Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Sam Martin garners NFC Special Teams Player of the Week hono

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stylish313

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Sam Martin garners NFC Special Teams Player of the Week hono Reply with quote

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/25/sam-martin-garners-nfc-special-teams-player-of-the-week-honors/
Quote:
Martin, who had a 72-yard punt to begin the fourth quarter of the Lions’ 27-20 victory at Washington, was named the recipient of the conference’s weekly special teams honor by the NFL on Wednesday. The fifth-round pick from Appalachian State averaged 52.5 yards on six punts, posting a 40.7-yard net average.
Well deserved. Our season could've looked completely different if Martin was a Lion last season. Maybe even Hanson could've lasted another year or two, with Martin handling KO's.

Draft pick well spent.
DrRay11

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Sam Martin garners NFC Special Teams Player of the Week Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/25/sam-martin-garners-nfc-special-teams-player-of-the-week-honors/
Quote:
Martin, who had a 72-yard punt to begin the fourth quarter of the Lions’ 27-20 victory at Washington, was named the recipient of the conference’s weekly special teams honor by the NFL on Wednesday. The fifth-round pick from Appalachian State averaged 52.5 yards on six punts, posting a 40.7-yard net average.
Well deserved. Our season could've looked completely different if Martin was a Lion last season. Maybe even Hanson could've lasted another year or two, with Martin handling KO's.

Draft pick well spent.

Completely agree. Maybe we can spend a 5th this year on a place kicker. Oh wait, Mike Thomas.

/facepalm
Rockcity

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny I didn't think he played that great last week. I think our st looks much better this year. I'm not for kicking the ball through the endzone on every ko. A lot of TO happen on st. If they have like a hester back there than different story.

Idk if that was the plan in the washington game but he could barely get it to the endzone. His punts looked short too with not enoigh hang time imo.he looks good tho and hopefullywill just get that leg stronger
stylish313

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockcity wrote:
Funny I didn't think he played that great last week. I think our st looks much better this year. I'm not for kicking the ball through the endzone on every ko. A lot of TO happen on st. If they have like a hester back there than different story.

Idk if that was the plan in the washington game but he could barely get it to the endzone. His punts looked short too with not enoigh hang time imo.he looks good tho and hopefullywill just get that leg stronger
They're not giving a punter player of the week unless he did a great job. Martin has been tremendous, and after knowing how last season played out I'm completely for kicking it out of the end zone every opportunity we get.
stafford=legend

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockcity wrote:

I didn't think he looked that great either. He was never able to pin them inside the 20 all game and that's what a punter is supposed to be able to do.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
Rockcity wrote:

They're not giving a punter player of the week unless he did a great job. Martin has been tremendous, and after knowing how last season played out I'm completely for kicking it out of the end zone every opportunity we get.
ha last year was a nitemare. But I think they look better. If it ain't someone good I don't see the problem. I see turnovers being had on STs.
Louis Friend

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stafford=legend wrote:
Rockcity wrote:

I didn't think he looked that great either. He was never able to pin them inside the 20 all game and that's what a punter is supposed to be able to do.

Actually, the punter is supposed to punt the way thats best suited for the team. Our team can't tackle. I'll take a touchback everytime if it means avoiding return TDs or giving the other team great field position, hurting our defense. I'll take fundamental football over highlights everytime.
EnglishLion20

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant argue with it, 6 punts at an avg of 52.5, kids got a great leg, and if that stops teams returning on us....just boot it out the end zone, id rather give our defense 80 yards of field, than risk a big return, especially as our Coverage teams and special teams tackling has been suspect for a long long time.

Soccer Forums Most Underated Poster 2012 Award Winner.
detfan782004

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liked the pick. Love his leg stength. Stllthnk he could do kicking duties too. Glad he gets touch backs. Stupid to hope for turnover that are rare on ST. TB every time is huge bonus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was the first time a Lions punter has been named the ST player of the week in 20 years. Congrats to him. Very well deserved. Great pick by the Lions.
detroitroar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So glad we took him.

Pick well spent.

ThugCityGrunt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockcity wrote:
I see turnovers being had on STs.

A see a bunch tds from last year.

There is no reason to support letting teams return kickoffs on our team after what we saw from the the previous season.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
Liked the pick. Love his leg stength. Stllthnk he could do kicking duties too. Glad he gets touch backs. Stupid to hope for turnover that are rare on ST. TB every time is huge bonus

Did he do it in college? Having one guy kick and punt would be great. 1 extra roster spot.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThugCityGrunt wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:

Did he do it in college? Having one guy kick and punt would be great. 1 extra roster spot.

Yes he has kicked in college

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: