Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Brock Osweiler's value
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
AKRNA


Joined: 28 May 2008
Posts: 5111
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thing to consider here. Brock is pretty good insurance in case PM goes down.

Granted losing PM would be huge, but the FO has assembled quite a team around him. As good as the team is, I think they'd still have a chance at a championship with Brock, whereas with Dysert, season over.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
broncosfan_101


FF Fanatic
Moderator
Joined: 17 Dec 2004
Posts: 13020
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul-mac wrote:
The only thing that worries me a bit would be if Manning plays another 2 seasons after this one and wants to play on still after that, and then Brock would be out of contract and probably getting cold feet.


Maybe someone might pry him away


This right here. If PFM plays beyond next season, Osweiler runs out of contract. At that point, we risk having to pay open market price, without seeing him in meaningful game action. After next year, assuming Dysert continues progressing and PFM sticks around, I'd guess that Osweiler gets traded and ZD becomes the protege.
_________________
big_palooka wrote:
Lomax taking home the MVP. Good choice. Solid poster and BP hater Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
germ-x


Joined: 06 Apr 2009
Posts: 7817
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncosfan_101 wrote:
paul-mac wrote:
The only thing that worries me a bit would be if Manning plays another 2 seasons after this one and wants to play on still after that, and then Brock would be out of contract and probably getting cold feet.


Maybe someone might pry him away


This right here. If PFM plays beyond next season, Osweiler runs out of contract. At that point, we risk having to pay open market price, without seeing him in meaningful game action. After next year, assuming Dysert continues progressing and PFM sticks around, I'd guess that Osweiler gets traded and ZD becomes the protege.


I don't see how this is a worry though. Denver has more insight on Brock Osweiler's talent than anyone. If anything i think this type of situation is advantageous for the Broncos. Denver will have more knowledge than any other team on Osweiler's worth and if he does end up being worth franchise type money Denver will likely get him on a long term contract at a bargain rate (as no team is going to give him close to franchise QB type money). If he isn't Denver can trade him or let him walk if the contract he is commanding is ridiculous based on what he has shown the Broncos.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
broncosfan_101


FF Fanatic
Moderator
Joined: 17 Dec 2004
Posts: 13020
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for his value RIGHT NOW, it can't be less than a 1st rounder, can it? It would leave us without a suitable backup, we invested a 2nd rounder plus a season of development, and is still only 22 years old. And while I do like the depth of the 2014 QB class from what I've seen, it's still TBQB and then a bunch of guys who should go between 25-64. I'd rank Osweiler 2nd among QB prospects on draft day.
_________________
big_palooka wrote:
Lomax taking home the MVP. Good choice. Solid poster and BP hater Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
broncosfan_101


FF Fanatic
Moderator
Joined: 17 Dec 2004
Posts: 13020
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

germ-x wrote:
broncosfan_101 wrote:
paul-mac wrote:
The only thing that worries me a bit would be if Manning plays another 2 seasons after this one and wants to play on still after that, and then Brock would be out of contract and probably getting cold feet.


Maybe someone might pry him away


This right here. If PFM plays beyond next season, Osweiler runs out of contract. At that point, we risk having to pay open market price, without seeing him in meaningful game action. After next year, assuming Dysert continues progressing and PFM sticks around, I'd guess that Osweiler gets traded and ZD becomes the protege.


I don't see how this is a worry though. Denver has more insight on Brock Osweiler's talent than anyone. If anything i think this type of situation is advantageous for the Broncos. Denver will have more knowledge than any other team on Osweiler's worth and if he does end up being worth franchise type money Denver will likely get him on a long term contract at a bargain rate (as no team is going to give him close to franchise QB type money). If he isn't Denver can trade him or let him walk if the contract he is commanding is ridiculous based on what he has shown the Broncos.


Sure, we'll have the advantage, but that doesn't mean everything. It's still a big risk to pay someone who hasn't played, and it only takes one stupid team to offer big cash to the guy to put him into the 'questionably worth it' zip code. Who knows though? We could win the Super Bowl this year and see PFM leave at the top of the mountain.
_________________
big_palooka wrote:
Lomax taking home the MVP. Good choice. Solid poster and BP hater Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
germ-x


Joined: 06 Apr 2009
Posts: 7817
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncosfan_101 wrote:
germ-x wrote:
broncosfan_101 wrote:
paul-mac wrote:
The only thing that worries me a bit would be if Manning plays another 2 seasons after this one and wants to play on still after that, and then Brock would be out of contract and probably getting cold feet.


Maybe someone might pry him away


This right here. If PFM plays beyond next season, Osweiler runs out of contract. At that point, we risk having to pay open market price, without seeing him in meaningful game action. After next year, assuming Dysert continues progressing and PFM sticks around, I'd guess that Osweiler gets traded and ZD becomes the protege.


I don't see how this is a worry though. Denver has more insight on Brock Osweiler's talent than anyone. If anything i think this type of situation is advantageous for the Broncos. Denver will have more knowledge than any other team on Osweiler's worth and if he does end up being worth franchise type money Denver will likely get him on a long term contract at a bargain rate (as no team is going to give him close to franchise QB type money). If he isn't Denver can trade him or let him walk if the contract he is commanding is ridiculous based on what he has shown the Broncos.


Sure, we'll have the advantage, but that doesn't mean everything. It's still a big risk to pay someone who hasn't played, and it only takes one stupid team to offer big cash to the guy to put him into the 'questionably worth it' zip code. Who knows though? We could win the Super Bowl this year and see PFM leave at the top of the mountain.


You're right, it doesn't, but i'll take Denver's potential position on the situation over any other. You're also right, we could win it all this year and Manning could retire a champion and i wouldn't blame him.

I still know that at this point i have no problem with the Osweiler selection and never will. Manning's future at his age seems to be on a year to year evaluation and overall i don't think Denver could have drafted a more talented player at QB at the draft positions Denver has been at and will be at under Manning.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
broncosfan_101


FF Fanatic
Moderator
Joined: 17 Dec 2004
Posts: 13020
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Six years ago, the Texans paid a guy $50M after giving up two high 2nd's for him, who had thrown 150 NFL passes. Will we be that confident in Osweiler? That's pretty friggin risky.
_________________
big_palooka wrote:
Lomax taking home the MVP. Good choice. Solid poster and BP hater Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
germ-x


Joined: 06 Apr 2009
Posts: 7817
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncosfan_101 wrote:
Six years ago, the Texans paid a guy $50M after giving up two high 2nd's for him, who had thrown 150 NFL passes. Will we be that confident in Osweiler? That's pretty friggin risky.


Just about anything at that position is risky unless you hit on a mid/late round pick in the draft that develops into a legitimate player.

Signing Peyton Manning after his surgery was risky, drafting any QB in the 1st round or even 2 rounds is risky. Giving an FA QB a big contract in general is risky. That's all part of the position and i feel gives Denver a big advantage on Osweiler should his contract run out before he is the starter. As i said, Denver would have more knowledge and evaluation on him than anyone and, IMO, that would increase their chances.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
thebestever6


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 2153
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

germ-x wrote:
broncosfan_101 wrote:
Six years ago, the Texans paid a guy $50M after giving up two high 2nd's for him, who had thrown 150 NFL passes. Will we be that confident in Osweiler? That's pretty friggin risky.


Just about anything at that position is risky unless you hit on a mid/late round pick in the draft that develops into a legitimate player.

Signing Peyton Manning after his surgery was risky, drafting any QB in the 1st round or even 2 rounds is risky. Giving an FA QB a big contract in general is risky. That's all part of the position and i feel gives Denver a big advantage on Osweiler should his contract run out before he is the starter. As i said, Denver would have more knowledge and evaluation on him than anyone and, IMO, that would increase their chances.

I think Denver will know where Brock is where Manning retires. Take the packers with Rodgers I think they knew that he was a good player or else they would of let Favre come back instead of going to the jets. They had to know something to let a HOF go.
_________________
Props to Deadpulse for the Sig:

Big Palooka wrote:
"They don't have to worry about him making consistent passes. They will win another 2-3 max with him at QB."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
thebestever6


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 2153
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Brock Osweiler's value Reply with quote

paul-mac wrote:
Basically some guys on the Browns forum want Osweiler and I pretty much said that
A - He's not for sale and
B - Given that we spent a second rounder on him, and invested a yer of time and money into his training, the lowest price we'd trade him for would be a first round pick.


What they're saying is Joe Thomas to Denver for Von Miller AND Osweiler AND a draft pick.

Now I reckon that would be a horrible deal for us as once Clady returns we'd need to cut either him or Thomas anyway.

What thread and page is it on the browns forum?
_________________
Props to Deadpulse for the Sig:

Big Palooka wrote:
"They don't have to worry about him making consistent passes. They will win another 2-3 max with him at QB."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JerseysFinest27


Joined: 07 Jan 2010
Posts: 8233
Location: New Jersey... Props to inDENguise on the sig
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this team trades Osweiler for a pick, theres two likely things happening behind the scenes:
1. Peyton will play beyond his contract.
2. Dysert is proving to be a better player than Osweiler.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
thebestever6


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 2153
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:
If this team trades Osweiler for a pick, theres two likely things happening behind the scenes:
1. Peyton will play beyond his contract.
2. Dysert is proving to be a better player than Osweiler.


Eh, you're too black and white there is a grey are with some variables. One can be Brocks value if a team offers a serious offer that can change things. Two, what if Elway likes a handful of prospects in this class. It could even be a combination of what you said. I have a feeling if Brock was trades dysert wouldn't be the only backup on the roster.
If we took less than a first or second you're statement would be 100% accurate.
_________________
Props to Deadpulse for the Sig:

Big Palooka wrote:
"They don't have to worry about him making consistent passes. They will win another 2-3 max with him at QB."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JerseysFinest27


Joined: 07 Jan 2010
Posts: 8233
Location: New Jersey... Props to inDENguise on the sig
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebestever6 wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
If this team trades Osweiler for a pick, theres two likely things happening behind the scenes:
1. Peyton will play beyond his contract.
2. Dysert is proving to be a better player than Osweiler.


Eh, you're too black and white there is a grey are with some variables. One can be Brocks value if a team offers a serious offer that can change things. Two, what if Elway likes a handful of prospects in this class. It could even be a combination of what you said. I have a feeling if Brock was trades dysert wouldn't be the only backup on the roster.
If we took less than a first or second you're statement would be 100% accurate.


Bottom line is that if Osweiler gets traded, the front office doesnt think he is their QB of the future. You dont trade a young quarterback if you think hes going to be a starter eventually. It just doesnt happen, even if the front office likes a QB in the draft. Draft prospects are unknown. Banking on an unknown prospect means even worse for Osweiler. If the team would rather take a shot on a player, thats never seen a day in NFL, then the QB thats sat on the roster for 2 years and watched Peyton Manning go to work everyday, says a lot.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
thebestever6


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 2153
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:
thebestever6 wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
If this team trades Osweiler for a pick, theres two likely things happening behind the scenes:
1. Peyton will play beyond his contract.
2. Dysert is proving to be a better player than Osweiler.


Eh, you're too black and white there is a grey are with some variables. One can be Brocks value if a team offers a serious offer that can change things. Two, what if Elway likes a handful of prospects in this class. It could even be a combination of what you said. I have a feeling if Brock was trades dysert wouldn't be the only backup on the roster.
If we took less than a first or second you're statement would be 100% accurate.


Bottom line is that if Osweiler gets traded, the front office doesnt think he is their QB of the future. You dont trade a young quarterback if you think hes going to be a starter eventually. It just doesnt happen, even if the front office likes a QB in the draft. Draft prospects are unknown. Banking on an unknown prospect means even worse for Osweiler. If the team would rather take a shot on a player, thats never seen a day in NFL, then the QB thats sat on the roster for 2 years and watched Peyton Manning go to work everyday, says a lot.


It's all about risk versus reward the Broncos have to look at risk versus reward. Say the Broncos are 60% confident with Brock going forward but Manning wants to play two years after this season or three. If Manning isn't slowing down and a team like the Cardinals comes calling offering a high first because Arians wants a vertical passer to run his offense how do you say no to that. You still have time to develop a young signal caller. Say than the Broncos have high grades for three qbs who will be available at the end of round one I'd understand the move.

What really may clear everything up or make it worse is say Denver locks their position In the playoffs by week 17 does fox sit him. Right now many has the most attempts passing wise threw the first three games. His arm is aging. I think a week to rest it towards the end may help. So if Brock starts the final game and plays well all bets are off. Teams seem more inclined to pay more for the unknown especially if he has a 300 yard 2 TD performance.
_________________
Props to Deadpulse for the Sig:

Big Palooka wrote:
"They don't have to worry about him making consistent passes. They will win another 2-3 max with him at QB."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AZ_Eaglesfan


Joined: 03 Jan 2013
Posts: 5576
Location: Arizona
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, read through some of the discussion here, didn't see what I was looking for so here is my question: Do you guys think Brock is a future starter in this league? If so how good?

I am a ASU student a fan, but I haven't followed Brock at all in the NFL. I was hoping for some insight.
_________________


disaacs wrote:
The Eagles are going to implode. Book it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group