Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Keyshawn Martin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Keyshawn Martin Reply with quote

Am I the only one who thinks it's about time to move on from the Martin experiment? His biggest strength coming out was that he was an elite prospect at creating separation. He hasnt shown that one bit, and the only thing he is useful for is returns. We could use a deep threat in this offense and Martin is the closest player on our team to be one, but he has been disappointing.

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Keyshawn Martin Reply with quote

Texansfan713 wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks it's about time to move on from the Martin experiment? His biggest strength coming out was that he was an elite prospect at creating separation. He hasnt shown that one bit, and the only thing he is useful for is returns. We could use a deep threat in this offense and Martin is the closest player on our team to be one, but he has been disappointing.

...we're four games into his 2nd year as a pro. Pump the brakes a lil, eh?

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Keyshawn Martin Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
Texansfan713 wrote:

Ummm it's just my opinion. Rolling Eyes
I just feel like he hasnt gotten the job done like I would expect from a 4th round pick thats all.

Last edited by Texansfan713 on Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Keyshawn Martin Reply with quote

Texansfan713 wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
Texansfan713 wrote:

Yes, that it is. Sorry for interjecting it with a bit of fact, will be more mindful of that in the future.

EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Keyshawn Martin Reply with quote

Texansfan713 wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
Texansfan713 wrote:

I just feel like he hasnt gotten the job done like I would expect from a 3rd round pick thats all.

...well, good thing he was a 4th round pick, right? Very Happy

LORK 88

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you suggest we get rid of Keyshawn Martin but keep Lestar Jean?

TEXANS NATION LONGTIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
FFGL 1 Champ = Team Lork
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Keyshawn Martin, no he's not perfect but it's hard to grow as an NFL player when your QB has Andre Johnson tunnel vision and rarely goes elsewhere. He's also competing with Hopkins, OD, Graham, Foster, and Tate for receptions and there aren't that many to go around. I think he's good in the slot but needs to be targeted more often.
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LORK 88 wrote:
So you suggest we get rid of Keyshawn Martin but keep Lestar Jean?

Who said I wanted us to keep Jean?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kubiak learned 1 offense back in the 80's/90's and continues to call it relatively the same today completely ignoring the fact that many of the best receivers in the game are the smallish slot receiver types. Why evolve when Elway/Davis/Sharpe/Smith/McAffery won 2 Super Bowls with Shanny's system 15 years ago? Back then, offense was 2 WRs, 1 TE, 1 FB, 1 RB. He takes the FB out and puts in a 2nd TE on occasion and adds a 3rd WR on 3rd downs. He prefers to have everything look the same so he can run or pass out of base formations, so something CRAZY like having 3 WRs on the field on 1st down would be just too radical for him. He clearly hasn't figured out that most defenses are built on a bend, don't break philosophy and are willing to give up some yards if they know they are going to generate turnovers. He also still hasn't figured out that the days of winning games 17-13 has long passed with the rules opened up to permit QBs and WRs to rack up points in bulk, with FGs viewed as failure, not success. If you wonder why Schaub doesn't get 30 or 40 Tds like others do in this era, look no farther than our stuck in the 80's/90's offense when the great John Elway became a Hall of Famer averaging 19 TDs per season (only exceeding 20 in a season 6 times in 16 seasons and never approaching 30!!!)

The visionary offensive minds actually pay attention to the evolution of talent on both sides of the ball and seek to exploit it. Belichick sees teams generally have 2 decent CBs and a crappy 3rd and lines up Welker EVERY down. He sees linebackers becoming pass rushers and safeties looking like CBs and unleashes a 2 TE offense to exploit the size/speed disparity.

I actually thought for 1/2 a second that Kubiak was on to something last year with Casey as FB, as nobody covers FBs out of the backfield anymore, then he did nothing but turn his TE into a FB and make him a below average lead blocker who occasionally motioned between FB & TE2. The guy is so unimaginative, he still runs the same motion despite having Greg Jones who NOBODY buys being involved as a TE2, so the motion is just a senseless pace killer. He still motions Arian out to a WR spot which is a holdover from when Slaton actually got the ball on those plays, except Arian NEVER does. Seriously, what NFL OC has plays designed for a specific player talent and doesn't throw them out when the personnel it was designed for is no longer around? You don't see Belicheck running the same plays he used for Vareen with Lagarette Blount do you or throwing to Sudfield or Hoomananui like they are Gronk and Hernandez? Heck, we can't even figure out to throw to our #2 WR unless AJ gets hurt, because the 98% of the gameplan is still held over from when Kevin Walter was over there as a "blocking WR" whatever anachronism that was.

Heck, watching the Saints last night I wondered what Kubiak would do with a guy like Sproles. He would surely just plug him into the same dang RB role and get frustrated that he wasn't blocking more or able to convert a run up the middle on 3rd and 1.

Speaking of which - when was the last time you saw ANY team effectively run up the middle on short yardage? Even teams with big offensive linemen fail to get any semblance of push anymore. This strategy worked back in an era when o-lines outweighed d-lines, but somebody has to explain to me how 7 guys pushing one direction (o-line + 2 TEs) has a prayer against 9 guys - 5 or 6 of whom get to get a running start. The physics of this just doesn't work with the level of athleticism of today's d-line & lbs, yet Kubiak continues to think because it worked for Terrell Davis, it should continue to work for us. You have to evolve with the game or perish and the 1 yard dive just isn't a high percentage play anymore when the opponent knows it's coming. Of course, when you still think kicking 28 yard FGs enhances your chances of winning then there is no downside to all those failed running plays inside the 10.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: