Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 Draft Thread We're OTC!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 44, 45, 46  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
texandominance

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always liked Aaron Murry from Georgia. I think he is a guy we could pick up in the mid second round and groom behind Schaub for a year. I know most people don't like Schaub, but you simply can't get rid of your franchise QB just after you give him a new deal. It's complete cap suicide and we have already been up against the cap for years now. We're committed to Schaub for a few more years, love it or hate it
amazingandre

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After this season, Schaubs cap is a non issue
dsorc

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

texandominance wrote:
I've always liked Aaron Murry from Georgia. I think he is a guy we could pick up in the mid second round and groom behind Schaub for a year. I know most people don't like Schaub, but you simply can't get rid of your franchise QB just after you give him a new deal. It's complete cap suicide and we have already been up against the cap for years now. We're committed to Schaub for a few more years, love it or hate it

If the information on spotrac is accurate, cutting Schaub next year would lead to a cap saving of about 4 million. Schaub has a salary of 10 million plus game bonuses of 1 million per year. Cutting him would lead to amortization of 7million from his signing bonus (11-7=4). After this year, money-wise cutting Schaub is certainly possible. Football-wise, however, it may not be the best idea but that is what this whole debate is about.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsorc wrote:
texandominance wrote:

If the information on spotrac is accurate, cutting Schaub next year would lead to a cap saving of about 4 million. Schaub has a salary of 10 million plus game bonuses of 1 million per year. Cutting him would lead to amortization of 7million from his signing bonus (11-7=4). After this year, money-wise cutting Schaub is certainly possible. Football-wise, however, it may not be the best idea but that is what this whole debate is about.

Ahh, I thought he had more, my bad.

I still don't think replacing him with a rookie next year is the right choice. A rookie is going to make the same mistakes as him and we're going to have to suffer through the growing pains next year. Sadly, Schaub is our best bet at QB this year and next.

I'm fine with bringing in a QB in the draft next year. But unless he wins the job in camp, he shouldn't be the starter
treece300e

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

texandominance wrote:

I'm am 100% for Aaron Murray. I think this year's QB class is very intriguing and it there are more "prototypical" QBs that teams will probably aim for. Murray may fall because of the others, but I think he'd be stellar in our offense. His work ethic has drawn comparisons to Drew Brees, and he's a four-year starter at a big time program. If he had played in the Big-10 and was once a TE, he'd certainly be a Texan.
kanedafx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

texandominance wrote:
dsorc wrote:
texandominance wrote:

I still don't think replacing him with a rookie next year is the right choice. A rookie is going to make the same mistakes as him and we're going to have to suffer through the growing pains next year. Sadly, Schaub is our best bet at QB this year and next.

I'm fine with bringing in a QB in the draft next year. But unless he wins the job in camp, he shouldn't be the starter

Every year we give Schaub another chance is another year we don't win a Superbowl while our window with Andre, Arian, Watt, Cushing...etc. grows smaller and smaller.
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

texandominance wrote:
dsorc wrote:
texandominance wrote:

Whether Schaub is replaced by a rookie next year or the year after, we're going to have those growing pains. I'm thinking it's better to bite the bullet and get it over with as soon as possible. What's everyone opinions on A.J. McCarron or Marcus Mariota?
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

texandominance wrote:
dsorc wrote:
texandominance wrote:

Whether Schaub is replaced by a rookie next year or the year after, we're going to have those growing pains. I'm thinking it's better to bite the bullet and get it over with as soon as possible. What's everyone opinions on A.J. McCarron or Marcus Mariota?
ServantofYHWH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolf6151 wrote:
texandominance wrote:
dsorc wrote:
texandominance wrote:

Absolutely hate the bolded. Collegiate game manager and nothing more.
texandominance

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treece300e wrote:
texandominance wrote:

I'm am 100% for Aaron Murray. I think this year's QB class is very intriguing and it there are more "prototypical" QBs that teams will probably aim for. Murray may fall because of the others, but I think he'd be stellar in our offense. His work ethic has drawn comparisons to Drew Brees, and he's a four-year starter at a big time program. If he had played in the Big-10 and was once a TE, he'd certainly be a Texan.

I think these are the reasons he could be a Texan. We wouldn't have to use a 1st round pick on him, he has started for four years at a great school and has played against great defenses. He has an arm (although he is a little bit of a gunslinger but so was Favre and no one talks about the INTs). He has some good speed and moves well. His one big knock is he is is only 6'1''.
treece300e

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An early mock draft on Walterfootball has us drafting #10 overall (based off his current Power Rankings). Here are the 3 rounds:
Round 1: CJ Mosely, ILB Alabama
Round 2: Zach Mettenberger, QB LSU
Round 3: Ed Stinson, DE/DT Alabama

Personally, I like Mosely a lot, but I don't know about #10 overall. To have two first-round ILBs in a 3-4 just doesn't make sense. Having just re-signed Cushing, I don't think it's in our best interest to draft another so early, but it definitely needs to be addressed. I'm of the opinion that we should draft a CB. Looking at this draft board, we'd have the #1 CB, which could be Purifoy. Joseph looks like he's taken a step back, and Kareem has shown that he's pretty much peaked as he can't fix some of his key flaws. Someone mentioned moving him to SS, which I think could be a very good option if we go CB in the 1st round.

I've been advocating Aaron Murray for a while, and I think he's more pro-ready in every facet than Mettenberger, with the exception of size. Murray has shown good feet and the ability to run at times. He's settled into his role as a pocket passer, but has shown he can still run. See his 57 yarder against Tennessee. I also like Stephen Morris over Mettenberger.

I think ILB Eric Kendricks would be a solid fit. He needs to put on some weight, but he plays the pass well and would help in pass coverage. Teams have been exploiting Mays' poor pass defense, and will continue to do so. Kendricks may not be great on obvious run downs, but I feel like it's easier to find a "thumper" ILB. This may also be the place to draft another OT or G.

Personally, if we're drafting #10 overall, I'd look for us to trade back. The CBs this year strike me more as last 1st rounders. Picking up an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick would be great. We need to fill holes at OT, FS, ILB, QB, CB. I'd also be on board with moving Brooks Reed inside so we can draft an OLB, or see what we have in one of our younger guys.

Last edited by treece300e on Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
biggio7

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ Two Bama players? I'm throwing up already. Laughing But at least you have Zach in there.

I'm not fully sold on Zach just yet. I want to see him for the rest of the year. He has clearly improved with Cam Cameron, so it might be apparent he could handle the NFL offensive style. Zach often will throw the ball to Landry, Beckham or anybody really and expect the WR to make the play on the ball more often than not. He has grown with chemistry big time towards those two. So, drafting him would take a year at least to get comfortable with his WRs in the NFL.

To be honest, I've heard Mosely has taken a step back this year and often gets lost in the shuffle. Purifoy is the best corner at Florida but he is another who plays hard on the WRs ala Kareem. If he can't change his technique, it won't benefit the Texans. Also, against LSU he was beat numerous times by Landry and Beckham. That's a tough one, cause he is not Joe Haden.

A trade down would be nice if the Texans have such a high pick. But, depending on how the rest of the season goes with Schaub, Yates and Keenum, if the Texans aren't seeing positive things from any of them, I'd figure they stay where they were and draft a QB.

Adopt a Texan: Mr. Kareem Jackson
FFBB; Suule o nerte!
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My latest mock starts off as:

1. Loucheiz Purifoy-CB
2. Aaron Murray-QB
3. James Hurst-OT
4. Tre Boston-FS

As much as I want to add some early round LB help, I think we'll have rely on the development of Trevardo Williams, Justin Tuggle, and Willie Jefferson. We've just got to many team needs right now.
treece300e

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggio7 wrote:
^^ Two Bama players? I'm throwing up already. Laughing But at least you have Zach in there.

I'm not fully sold on Zach just yet. I want to see him for the rest of the year. He has clearly improved with Cam Cameron, so it might be apparent he could handle the NFL offensive style. Zach often will throw the ball to Landry, Beckham or anybody really and expect the WR to make the play on the ball more often than not. He has grown with chemistry big time towards those two. So, drafting him would take a year at least to get comfortable with his WRs in the NFL.

To be honest, I've heard Mosely has taken a step back this year and often gets lost in the shuffle. Purifoy is the best corner at Florida but he is another who plays hard on the WRs ala Kareem. If he can't change his technique, it won't benefit the Texans. Also, against LSU he was beat numerous times by Landry and Beckham. That's a tough one, cause he is not Joe Haden.

A trade down would be nice if the Texans have such a high pick. But, depending on how the rest of the season goes with Schaub, Yates and Keenum, if the Texans aren't seeing positive things from any of them, I'd figure they stay where they were and draft a QB.

In case it was misconstrued, this wasn't my mock draft, nor did I agree with it. However, I do agree that if Purifoy can't stop being overly physical then he will struggle in the NFL. I actually like Roberson more than Purifoy.
canyon1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Tajh Boyd QB
2. Cameron Erving OL
3. Denzel Perryman ILB
4. Damian Swann CB

This is my Mock draft so far if we draft #10
MLB: Tigers
NHL: Red Wings
NCAAB: Michigan
NCAAF: Michigan

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Page 2 of 46

Jump to: