Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Official 2014 Draft Prospects thread...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was just watching tape of Travis Swanson's LSU game and wow, Anthony Johnson was just a dominant force whenever he played. Swanson pretty easily handled and/or dominated all the other LSU DL (well Logan had a couple plays with decent penetration). But Anthony Johnson... that guy was a force.

Apparently he's been a disappointment this season, but all I know is Swanson is a beast and handled everyone but that dude.

The praise for Johnson aside, Swanson made everyone his garden instrument when run blocking. This guy is something special as a run blocker... and he's perfect for our ZBS as he was running a lot of the same concepts on tape.

I swear if we add this guy in the draft, with the upgrade at LT... if we can also retain our play at RT (via Oher, cheap veteran, or rookie) we could look really lethal in run blocking next season. Swanson's pass blocking could use some work, holds up well at the POA, but can be susceptible to double moves by quicker inside guys. Delayed blitzes from the ILB also have worked because Swanson is so eager to block that he helps a teammate, but upon doing that, opens up a lane for the blitzer to take advantage of... he has to show a little more patience... but both of those weaknesses are pretty easy to correct, especially the patience part.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 2014 Draft Prospects thread... Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:

WR
Jordan Matthews: 6'2.5" 205 lbs, est 40- 4.49, est vert- 36", senior/2014
Another interesting WR prospect. For a tall guy he has nice quick feet to get in and out of his breaks. His hands are a little more inconsistent than I'd like. He puts in nice effort in run blocking. Does a nice job of giving a slight push to defender to create space when the ball is in the air and he's tightly covered. Definitely not a #1 option, but has a similar game to Tandon Doss, but with more speed. Could be an interesting option if he falls to the late 2nd or later. Looks to have the potential of a above average to good #2 WR option.

Just wanted to update my thoughts on Matthews.

His hands definitely aren't inconsistent. I must've watched some of his worst tape. The guy has some of the best hands in this draft. And I also reject my earlier statement that he can't be a #1 option. I think he has definite top 10-15 potential.

The more I watch of Matthews, the more I'm impressed. He's not the redzone threat that I think we need, but boy this guy is a machine. He's not a beast, he's not physically overwhelming like an Andre Johnson or a Calvin Johnson, but he's a machine... like Derrick Mason. Somehow this guy just finds a way to keep producing.

He's so nimble and shifty for a 6'3" receiver. He reminds me Reggie Wayne. Guys that tall usually aren't so nimble and shifty. He's not quite the gazelle as AJ Green, but he's definitely agile. And he runs some awesome routes.

He does possess a similar game to Tandon Doss, but he's unquestionably better... he's faster, more agile, stronger, and uses his body better. He also looks slightly taller and much more tone and muscular. It probably also helps that Matthews has NFL bloodlines... he's Jerry Rice's second cousin.

Matthews would definitely be a very good compliment to Torrey Smith as an outside threat. And I think I underestimated his leaping ability. I think he might very well have a vertical somewhere between 37"- 40".

Jordan Matthews: 6'2 3/4" 206 lbs, est 40- 4.49, est vert- 38.5", 3-cone: 6.98, short shuttle: 4.20, senior/2014... Early 2nd rd grade.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 2014 Draft Prospects thread... Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:

WR
Jordan Matthews: 6'2.5" 205 lbs, est 40- 4.49, est vert- 36", senior/2014
Another interesting WR prospect. For a tall guy he has nice quick feet to get in and out of his breaks. His hands are a little more inconsistent than I'd like. He puts in nice effort in run blocking. Does a nice job of giving a slight push to defender to create space when the ball is in the air and he's tightly covered. Definitely not a #1 option, but has a similar game to Tandon Doss, but with more speed. Could be an interesting option if he falls to the late 2nd or later. Looks to have the potential of a above average to good #2 WR option.

Just wanted to update my thoughts on Matthews.

His hands definitely aren't inconsistent. I must've watched some of his worst tape. The guy has some of the best hands in this draft. And I also reject my earlier statement that he can't be a #1 option. I think he has definite top 10-15 potential.

The more I watch of Matthews, the more I'm impressed. He's not the redzone threat that I think we need, but boy this guy is a machine. He's not a beast, he's not physically overwhelming like an Andre Johnson or a Calvin Johnson, but he's a machine... like Derrick Mason. Somehow this guy just finds a way to keep producing.

He's so nimble and shifty for a 6'3" receiver. He reminds me Reggie Wayne. Guys that tall usually aren't so nimble and shifty. He's not quite the gazelle as AJ Green, but he's definitely agile. And he runs some awesome routes.

He does possess a similar game to Tandon Doss, but he's unquestionably better... he's faster, more agile, stronger, and uses his body better. He also looks slightly taller and much more tone and muscular. It probably also helps that Matthews has NFL bloodlines... he's Jerry Rice's second cousin.

Matthews would definitely be a very good compliment to Torrey Smith as an outside threat. And I think I underestimated his leaping ability. I think he might very well have a vertical somewhere between 37"- 40".

Jordan Matthews: 6'2 3/4" 206 lbs, est 40- 4.49, est vert- 38.5", 3-cone: 6.98, short shuttle: 4.20, senior/2014... Early 2nd rd grade.

Reminds me of a thinner Jordy Nelson personally.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm starting to really like Michael Sam.

It may seem redundant to some degree to draft another DE/OLB, but with McPhee probably leaving as a FA and not really having a guy who can get to the QB consistently behind Suggs and Dumervil, it might make some sense due to the premium placed on getting to the QB.

By trading for Monroe, we can probably look at WR or TE in round 1, and still get Sam in the 2nd round.

Thoughts?
coordinator0

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McPhee isn't a free agent after this season. I think the team is pretty high on Hamilton too so I'm really doubting that they add a pass-rusher in the DE/OLB mold. Maybe a guy who plays on the line but I'm skeptical about that too.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
McPhee isn't a free agent after this season. I think the team is pretty high on Hamilton too so I'm really doubting that they add a pass-rusher in the DE/OLB mold. Maybe a guy who plays on the line but I'm skeptical about that too.

Yeah, we're stacked at OLB... the last thing we need to do is add another high round option. We already have:
1. Suggs (veteran)
2. Doom (veteran)
3. Upshaw (high 2nd)
4. Simon (4th)
5. Hamilton

So we've got both talent and depth. We really haven't a need for an OLB. The only pass rushing threat I'd be inclined to select in the 2nd round would be a DL talent like Dominique Easley.

That said, we still need a center. Even if we spend our 1st round pick on a
WR, we should still be targeting a center in the 2nd round. Gradkowski is not the solution.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:

Yeah, we're stacked at OLB... the last thing we need to do is add another high round option. We already have:
1. Suggs (veteran)
2. Doom (veteran)
3. Upshaw (high 2nd)
4. Simon (4th)
5. Hamilton

So we've got both talent and depth. We really haven't a need for an OLB. The only pass rushing threat I'd be inclined to select in the 2nd round would be a DL talent like Dominique Easley.

That said, we still need a center. Even if we spend our 1st round pick on a
WR, we should still be targeting a center in the 2nd round. Gradkowski is not the solution.

Yeah, if there's one thing we could add to the front seven, it's a JJ Watt/Muhammad Wilkerson disrupting/playmaking type 5 Tech. Haven't watched any of Easley yet to say rather or not he fits the bill.

Not expecting Canty or Arthur Jones to be around for much longer either.

2000WORLD CHAMPIONS2012
gooselovechild

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:

I don't know why I thought McPhee was a FA after this season.

But I still like Sam an awful lot, and think it would be a typical Ozzie type move to grab a guy you may not need immediately so he's ready to step right in when players move on or get hurt.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gooselovechild wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:

I don't know why I thought McPhee was a FA after this season.

But I still like Sam an awful lot, and think it would be a typical Ozzie type move to grab a guy you may not need immediately so he's ready to step right in when players move on or get hurt.

Ozzie doesn't usually do that with his higher picks though. Most of the first and second rounders I can think of off the top of my head were values at positions of need.
alfalcone

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal opinion is that we need a back seven player, likely a free safety who can generate turnovers. Our defense is extraordinarily solid, but we don't have anyone who thrives at creating turnovers. Lamarcus Joyner or Ed Reynolds in the mid rounds could be a good fit.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alfalcone wrote:
My personal opinion is that we need a back seven player, likely a free safety who can generate turnovers. Our defense is extraordinarily solid, but we don't have anyone who thrives at creating turnovers. Lamarcus Joyner or Ed Reynolds in the mid rounds could be a good fit.

Agreed. But I'd rather we target Ty Zimmerman over Ed Reynolds. The guy just looks so soft on tape that it's incredible. He misses more tackles than Old Man Ed Reed. Sometimes it even looks like he's trying to avoid the tackle as he "tries" to make it.

Joyner is definitely a very instinctive player, but he's only 5'8"... and while his height shouldn't necessarily hurt him, I just don't like the idea of having two short safeties. Not that I'm against Joyner as a pick. I just don't think it'd be the ideal pick.

My favorite safety fits for us (opposite Elam) would probably look something like:
1. Craig Loston, LSU
2. HaSean Clinton Dix, Alabama
3. Deone Buchanan, Washington State

4a. Tre Boston, NC
4b. Ty Zimmerman, Kansas
6. Sean Parker, Washington

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've enjoyed watching Craig Loston, and think he's going to be a very good player in the NFL. But most people seem to be labelling him a SS, which isn't really what the Ravens need.

I'd rather see Elam playing SS, and making plays in the box, with a natural centrefielder behind him. If Loston can do that, then great.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:
I've enjoyed watching Craig Loston, and think he's going to be a very good player in the NFL. But most people seem to be labelling him a SS, which isn't really what the Ravens need.

I'd rather see Elam playing SS, and making plays in the box, with a natural centrefielder behind him. If Loston can do that, then great.

I don't get caught up in labels.

Loston can play at the LOS and play back. He can cover TEs and he makes plays. He's an all around safety.

He's not the ideal mix with Elam, but I think he's the best safety in this class. I think both Loston and Elam can both play left safety-right safety with how well balanced they are as players. Elam has been forced to play more deep coverage looks than Ihedigbo because that's a weakness in Ihedigbo's game whereas for Elam, it's... just not a strength. Same with Loston. The guy can play anywhere and do anything.

The safety that's probably the best fit for Elam however would probably be either Clinton-Dix or Deone Bucanan... and really, I kind of feel like Bucanon might be a superior player to HCD. They're very similar players but Deone seems slightly faster and seems possessed of slightly better pass defense instincts. But I'll give it a full season before I make that decision. Either way, I definitely think those are the top three safety options, no question.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Calvin Pryor from Louisville. Reminds me a lot of Cyprien.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
1/10. Not a fan[of C.J. Mosley]. Just another future failed Alabama product.
hemm68

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thoughts on skipping wide receiver In the first and picking up josh Stewart in the later rounds. Should be a very solid slot receiver maybe exactly what this offense needs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 3 of 25

Jump to: