Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Week 4 @ Tampa Bay Coverage Metrics & Notes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:47 am    Post subject: Week 4 @ Tampa Bay Coverage Metrics & Notes Reply with quote

One thing that you notice about Karlos Dansby, he is a smart player, he is a saavy player, he is good in zone coverages he reads the quarterback and is capable of making plays on the ball, but don't put him in man coverage against anyone he struggles to change directions like he used to be able to and that has hurt him in coverage this year.

Tyrann Mathieu is going to allow a lot of catches in the slot this year. But they are not going to net a large amount of yardage. He is a sure tackler and is never far away in coverage.

The Buccaneers did not really take any deep shots so we did not get to see much of Bell or Jefferson trying to play the deep middle that Rashard Johnson has taken on for most of this season. I would not trust either in that role at this stage.

I'm surprised the Buccaneers did not attack the Williams vs Powers matchup more often. Every time they went that way Williams was getting separation, He also has the size mismatch to make it a distinct advantage for them. Instead they threw the ball repeatedly at Patrick Peterson and well. That was a mistake.

Peterson grabbed two INT's one in man one in zone. The first in Man coverage can be partly blamed on Vincent Jackson who began the drift downfield on his square in route allowing Peterson to attack the football and make the play. The second was just a poorly thrown football and Peterson in his zone was in the right place to make the right play.

We are seeing a lot of Javier Arenas coming in an playing matchup football in coverage, lining up as a linebacker/Slot corner hybrid he has seen himself in 1 v 1 matchups vs Sproles, Watson, Wright and Martin over the past couple of weeks. Putting him on backs out of the backfield and on tight ends has been fruitful.

More on Mathieu, if the opposition does not have a top notch TE I would not have any issues matching Mathieu up on him. He is a very good tackler and can limit YAC, he can make plays on the football and make things happen defensively. However he is not the kind of guy you really want to limit to a single role.

The #BenchBrinkley movement gets their wish this week Daryl Washington arrives back into the starting lineup and will start alongside Dansby. Don't expect to see a dramatic change in the play of the team in coverage however, Washington is not a great cover guy, solid, not great. He has also proven better in man coverage than zone coverage and we have tended to be zone heavy this year in most situations. We tend to play man when we Blitz and I would think Bowles in that situation will be using Washington to rush the passer rather than cover a receiver.

Your eyes are not deceiving you, Darnell Dockett was targeted in coverage. It was quite an interesting play too; 3rd down, Cards rushed 3 and dropped 8. Both safeties dropped into robber roles with the two slot CB's dropping into curl flat zones and the outside corners and the MLB dropping into a deep third each. Karlos Dansby on this play was the deepest defender in the deep middle and I don't mind that at all. Shaped up like a tampa 2 type coverage with the deep MLB and the S's and CB's switching assignments.

Thats it for now. Any questions do not hesitate to ask.
SuperFlyTNT

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Khodder - great analysis as usual. I would personally like to thank coach Schiano for blowing this game for his team. How dumb are you to be throwing the ball with a first game rookie QB to the guy going up against PP21 - especially when your defense has been really good, and our defense has given up a bunch of yards in other places? I wonder now if he's doing some of this on purpose - is he tanking the season?
DJ_Fka

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome as ever khodder.

Ever think of packaging up some of these posts and a cover letter and sending to to say 32 NFL teams or 115 FBS teams looking for a career?

First non american OC/DC/HC in the NFL, would be nice, if you weren't a Kiwi Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: