Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How close were Leaf and Manning coming out?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thebestever6

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:03 am    Post subject: How close were Leaf and Manning coming out? Reply with quote

The draft has always been intriguing to me because of the importance of the hits and misses.I want honest opinions never really followed the draft til 2002 . I bring this up because if they were as close as some say how much would it of taken for the chargers to move up to one instead of two. It just is mind blowing to think how much the landscape of the NFL and AFC west would of changed.

Big Palooka wrote:
"They don't have to worry about him making consistent passes. They will win another 2-3 max with him at QB."
Reaver

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I recall correctly, they were very close in ability coming out. Manning with the precision, work ethic, and mental aspects (and skill, obviously, he was the no. 1 pick afterall) and Leaf with the athleticism and rocket arm. I believe the Colts were seriously considering Leaf with the No. 1 overall pick rather than Manning.
paul-mac

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reaver wrote:
If I recall correctly, they were very close in ability coming out. Manning with the precision, work ethic, and mental aspects (and skill, obviously, he was the no. 1 pick afterall) and Leaf with the athleticism and rocket arm. I believe the Colts were seriously considering Leaf with the No. 1 overall pick rather than Manning.

I'm sure Bill Polian said they graded out evenly on the actual physical side of the game, but Peyton got the edge based on his meetings and interviews and personality.
7DnBrnc53

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that the Colts weren't even looking at Leaf that much, and that they had decided on Peyton well in advance.
bobdevine

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before the draft many scouts thought Leaf was the better athlete with more potential, size, strength, and raw talent than Peyton Manning. Manning was considered more polished and mature. Manning was viewed as having a lower ceiling who didn't step up in big games. Leaf had the better arm.

Leaf actually won his first two starts. In retrospect, Leaf was a 1-year wonder who melted down under the pressure.

Peyton Manning, Charles Woodson, and Ryan Leaf prior to the 1998 NFL draft

7DnBrnc53

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:52 am    Post subject: Bill Walsh Reply with quote

I found out later that Bill Walsh suggested that the Colts select Charles Woodson #1 overall, and then take Brian Griese in the second round.
OrangeNBlue86#2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peyton forgot his belt that day.
iLikeDefense

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Growing up in San Diego, hearing the Leaf and Manning debate all the time. I recall, the Colts interviewed both Leaf and Manning (seperately). The Colts liked Manning as he was proper, knowledgeable and was humble. Leaf on the other came off as arrogant, proudful and cocky. Had the Chargers been picking #1, Manning would have been a Charger (unless he pulled a Sheli on them) and Leaf most likely a Colt.

^ Joe_is_the_best with the sig.
thebestever6

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone watch the book of manning? I loved when Cooper said Peyton was so worried about being prepared that he over prepared that's him in a nut shell.

Big Palooka wrote:
"They don't have to worry about him making consistent passes. They will win another 2-3 max with him at QB."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leaf was physically superior to Manning coming out. He had an absolute cannon for an arm, and could make every throw imaginable. Manning was much more mature and intelligent. I remember running into someone once who went to school at Wash State during that time. We got to talking about football and Leaf came up. He said that Ryan was a total punk, and NO ONE liked him there. He was a star QB, but off the field, he wasn't a very popular guy because of his attitude. He called him "the most unbelievable prick you've ever met in your life" or something to that effect.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember following this one closely. In a nutshell, the physical potential went to Leaf, with Manning not far behind. We all know Peyton doesn't have, by NFL standards, a huge arm. But the big debate at the time was the accuracy. Peyton was considered the more accurate QB. Leaf had the big potential. I think it came down to the interviews, and the more "pro ready" guy at the time. I'm quite sure the Colts are happy with their decision.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: