Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2012 Baltimore Ravens = 2013 Houston Texans

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: 2012 Baltimore Ravens = 2013 Houston Texans Reply with quote

A lot of similar things between in the Super Bowl champion Ravens and the Houston Texans, besides Ed Reed

1. The Ravens had a decent QB who no one thought could elevate his game enough to lead the team to a Championship. Matt Schuab is in the same position. He has "proven" he cant win and doesnt have the ability to lead us to a super bowl.

2. Ravens suffered some close loses and some blow outs last season. Ravens lost to the Texans by 30 and the Broncos by 17. In fact it seemed like the Ravens couldnt beat a playoff team losing to the Redskins and Bengals as well as none playoff teams in Pittsburgh and Philly. In fact they only beat 2 playoff teams all year in a 1 point victory against New England and a 1-1 split with the Bengals

3. They found success in the playoffs because of 3 reasons
1. They had a running game
2. They played solid Defense
3. The QB got hot
despite all of our worst fears about Schuab, he has been as bad as he is going to get over the first 4 weeks of the season. This is the floor for Schuab, and so the ceiling is much higher. He is perfectly capable of putting together 4 very good games in crunch time

4. The Ravens were a wild card team who played 2 road games in route to the super bowl. I think the texans can kiss the idea of more than just 1 home game goodbye.

All in All the 2012 Ravens teach us that making the playoffs is really all that matters in the regular season. Once we make the post season anything can happen, as we have witnessed over the last few years with several underdog champions

Keep Hope Alive, 1 super bowl ring and all will be forgiven

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 2012 Baltimore Ravens = 2013 Houston Texans Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
A lot of similar things between in the Super Bowl champion Ravens and the Houston Texans, besides Ed Reed

1. The Ravens had a decent QB who no one thought could elevate his game enough to lead the team to a Championship. Matt Schuab is in the same position. He has "proven" he cant win and doesnt have the ability to lead us to a super bowl.

2. Ravens suffered some close loses and some blow outs last season. Ravens lost to the Texans by 30 and the Broncos by 17. In fact it seemed like the Ravens couldnt beat a playoff team losing to the Redskins and Bengals as well as none playoff teams in Pittsburgh and Philly. In fact they only beat 2 playoff teams all year in a 1 point victory against New England and a 1-1 split with the Bengals

3. They found success in the playoffs because of 3 reasons
1. They had a running game
2. They played solid Defense
3. The QB got hot
despite all of our worst fears about Schuab, he has been as bad as he is going to get over the first 4 weeks of the season. This is the floor for Schuab, and so the ceiling is much higher. He is perfectly capable of putting together 4 very good games in crunch time

4. The Ravens were a wild card team who played 2 road games in route to the super bowl. I think the texans can kiss the idea of more than just 1 home game goodbye.

All in All the 2012 Ravens teach us that making the playoffs is really all that matters in the regular season. Once we make the post season anything can happen, as we have witnessed over the last few years with several underdog champions

Keep Hope Alive, 1 super bowl ring and all will be forgiven

I'm with you Pastor, but you left one one VERY important detail. The Ravens had the ballz to fire Cam Cameron in Week 14 and replaced him with Jim Caldwell. Flacco was 2-4 in games where he threw more than 40 passes and 12-2 in games where he didn't including all 4 playoff victories.

People always want to stick Schaub with this "game manager" label, but game managers don't throw 45, 48, 35, and 49 passes especially behind an offensive line missing its Pro Bowl LT 2 games, is playing a clearly injured LG in Wade Smith, and starting a swinging gate 7th round chump at RT.

It just cracks me up that people are now pointing to Alex Smith as some sort of an answer. Guess what, Alex Smith has thrown over 40 passes once in 3 games this season and guess which one he threw 2 picks in? Bad things happen when you corrupt systems like ours by throwing too dang much especially when you are not only tipping your hand by throwing on predictable down and distance, but also doing so with plays players can identify while half awake in film study. One of the reasons Reid was a failure in Philly was that he could never stay committed to the run over the long haul and he kept exposing his QBs to injuries and costly mistakes by dropping them back too much.

The Colts recognized that they were not going to be effective with Andrew Luck throwing 40+ times per game and made a bold trade to go get Trent Richardson. Luck has thrown over 40 exactly once this season and guess which game they lost. He threw 26 vs. SF, played error free and won.

Dolphins sit at 3-0 and guess what, Tannehill has yet to throw 40 passes in a game. Mark my words, if they abandon their game plan and start trying to whip out theirs vs. Brees tonight and Tannehill throws 40+ times, Tannehill will have his first mutliple int game of the season and they will lose. Heck, even the Saints fell apart last year when Brees was throwing too much and I'll even go out on a limb and say the Saints could lose if Brees airs it out 46 times like he has the past 2 weeks.

There are 4 QBs in the NFL that can still win consistently while dropping back 40+ times and they are named Brady, Peyton, Brees, and Rodgers. Other teams fool themselves into thinking they can win this way, but it just doesn't work over the long haul. Where are the calls about Matt Ryan who sits at 1-3 largely because they have fallen into the trap of throwing 40 or even 50 times per game. Remember when Andy Dalton was an efficient game manager? Did you see him just lose to the Cleveland friggin Browns while airing it out 42 times? What's different in RG3's 3 losses vs. 1 win - he threw it 31 times and not 49, 40, 50.

Want me to keep going? Okay. Jay Cutler is suddenly a changed man in Tresman's offense where he stays within himself with victories while throwing 33, 38, 30 passes. This week they play right into the Lions trap of air raid and he throws 47 times including 3 to Lions. Big Ben has thrown more in each successive game including 51 this week, yet Matt Cassel plays opposite him and wins throwing 25 times. Even the young guys hold true as EJ Manuel got beat throwing 42 times against the Jets, yet this week, they let Flacco make all the mistakes and Manuel and the defense cruised with only 22 passes. Even the lowly Browns fit the rule as they tried to give away a win by letting Hoyers success lull them into the security of having him drop back 54 times vs. the Vikings and throw 3 ints, yet this week the reigned it in to 38 and magically, he plays a mistake free game and they win a boring old 17-6 game against a vastly more talented Bengals team that feels they have to feed AJ Green 15 times per game whether he is covered or not.

Ben Tate's fumble aside, this game got effed up when instead of sticking to the run which had been gashing the Seahawks who were even more vulnerable without Michael Bennett up front, Kubiak chose to throw the ball 8 times vs 7 runs in the 3rd quarter despite a 17 point lead and 11 passes vs. 4 (straight) runs in the 4th quarter, and a ridiculous 11 passes vs. 2 runs in OT (basically calling OT like it was another panicky 4th quarter race against the clock instead of reverting to the balanced playcalling that worked so well in the 1st half.

You can blame Schaub all you want, and he effed up that one pass bad, but find me anyone who knows football that wouldn't BLAST a strategy that sends Schaub back behind a duct tape line 30 times AFTER building up a 1st we should coast on except we only ran Foster only 10 times and Tate once. The one pass will continue to receive all the scrutiny, but there are 29 others that somebody also should be screaming about. Kubiak CHOKED this one away as much or more than Schaub did, especially when you consider he also succeeded in destroying the confidence of the guy he HAS to have in the right frame of mind to be successful this season by dropping him back an OBSCENE 53 times against the best secondary in football, knowing he would be crucified if the exact worse case scenario that happened, happened.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good points, but the Tate fumble was just as costly as the Schuab INT.

Our D is playing so dominate that if the offense and special teams would just quit giving away points then we would be 4-0

Our offense as been pretty dominate as well. It's really been bad luck and a few bad plays that keeps messing us up. We owned the best D in football

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive said it before and all continue to say it. Schaub IS a game manager. The run game and defense needs to carry us. If they do we win. He just needs to protect the ball.

I don't like him, but if he protects the ball and we continue to play great everywhere else, we will be ok. But I wish we could have a better "game manager"
jch1911

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
Ive said it before and all continue to say it. Schaub IS a game manager. The run game and defense needs to carry us. If they do we win. He just needs to protect the ball.

I don't like him, but if he protects the ball and we continue to play great everywhere else, we will be ok. But I wish we could have a better "game manager"

+1. You know who he is. Deal with it. Apollo mentioned in another thread that Schaub is an extension of Kubiak. Koobs needs to just put Schaub in situations to succeed.

That being said, I would be for finding another WR (Ricardo Lockette sitting on Chicago's practice squad) who can take a slant and go to the house. Most of our WRs are possession guys: tall; big hands; good at moving the chains; not great deep speed to run away from anyone for a quick score. That move might require waiving LeStar, but I could live with that. Laughing

Moreover, Lockette could help on KRs and special teams as a safety net with his speed to catch someone on a breakaway.
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Apollo said, they fired Cameron week 14. Our equivalent would be Kub handing over the play call responsiblity, which I don't see happening.
texandominance

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
Like Apollo said, they fired Cameron week 14. Our equivalent would be Kub handing over the play call responsiblity, which I don't see happening.

Or firing our ST coach. Which would help a lot
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

texandominance wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:

Or firing our ST coach. Which would help a lot

Ya, our special teams coach needs to go for sure

the thing Kubiak pointed out in his press conference was that Schuab didnt have the option to audible and pretty much had to run the play, which was a bad play...so even though Schuab threw the int, Kubiak took responsibility for it.

I think our offense is twice the offense the Ravens had last season. we have the 4th ranked offense in yards, 9th in pass 7th in rush

our Defense is dominating

here is the tale of it all: PPG 22.5 Points Allowed 26.3 both in the bottom half of the NFL despite being 4th on offense and 1st on defense. this tells me 1 thing, we arent finishing drives and we are giving up points off turnovers. Heck just take away matt's pick 6s and we are 12th in point allowed and probably 3-1 or 4-0, and take away the busted punt return, plus the short field TD after Matts INT opening night and we are looking at a team thats giving up just 17.5 points per game which would be 8th, and that doesnt even calculate FGs off turnovers.

We have 7 turnovers while only forcing 3....thats all bad, very bad, but the good news is that turnovers can be fixed. Schaub is on pace to throw twice as many INTs has he has throughout his career, this number probably wont hold up

Its really been just unfortunate that hes had 3 bad passes that have been returned for TDs, throwing a pick 6 is something most QBs do once a year maybe twice, but in 3 straight games? thats partially just bad luck

we no doubt will get beat up this sunday night, we are horrible in prime time on the road against title contenders, but i think we can rally back and possibly win 6 out of 6 after this and get us in the 8-5 range. It might come down to us against the titans in week 17 for a playoff spot....well not winner gets it, but a win for us would clinch it Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: