Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How did I do?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biggio7

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: How did I do? Reply with quote

I had the Texans in a mock draft. I think I did a pretty decent job in this off-season. Yes, I was competing against others for FAs and the draft. I got every target I wanted.

Houston Texans

QB- TJ Yates, Case Keenum, Derek Carr
RB- Arian Foster, Cierre Wood, Damien Williams
FB- JC Copeland
WR- Andre Johnson, Keshawn Martin, Jarvis Landry
WR- DeAndre Hopkins, Devier Posey
Slot- Jeremy Maclin
TE- Owen Daniels, Garrett Graham, Ryan Griffin

LT- Duane Brown, David Queensberry
LG- Ben Jones, Gabe Jackson
C- Chris Myers
RG- Brandon Brooks, Nate Menkin
RT- Derek Newton, Brennan Williams

DE- JJ Watt, Jared Crick
DT- Earl Mitchell, Daquan Jones
DE- Stephon Tuitt, Tim Jamison

OLB- Brooks Reed, Sam Montgomery, Trevardo Williams
MLB- Brian Cushing, Marquis Flowers
MLB- Jon Beason, Michael Mauti
OLB- Whitney Mercilus, Bryan Braman, Willie Jefferson

CB- Jonathan Joseph, Brandon Harris, Kyle Fuller
FS- Ed Reed, Charles Woodson
SS- Daniel Manning, DJ Swearinger. Eddie Pleasant
CB- Kareem Jackson, AJ Bouye

K- Randy Bullock
P- Shane Lecter
LS- Jon Weeks

IR: One of the linebackers, it's the Texans way. That gets it down to 53.

Practice Squad: 8
Larry Webster, OLB; Bloomsburg
Sean Parker, S; Washington
James White, RB; Wisconsin
Jacob Petersen, TE; Wisconsin
Chris Davenport, NT; Tulane
Matt Hall, OT; Belhaven
Justin Tuggle, ILB
Kadron Boone, WR; LSU

FA signings:
Brian Cushing (resigned) 7M cap hit
A seven-year, $50 million contract. The deal contains $25 million guaranteed. Another $12 million is available through incentives. 2 million signing bonus.

Kareem Jackson (resigned) 6M cap hit
a 4 year, 20 million dollar a year deal. He is guaranteed 12.5 million dollars. A signing bonus of 2 million dollars(which will be spread out through the 4 years.) Another 4 million in incentives... 1 million max per year of the deal based on getting to the probowl/number of games played.

Jeremy Maclin: 4M cap hit
2014/15- $1 mil (base salary) with a $2 mil (signing bonus), $1 mil in incentives (Must play at least 14 games)
Team option: 2015/16- $6mil (base salary), $2 mil (signing bonus) and another $2 mil (with incentives)

Transactions:
Matt Schaub to Vikings
2nd rd, Michael Mauti to Texans
Resigned Brian Cushing and Kareem Jackson
Signed Jeremy Maclin (4M)
Signed Michael Robinson (1 M) Released, beat out in camp by Copeland.
Signed Earl Mitchell (1M)
Signed Charles Woodson (1M)
Signed Jon Beason (3.1M)

Draft:
1st- Stephon Tuitt, DL; Notre Dame
2nd(via Vikings)- Gabe Jackson, OG; Mississippi State
2nd- Derek Carr, QB; Fresno State
3rd- Daquan Jones, NT; Penn State
4th- Kyle Fuller, CB; Virginia Tech
5th- Jarvis Landry, WR; LSU
6th- Damien Williams, RB; Oklahoma
7th- Marquis Flowers, LB; Arizona

UDFA: Camp bodies
Jerry Rice, Jr., WR; UNLV
Keith McGill, DB; Utah
Taylor Martinez, QB; Nebraska
Will Clarke, DE; West Virginia
Dakota Dozier, OG; Furman
Jeremy Deering, S; Rutgers

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Carr in Houston......I couldnt fathom that.

TexanNation Roast http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=237149
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blaze wrote:
Another Carr in Houston......I couldnt fathom that.

A rOokie David Carr with this O-Line and Kubiak as a coach would become every bit as good as Schuab

2014 Adopt-A-Texan
Andre Johnson
6 catches 93 yards
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion of the 2014 draft:

1. Tuitt, excellent pick, he and Watt would anchor our D-line for years to come.
2. Jackson, I love the player but I'd really rather see an OT that can compete as a starter at RT.
2. Carr, I don't know much about him but the media sure would love this pick, they'd be talking for years.
3. Jones, good pick and you've sure solidified our D-line and added quality depth.
4. Fuller, can't believe he fell this far, very good pick and a definite need filled.
5. Landry, seems to be decent value in the 5th and probably moves LeStar Jean off the roster.
6. Williams, don't know anything about him since I haven't even begun to look at RB's
7. Flowers, I don't know anything about him but looked him up on CBS, probably practice squad.

I really like what you did for the D-line. My only complaints are an OT in the 2nd instead of Jackson, and I'd like to see an OLB earlier in the draft so that we can move Brooks Reed to ILB and fix 2 positions with 1 pick.
biggio7

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the OTs were gone by the mid second round. I went with Jackson because I don't see Ben Jones as the full time OG. He'll move to Center to take over for Myers (who is getting costly, granted he is playing awesome but his salary is really up there.) With Brennan Williams and Queensberry as OTs coming in learning the system, I could see one of them stepping up and taking over for Newton. I felt like the depth was there and the versatility as well.

I knew the Carr pick would be interesting. I do agree, if he is learning from Kubiak from the start, that would be huge. He does have a big arm and can move. I'd expect him to do very well and would create a nice 3 way battle between him, Yates and Keenum.

After losing The Ninja to a contracted deal in FA that I couldn't afford. Getting Tuitt and Daquan was awesome. Some are down on Tuitt this year saying he isn't as good but putting him on a team with Watt should boost him. Daquan was a perfect fit for Wade's 3-4.

I had to check the draft a few times to make sure Fuller wasn't picked yet. I was thrilled. Drafting him got Brice McCain off the roster. I'm sure people are curious about my Charles Woodson addition. It was cheap and him and Reed together would be interesting. I'd plan using them as a platoon. One active one game. Whoever is hot or has a good record against a certain QB for instance.

OLB is pretty deep looking at it and having Larry Webster on the PS too. He probably will get drafted in real life. So Flowers could be a PS squad guy if Reed can switch to ILB. I signed Beason cause I thought he could have an impact but he often gets hurt so backup plans are always needed.

Damien Williams was the best running back available because he is said to have a solid plant to cut back. Perfect for the scheme. And, he has great catching ability. It was between a signed Michael Robinson or a UDFA JC Copeland. Might be biased cause I'm an LSU fan but I think Copeland is a great FB. I went with Landry in the 5th to get Jean off the roster. Landry won't see much time at WR in his first year but will make his case on special teams. He can block and tackles like a linebacker. Maclin was a surprise. I had to offer a pitch to get him. I didn't expect it cause the money wasn't as high as other offers he got. Him, Dre and Nuke. Love it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have gone for Murray in the 2nd over Carr, but that is just me. Other than that, great job
Grasspike

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A TJ Yates-led Texans team would not make the playoffs.

Sig by matthouston91
biggio7

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grasspike wrote:

I guess Keenum or Carr would beat him out then.

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggio7 wrote:
Grasspike wrote:

- A Case Keenum-led Texans team would not make the playoffs.
- A Derek Carr-led Texans team would not make the playoffs.

In short: If you're trading away Matt Schaub and NOT making drafting a top tier QB in the 1st, you're taking several steps backward. I am pretty against Schaub as much as the next guy, but if you're going to look to take steps forward, you don't trade him away and attempt to fill his spot by inferior players. That only makes the problem worse.

If you're gunning for a Bridgewater, Hundley, Manziel, Mariota or Boyd, then moving Schaub makes sense. Anything less is setting the team up for failure.

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
biggio7

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
biggio7 wrote:
Grasspike wrote:

In short: If you're trading away Matt Schaub and NOT making drafting a top tier QB in the 1st, you're taking several steps backward. I am pretty against Schaub as much as the next guy, but if you're going to look to take steps forward, you don't trade him away and attempt to fill his spot by inferior players. That only makes the problem worse.

If you're gunning for a Bridgewater, Hundley, Manziel, Mariota or Boyd, then moving Schaub makes sense. Anything less is setting the team up for failure.

All of those QBs were gone, I think except for Manziel, who is a circus and I could see being Ryan Leaf esq. He just wants his cash. Getting Schaub for a 2nd round draft pick before the draft? Who wouldn't take it? I'm a Schaub supporter but I felt like I couldn't pass on that deal. In this offense, it's running back friendly and quarter back friendly. I could see any of those 3 being just as solid as Schaub and I think they all could move better in the pocket or scramble.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
biggio7 wrote:
Grasspike wrote:

Pff. You just came around.
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggio7 wrote:
Most of the OTs were gone by the mid second round. I went with Jackson because I don't see Ben Jones as the full time OG. He'll move to Center to take over for Myers (who is getting costly, granted he is playing awesome but his salary is really up there.) With Brennan Williams and Queensberry as OTs coming in learning the system, I could see one of them stepping up and taking over for Newton. I felt like the depth was there and the versatility as well.

I knew the Carr pick would be interesting. I do agree, if he is learning from Kubiak from the start, that would be huge. He does have a big arm and can move. I'd expect him to do very well and would create a nice 3 way battle between him, Yates and Keenum.

After losing The Ninja to a contracted deal in FA that I couldn't afford. Getting Tuitt and Daquan was awesome. Some are down on Tuitt this year saying he isn't as good but putting him on a team with Watt should boost him. Daquan was a perfect fit for Wade's 3-4.

I had to check the draft a few times to make sure Fuller wasn't picked yet. I was thrilled. Drafting him got Brice McCain off the roster. I'm sure people are curious about my Charles Woodson addition. It was cheap and him and Reed together would be interesting. I'd plan using them as a platoon. One active one game. Whoever is hot or has a good record against a certain QB for instance.

OLB is pretty deep looking at it and having Larry Webster on the PS too. He probably will get drafted in real life. So Flowers could be a PS squad guy if Reed can switch to ILB. I signed Beason cause I thought he could have an impact but he often gets hurt so backup plans are always needed.

Damien Williams was the best running back available because he is said to have a solid plant to cut back. Perfect for the scheme. And, he has great catching ability. It was between a signed Michael Robinson or a UDFA JC Copeland. Might be biased cause I'm an LSU fan but I think Copeland is a great FB. I went with Landry in the 5th to get Jean off the roster. Landry won't see much time at WR in his first year but will make his case on special teams. He can block and tackles like a linebacker. Maclin was a surprise. I had to offer a pitch to get him. I didn't expect it cause the money wasn't as high as other offers he got. Him, Dre and Nuke. Love it.

I agree Ben Jones is a Center and not a OG in the NFL. I don't think Brennan Williams ever plays a down for us, his micro fracture knee surgery is a very serious issue, and I have Quesenberry penciled in as the future LG when W. Smith leaves at the end of the season. I really like Gabe Jackson, so I guess you see him as stepping in at LG and then Quesenberry offering serious competition to Newton at RT. That could work.

From what I read Tuitt added weight and has slowed down this year, thus he's not as effective. What has been added can be lost, and an NFL level strength and conditioning program would help him alot.

I can only imagine what Woodson and Reed would teach to our young guys.

We've got Willie Jefferson in waiting at OLB and Trevardo Williams on IR so hopefully one of them can develop into an OLB to replace Reed. I'm hoping it's Jefferson. I think an early OLB would offer some serious competition to the position. Where did Adrian Hubbard go in the draft?

Your not being biased, Copeland should be a stud at FB.

I agree with Landry moving Jean off the roster. If Jean doesn't seriously step up his game he'll find himself unemployed, 3 yrs. on the roster is enough.
biggio7

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, how is this mock looking now? Laughing Laughing

Wolf, I think Hubbard went 4th or 5th round.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggio7 wrote:
So, how is this mock looking now? Laughing Laughing

Wolf, I think Hubbard went 4th or 5th round.

I'd have jumped on him in the 4th round. He'd be a starter at OLB and we could move Reed to ILB. We'd fix 2 position with 1 pick.
canyon1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This draft is looking better and better, BUT our running game is not what it use to be WADE SMITH needs to go and RT is not fixed yet ... We need to FIX all of this ... not saying its going to happen but looks like Kub is going to ride and die with Schaub so help him as much as we can i guess i mean this is only in case if Kubiak keeps Schaub. Adressing OLINE to make our unit one unit. Suggestion is Quessenberry somewhere and either Cameron Erving from FSU or Gabe Jackson from MISS ST. To me i say we double dip and FIX online once and for all have a battle at Guard with Quessenberry and Jackson and a battle for tackle with Newton, Williams, Erving. I am getting desperate ... better OLINE will improve our entire offense.
MLB: Tigers
NHL: Red Wings
NCAAB: Michigan
NCAAF: Michigan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: