Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Why I wouldn't resign Greg Hardy...
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Panthers 24/7


Joined: 09 Jan 2008
Posts: 1137
Location: NY
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Why I wouldn't resign Greg Hardy... Reply with quote

First off let me say this: Hardy is a great player, crazy athleticism, and makes a ton of impact plays...

BUTTTT.....

I DO NOT want to overpay this guy, the Hurney days of overpaying certain players and having the rest being mediocre-bad starters is gone.

If he wants to take the deal (32m for 4 years right?) then i would most certainly be happy, and MAYBE raise that price by 1 more million each year, thats it.

We just cant have a player as spotty as him (he should call himself inconsistent instead of The Kraken Cool ) 3 sacks all year....in one game against the Giants o-line Rolling Eyes

Once again, he is a great player and I would lovee to have him resign with us, but losing him is not that big of a deal, CJ sees way more double teams than him anyways.
_________________


Cam Newton
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
boondock


Moderator
Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 21262
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really surprised that Hardy hasn't shown up more this year in the sack department being it's his "contract year". I'm actually not a fan of paying him a lot of money; I felt the contract we have on the table now is a bit much and was thinking a 5-6M/year contract would be suitable.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
faccda01


Joined: 25 Feb 2007
Posts: 4036
Location: Delaware
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondock wrote:
I'm really surprised that Hardy hasn't shown up more this year in the sack department being it's his "contract year". I'm actually not a fan of paying him a lot of money; I felt the contract we have on the table now is a bit much and was thinking a 5-6M/year contract would be suitable.



Agreed. I think a pass rusher of Hardy's nature would not be the hardest position to replace. We can use that money in OL help. If he takes the 8mil, fine, but I wouldn't go much higher.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
catamount


Joined: 09 Dec 2012
Posts: 91
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardy does a lot of dirty work and can play inside. He pressures the QB a lot, but he is no Charles johnson, who is second in the NFL in that category. He has 3 sacks against a weak T, but he is solid vs. the run.

Is Frank johnson as good as Hardy in his second year? Yes.

What could we get with the $$ he would cost?
A: A WR and a RT.

While our DL would be reduced some, the upgrades on offense would be more noticeable.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rjkilla


Joined: 01 Jan 2008
Posts: 5381
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the strength at DT makes him expendable. maybe if they kicked him inside like last year he would get some more sacks. he is sooo versatile and i would pay the man. there was a 3rd down last game where we had 3 down lineman and hardy standing coming off the edge with a safety blitz. i love players that make things like that possible
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fraziafraze07


Joined: 16 Apr 2006
Posts: 9269
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His lack of sacks are overblown. He's getting pressure on the QB fairly consistently and he's got a great motor.

I don't want to overpay, but people are kidding themselves if they think Frank Alexander is going to step in and perform anywhere close to Hardy's level.

I'd give Hardy more than the current deal, but not much more. I agree that the rest of the front seven is strong enough that we can afford to lose him at the expense of improving the weak areas--i.e. the offense-- of the team.
_________________


Rich7sena wrote:
Someone's going HAM on the button in Buffalo Wild Wings.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
faccda01


Joined: 25 Feb 2007
Posts: 4036
Location: Delaware
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fraziafraze07 wrote:
His lack of sacks are overblown. He's getting pressure on the QB fairly consistently and he's got a great motor.

I don't want to overpay, but people are kidding themselves if they think Frank Alexander is going to step in and perform anywhere close to Hardy's level.
I'd give Hardy more than the current deal, but not much more. I agree that the rest of the front seven is strong enough that we can afford to lose him at the expense of improving the weak areas--i.e. the offense-- of the team.


Thank you. From what I've seen, Alexander has been awful this year. He's been out of position and has multiple penalties. Not signing Hardy is a valid point to make, but saying Alexander is the answer is not a valid solution.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
faccda01


Joined: 25 Feb 2007
Posts: 4036
Location: Delaware
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm starting to change my stance on this one. He is playing on another level this year, and I think we need to lock him up.

My main concern is it seems he is very focused on individual stats. Last night his main complaint was that he wasn't given credit for a sack that he should have. This makes me think that he is playing for the paycheck. I hope I'm wrong, and I still want to lock him up, but that is a big concern.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
haggis


Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 1489
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they arent gonna pay Hardy they better tag and trade him...no reason they cant get a 2nd rounder for his talent
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ericr0319


Joined: 31 Jul 2006
Posts: 1090
Location: Florida
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haggis wrote:
If they arent gonna pay Hardy they better tag and trade him...no reason they cant get a 2nd rounder for his talent

Hardy should def be tagged, draft another DE and see how he plays.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
faccda01


Joined: 25 Feb 2007
Posts: 4036
Location: Delaware
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericr0319 wrote:
haggis wrote:
If they arent gonna pay Hardy they better tag and trade him...no reason they cant get a 2nd rounder for his talent

Hardy should def be tagged, draft another DE and see how he plays.


I wouldn't do that. We need to use our picks on WRs, OL, and any remaining ones on DBs. I think Hardy has earned his contract at this point and likes playing here. We need to keep this DL intact for as long as possible. Look at the success we had with Rucker/Buckner/Jenkins/Peppers. After that line got broken up we started to struggle.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ericr0319


Joined: 31 Jul 2006
Posts: 1090
Location: Florida
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faccda01 wrote:
ericr0319 wrote:
haggis wrote:
If they arent gonna pay Hardy they better tag and trade him...no reason they cant get a 2nd rounder for his talent

Hardy should def be tagged, draft another DE and see how he plays.


I wouldn't do that. We need to use our picks on WRs, OL, and any remaining ones on DBs. I think Hardy has earned his contract at this point and likes playing here. We need to keep this DL intact for as long as possible. Look at the success we had with Rucker/Buckner/Jenkins/Peppers. After that line got broken up we started to struggle.

I am not saying use a top pick on DE, but we can def spend a 4th or one of our 2 5ths on one.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Impulser12000


Joined: 02 Mar 2005
Posts: 2347
Location: SO CAL
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a sticky situation but all the points so far made are valid. Hardy is a young talent that will be difficult to replace. That being said I do not want to overpay for him. I think the current deal is more than fair and I don't want to hurney our cap for 2 positions. We still have other holes and other bloated contracts that we still need to work out.
I do hope we re-sign him but only at the right price.
_________________


CarolinaKitten on the sig
CAROLINA DID NOT DRAFT ARMANTI EDWARDS TO PLAY QB...or at all. Man he sucks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CarolinaRoar


Joined: 22 Jun 2008
Posts: 1555
Location: NJ
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pshhhh.. Hardy plays his role well. He does what the coaches ask. It doesn't take stats to see he constantly gets pressure on the QB. Not to mention he is always hustling to make the tackle and the demeanor he brings. I hope he stays. #kraken
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
faccda01


Joined: 25 Feb 2007
Posts: 4036
Location: Delaware
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think bringing Peppers back for cheap in the offseason would be a great move. He would thrive with this defense.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group