Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Panthers and Giants Talking Trade
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shaX 07

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how I feel about this... I loved what Beason did when healthy, and he brings good leadership skills.... I do like the idea of acquiring more draft picks and not trading them away.... It pains me to see the Patriots have twice as many draft picks as the Panthers year after year.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baaaah...the giants WILL put him back in the middle. they DO hope he returns to pro bowl form. that hope is not sufficiently represented in the compensation received. you're welcome giants sincerely gettleman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does it matter if he returns to Pro Bowl form at MLB? He was never going to accomplish that here and I would argue Kuechly is playing just as well, if not better, than Beason did here sans Beason's exceptional 2009 season. We were paying him an absurd amount of money considering he was no longer starting and hadn't played well for us since his injury in 2011 - he was horrendous last year.

With that said, I am happy for him and will be rooting for him. Great guy, truly, and I still feel he has something to offer a team. I just hope he can stay healthy. It will be weird to see him in a Giants uniform, though.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. Happy for him. Hope he bounces back and does well. We all love the guy and appreciate what he did for the team and us fans. But with Kuechly in the fold, Beason just isnt in the long term plan. So we move him off the books and free up space for players that are in the long term plan. If I have to trade Beason for a late round pick in order to secure Greg Hardy long term, then I take that deal.

CK on the sig
CTPanthersFan58

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So your telling me if we asked the Giants for a 4th rounder they say no way? This part makes no sense about the NFL enormous talent dealt for next to nothing, I know he's been injured but if he rebounds to Pro Bowl form which isn't all that unlikely, everyone here would be calling this a terrible trade (which is already is)

Annnnndddd you've been siged.
boondock

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CTPanthersFan58 wrote:
So your telling me if we asked the Giants for a 4th rounder they say no way? This part makes no sense about the NFL enormous talent dealt for next to nothing, I know he's been injured but if he rebounds to Pro Bowl form which isn't all that unlikely, everyone here would be calling this a terrible trade (which is already is)

We have to take what we can get. Beason was not in the team's plans anymore, they had moved on from him and even structured his contract to where he's easily cut this offseason.

He hasn't been playing well this year and it was obvious he was our 4th LB on the depth charter. We had to see what we could get for him.

The Giants are essentially giving up a 5th to kick the tires on Beason. They'll plug him in, see what happens. If he returns to form, they'll look to sign him long term.

Based on what we have seen, the Panthers were not going to resign him after this year. They gave him an opportunity to play and prove his value in the league again.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CTPanthersFan58 wrote:
if he rebounds to Pro Bowl form which isn't all that unlikely, everyone here would be calling this a terrible trade (which is already is)

And anybody who would be calling it a terrible trade would be showing hindsight bias.

Jon Beason was not going to play a single down for us at MLB unless Kuechly ended up going down and played poorly in 2 games for us before being benched by Blackburn, who looked quite good vs. New York. Even ignoring that, we weren't rolling out on the field with 3 LBs too much in the first place, decreasing Beason's value for us even more.

I am not seeing how it is a bad trade. It makes perfect sense. We were paying Beason a good chunk of change considering he was no longer starting and was never going to return to form here if what is needed for him is to play MLB again. We had very little leverage in the first place with his contract and his position on our depth chart. Not to mention Beason has pretty much missed 2 entire seasons in a row and has struggled mightily this year (and people may not remember but he was straight up terrible in 2012).

If he returns to form, that is great for him and I think everyone hopes he does. But it wasn't working out here and Gettleman's primary objective was to clear cap room. J Pep mentioned it. Would you rather keep Beason and hope he can relive his glory days out of position while not playing the majority of our snaps or trade him to increase your ability to re-sign Hardy? For me this was an easy decision and I don't really see this as being a bad trade. Beason returning to Pro Bowl form means nothing to us. If he truly needs to play MLB to accomplish that, then it means he was never going to do it here.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck to Beason and his future career. Kinda sad every player's jersey I have bought(besides Smitty), has gone to another team. Collins, Stephen Davis, Greene, Peppers and now Beason! It's also interesting that Thomas Davis has out lasted quite a few other LBs on our team....

PSN id - Kemikalmbalinsce
boondock

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atown703 wrote:
Good luck to Beason and his future career. Kinda sad every player's jersey I have bought(besides Smitty), has gone to another team. Collins, Stephen Davis, Greene, Peppers and now Beason! It's also interesting that Thomas Davis has out lasted quite a few other LBs on our team....

Davis has also gotten better with age.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get what they were doing with this trade but I would have at least liked to see it as a conditionally pick.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have we gotten an official release of the specific round our pick is going to be from this trade?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CTPanthersFan58 wrote:

Are you suggesting the Panthers are giving up Beason for less because they want to?

Trades are about leverage. The Panthers have none when it comes to Beason.

CK on the sig
boondock

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J Pep 4 Step wrote:
CTPanthersFan58 wrote:

Are you suggesting the Panthers are giving up Beason for less because they want to?

Exactly. Had Beason not been injured the past 2 years or had shown flashes of the old Beason this year, it's a different story; we could have asked for a 2nd/3rd pick. Given that neither of these were the case, we had to settle for a lesser pick.

Panthers were smart to get out while the offer was on the table. Get something for potentially nothing.

This could work out well for the Giants, with more repetition Beason may come back to full speed and be what we knew Beason to be. Then again it may not. The Giants were so desperate for LBs that they trade for a guy that is ultimately a huge gamble.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondock wrote:
J Pep 4 Step wrote:
CTPanthersFan58 wrote:

Exactly. Had Beason not been injured the past 2 years or had shown flashes of the old Beason this year, it's a different story; we could have asked for a 2nd/3rd pick. Given that neither of these were the case, we had to settle for a lesser pick.

Panthers were smart to get out while the offer was on the table. Get something for potentially nothing.

This could work out well for the Giants, with more repetition Beason may come back to full speed and be what we knew Beason to be. Then again it may not. The Giants were so desperate for LBs that they trade for a guy that is ultimately a huge gamble.

For a 5th round pick, I'd take my chances.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beason looked pretty good last night. Figures.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: