this game than he did for us at OLB but I think that has do to playing the MIKE.
I wish him the best and I hope he gets back to somewhat of the guy he was before his injuries but I do not regret the trade.

Last edited by Grizzly224 on Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
ericr0319

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beason not worth the money.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beason looked "ok" last night. He has definitely lost a step. Matt Forte outran him to the sideline and gained 13 yards before Beason tackled him, and Beason diagnosed the play correctly from the start. He just wasn't fast enough to tackle him in the backfield. He is below average in pass coverage as well. Kuechly is a massive upgrade in the middle and I am happy Beason has found a home in NY. People in this forum have such a "knee jerk" reaction to every little thing the Panthers do from an organizational standpoint. They were probably going to cut Beason before next season so getting anything for him is a win.
faccda01

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tbrown2699 wrote:
Beason looked "ok" last night. He has definitely lost a step. Matt Forte outran him to the sideline and gained 13 yards before Beason tackled him, and Beason diagnosed the play correctly from the start. He just wasn't fast enough to tackle him in the backfield. He is below average in pass coverage as well. Kuechly is a massive upgrade in the middle and I am happy Beason has found a home in NY. People in this forum have such a "knee jerk" reaction to every little thing the Panthers do from an organizational standpoint. They were probably going to cut Beason before next season so getting anything for him is a win.

Bingo. Getting a 5th and avoiding the cap hit for a bench player were both wins for us. The fact that Beason is doing decent is a bonus, cause he is such a likable guy.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

faccda01 wrote:
tbrown2699 wrote:

Bingo. Getting a 5th and avoiding the cap hit for a bench player were both wins for us. The fact that Beason is doing decent is a bonus, cause he is such a likable guy.

2 questions: Did we get a 5th rounder for him?
We are still subject to a cap hit for his guaranteed money, aren't we?
faccda01

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

catamount wrote:
faccda01 wrote:
tbrown2699 wrote:

1: Yes, a 5th
2: For this year, yes. However this offseason when FA hits we will be free of his contract, hence the main reason for the trade.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iknowcool wrote:
CTPanthersFan58 wrote:
if he rebounds to Pro Bowl form which isn't all that unlikely, everyone here would be calling this a terrible trade (which is already is)

And anybody who would be calling it a terrible trade would be showing hindsight bias.

Jon Beason was not going to play a single down for us at MLB unless Kuechly ended up going down and played poorly in 2 games for us before being benched by Blackburn, who looked quite good vs. New York. Even ignoring that, we weren't rolling out on the field with 3 LBs too much in the first place, decreasing Beason's value for us even more.

I am not seeing how it is a bad trade. It makes perfect sense. We were paying Beason a good chunk of change considering he was no longer starting and was never going to return to form here if what is needed for him is to play MLB again. We had very little leverage in the first place with his contract and his position on our depth chart. Not to mention Beason has pretty much missed 2 entire seasons in a row and has struggled mightily this year (and people may not remember but he was straight up terrible in 2012).

If he returns to form, that is great for him and I think everyone hopes he does. But it wasn't working out here and Gettleman's primary objective was to clear cap room. J Pep mentioned it. Would you rather keep Beason and hope he can relive his glory days out of position while not playing the majority of our snaps or trade him to increase your ability to re-sign Hardy? For me this was an easy decision and I don't really see this as being a bad trade. Beason returning to Pro Bowl form means nothing to us. If he truly needs to play MLB to accomplish that, then it means he was never going to do it here.

except i'm calling a bad trade before it even happened. so thats not hindsight bias. we could have and should have gotten more than a 5th rounder. who essentially will be a special teams player or a backup lineman for a starting MLB with a pro bowl pedigree

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And who was going to pay more than a 5th rounder for a LB coming off 2 straight season ending injuries who had been struggling mightily for weeks while also having knowledge the team holding him no longer needed nor wanted him?

Do people think Carolina settled with taking a 5th rounder and refused to get more? No, that wasn't the case. That was the value. We had no leverage hence a 5th round pick.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iknowcool wrote:
And who was going to pay more than a 5th rounder for a LB coming off 2 straight season ending injuries who had been struggling mightily for weeks while also having knowledge the team holding him no longer needed nor wanted him?

Do people think Carolina settled with taking a 5th rounder and refused to get more? No, that wasn't the case. That was the value. We had no leverage hence a 5th round pick.

I thought we were fortunate to get the 5th. And you have mentioned the reasons why quite well.
BringinDaPain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faccda01 wrote:
catamount wrote:
faccda01 wrote:
tbrown2699 wrote:

1: Yes, a 5th
2: For this year, yes. However this offseason when FA hits we will be free of his contract, hence the main reason for the trade.

Someone got a link on getting a 5th?

2012 DROY Winner - Luke Kuechly 164 tackles, 2 Int, 1 sack, 11 TFLs, 8 PD and 3 Fumble recoveries
Luke Kuechly - 2013 Defensive Player of the Year
Xfaxtor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tbrown2699 wrote:

Is it sad that hes by FAR the best linebacker we have had in the last 10 years Laughing

^Joe_is_the_best

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: