Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ryan Mathews
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KushPacker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:25 am    Post subject: Ryan Mathews Reply with quote

Why is he never on the field? he is just entering his prime and his receiving skills are better than brown. it seems like ronnie brown plays a lot more snaps than mathews, but mathews is the better talent. i dont agree.
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: Ryan Mathews Reply with quote

KushPacker wrote:
Why is he never on the field? he is just entering his prime and his receiving skills are better than brown. it seems like ronnie brown plays a lot more snaps than mathews, but mathews is the better talent. i dont agree.

It doesn't make sense. Brown is better pass blocker and smarter route runner, but Mathews should be in on the early downs. I think they feel more comfortable in the red zone with Brown.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
Wilkieray

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not against limiting Mathews in the game due to injury risk but I think he also needs reps. He looks strong running. That's a good sign.
KushPacker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the chargers game management right now is atrocious at best. you're up 28-7 late in the 3rd, and yet, you're still in shot gun playing hurry up. mathews is no where near the playing field. just threw a pick on 1st down up 7. wow chargers. its called running the football, and managing the clock. horrible.
Durandal1707

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with that is the Chargers' offensive line patently sucks at run blocking, so your offense can't really pull much time off the clock if they're going three and out. It doesn't help that even when the line was opening holes, Mathews was trying to run over defenders instead of trying to avoid them.
charger-man

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Durandal1707 wrote:
The problem with that is the Chargers' offensive line patently sucks at run blocking, so your offense can't really pull much time off the clock if they're going three and out. It doesn't help that even when the line was opening holes, Mathews was trying to run over defenders instead of trying to avoid them.

True, Mathews' vision last night was terrible. Being a downhill runner is fine and all, but when you're missing wide open holes it's okay to cutback once in a while.

Mathews did not have a good game especially in the second half when he looked gassed. I think the play calling in the second half was too milquetoast, some RB screens would kept JJ Watt & Co. honest.
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just want to bump this thread and get the opinion on Mathews for the first quarter of the season. To me, he has played better than the numbers indicate, is that accurate or no? I still think he needs more carries and just touches in general. I feel like he will start breaking out more big runs now that Rivers is playing so well. Mathews hasn't exactly faced easy run defenses in the first four weeks either.

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Just want to bump this thread and get the opinion on Mathews for the first quarter of the season. To me, he has played better than the numbers indicate, is that accurate or no? I still think he needs more carries and just touches in general. I feel like he will start breaking out more big runs now that Rivers is playing so well. Mathews hasn't exactly faced easy run defenses in the first four weeks either.

I feel that ever since he came into the league he has passed the "eye test." He runs hard and has substantial speed, only Adrian Peterson and Marshawn Lynch are more punishing runners in my mind than Ryan Mathews.

The problem with Ryan is that he doesn't have the elite balance to shrug off tacklers and break 20+ yard runs. And this season his vision has been noticeably bad, he ignores open cutback lanes to get a guaranteed 4-5 yards. I think he's one of the few examples of a back that's too consistent for his own good. I would like him to occasionally not hit the hole as hard and maybe bounce a couple to the outside. We all know he has the speed to break one the distance.
Zappaz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charger-man wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:

I feel that ever since he came into the league he has passed the "eye test." He runs hard and has substantial speed, only Adrian Peterson and Marshawn Lynch are more punishing runners in my mind than Ryan Mathews.

The problem with Ryan is that he doesn't have the elite balance to shrug off tacklers and break 20+ yard runs. And this season his vision has been noticeably bad, he ignores open cutback lanes to get a guaranteed 4-5 yards. I think he's one of the few examples of a back that's too consistent for his own good. I would like him to occasionally not hit the hole as hard and maybe bounce a couple to the outside. We all know he has the speed to break one the distance.

Dude has the vision of Ray Charles... but its always been like that. Another reason they probably limit him is injury and fumbling since he's been know for both of those things. Also with the addition of Woodhead and how he is playing, it takes away touches.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see a few designed counter runs (cutbacks) to see if we can get him to start seeing lanes. I think his vision can be improved, maybe.
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilkieray wrote:
I would like to see a few designed counter runs (cutbacks) to see if we can get him to start seeing lanes. I think his vision can be improved, maybe.

He seems to have regressed more than anything. He wants to break it outside when there's nothing there, or he misses the holes on the inside and just tries to plow into people.

I'd be happy to give him back to Norv, and go with a Woodhead/Brown/McClain combo.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
Zappaz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
Wilkieray wrote:

He seems to have regressed more than anything. He wants to break it outside when there's nothing there, or he misses the holes on the inside and just tries to plow into people.

I'd be happy to give him back to Norv, and go with a Woodhead/Brown/McClain combo.

Mathews for Josh Gordon... Do ET!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate Matthews. He is the epitome of wasted talent. He has no work ethic, no maturity and no more time on this team. He is the poster boy of the Norv Yurber lackadaisical mindset I've had to endure the last six years.

Athletically he's good but when you factor in the mental and heart aspect of the game he is sorely lacking. Maybe, he salvages a career somewhere else but it won't be here in San Diego.

EverythingSF wrote:
But I do feel Alex is better than Rivers and we may as well not even argue over it here because I am pretty sure neither will change the others mind.
game3525

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mathews has been decent, he has helped us mange the down and distance. But his vision is [inappropriate/removed]-poor and some of this 4-5 runs could have been bigger plays if he saw the field well.

In all, serviceable......but we will likely upgrade in the off-season through the draft.
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrible mistake going out of bounds, but my boy ran hard today!!! Just give him some touches!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: