Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The O-Line: Once Great/Now Terrible

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jgoldiscool

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: The O-Line: Once Great/Now Terrible Reply with quote

Quote:
"Our linemen are punks," one frustrated Falcons player told NFL Media columnist Michael Silver this week.
Quote:
Following a season-opening loss to the New Orleans Saints, Falcons coach Mike Smith called out his front five for failing to come to the aid of quarterback Matt Ryan after a late hit by Saints rookie safety Kenny Vaccaro.

Link 1 Link 2

These articles made me think about how much our offensive line has changed . Obviously the personal has changed a lot but the nature of this line has changed dramatically. We were once called the dirtiest line and were criticized for blocking past the whistle. Yet, now you see none of that. A shell of the former line that once featured Dahl elbow dropping people and a mean streak. Pushing people after the play eneded, blocking people down the field, getting in there faces. I wanna see that fire, the intent to protect our 100 million dollar gem. It's not just the line though. It's like our team has the mindset to just do enough to get by and not put teams away. Get ahead and hit cruise control.

Just something that has been in my mind the past few hours. Thoughts? I could expand on this if needed too.

XBL GT: l JGOLD l Adopt a Falcon | LB | Paul Worrilow
adam9

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Punks lol. I bet that player wouldn't say that to big Holmes' face Laughing

They are quite bad collectively, though.

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the OL (like the rest of the team) needs to gel together. The Falcons don't have some of the old veteran leadership and this year is a changing of the guard if you will to truly be Spoon's defense and Ryan's offense.

they OL (at least the LG to RT group) looked much better this past game. Reynolds surprisingly has been rock solid in pass pro against a good group of DT's. Holmes looked much better this week by not getting thrown around in the run or the pass game.

Dirty Bird Watch: DL Jonathan Babineaux
Jgoldiscool

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam9 wrote:
Punks lol. I bet that player wouldn't say that to big Holmes' face Laughing

They are quite bad collectively, though.
I would. Dude looks like a gentle giant.

XBL GT: l JGOLD l Adopt a Falcon | LB | Paul Worrilow
DirtyBird4L

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just reading those articles before I came here and I couldn't agree more. We have lost all intensity and fire. The entire line should have been sprinting over to Matt after Vaccaro's blatant late hit. It's one thing to throw a punch and get a flag or possible ejection, it's another to get in someones face and let them know what's up. They look soft out there collectively as a group.

Our coaching staff needs to make some changes as far as halftime antics go as well. I feel like players moms come in the locker room with CapriSun's and snacks and rub everyone's backs and tell them how wonderful they played. It's time to get mean and fired up. How many games have we come out flat as hell in the 3rd quarter to let teams back in the game? How many times have we blown huge leads with soft play and soft playcalling? Gonzo hit the nail on the head, "we need to keep our foot on the pedal and finish".
SpoonFed56

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't agree more. I'm really starting to wonder what is going on. I feel like a broken record. It's always the same s***... We play very aggressive in the first qtr and build up a lead, then just suddenly go super conservative and let teams back in the game??? I want to see us play aggressive for a full 60 minutes. Really wondering when this is gonna actually change.

#FreeToddGurley
terrell123

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpoonFed56 wrote:
I couldn't agree more. I'm really starting to wonder what is going on. I feel like a broken record. It's always the same s***... We play very aggressive in the first qtr and build up a lead, then just suddenly go super conservative and let teams back in the game??? I want to see us play aggressive for a full 60 minutes. Really wondering when this is gonna actually change.
Coaching. Mike Smith = Bobby Cox. Mr. Conservative. Reg season Coach of the year, etc........My wife said she was going to the store when the Falcons were up 24-3 on the Rams. She said since this game is in hand, do you wanna go with me? I said this game is just starting. That's why I call them the 1st half Falcons. Mike Smith tries to hold on to a lead by coasting, instead of putting the pedal to the medal and winning the freakin game. That's just who he is. Mr. Conservative. Run the ball up the middle, kick some fg's, and hold on for dear life. Been going on since day 1. No matter who the opponent is.
ShockdAtFalcons

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

terrell123 wrote:
SpoonFed56 wrote:
Coaching. Mike Smith = Bobby Cox. Mr. Conservative. Reg season Coach of the year, etc........My wife said she was going to the store when the Falcons were up 24-3 on the Rams. She said since this game is in hand, do you wanna go with me? I said this game is just starting. That's why I call them the 1st half Falcons. Mike Smith tries to hold on to a lead by coasting, instead of putting the pedal to the medal and winning the freakin game. That's just who he is. Mr. Conservative. Run the ball up the middle, kick some fg's, and hold on for dear life. Been going on since day 1. No matter who the opponent is.
Well.. I wouldn't say that's an entirely fair or accurate way of looking at it.

If you'll recall, the reason that we lost each of the last three playoff games was because we had no formidable run game and ended up failing on many risky calls (4th down conversions vs giants, interceptions in clutch pivotal moments against Green Bay and San Fran) and such aggressive risky playcalling sent a lot of criticism Ryan and Smitty's way for essentially throwing games away when they should have had a run game to keep the defense honest and maintain the tempo of the game instead of giving up multiple momentum shifting turnovers.

Now, Ideally as an offense and a team in general you want to be able to take those risky calls and be ballsy because that's what brings out the biggest display of talent/ability essentially and is much of what makes football a completely unique exciting spectacle. But sometimes you need to have some ground and pound or defenders will eventually make a play from the film they've been watching all week and turn the tide of the game in an instant.

2013 Foster a falcon
SS William Moore: 85 Tackles, 3 FFs, 3 INTs.
WR Harry Douglas: 85 rec, 1,067 yards, 2 TDs.
SpoonFed56

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShockdAtFalcons wrote:
terrell123 wrote:
SpoonFed56 wrote:

If you'll recall, the reason that we lost each of the last three playoff games was because we had no formidable run game and ended up failing on many risky calls (4th down conversions vs giants, interceptions in clutch pivotal moments against Green Bay and San Fran) and such aggressive risky playcalling sent a lot of criticism Ryan and Smitty's way for essentially throwing games away when they should have had a run game to keep the defense honest and maintain the tempo of the game instead of giving up multiple momentum shifting turnovers.

Now, Ideally as an offense and a team in general you want to be able to take those risky calls and be ballsy because that's what brings out the biggest display of talent/ability essentially and is much of what makes football a completely unique exciting spectacle. But sometimes you need to have some ground and pound or defenders will eventually make a play from the film they've been watching all week and turn the tide of the game in an instant.

Some of the aggressive play calling has been so predicable though. Back to back QB sneaks on 4th down when we lost to New York for example... But that's the past. We have a whole season ahead of us and our sub-par offensive line is gonna come back to bite us in the a**. On top of this the injury bug has hit us HARD. First it was Johnson, Ewing can't stay healty to save his life, Spoon is starting to gain the "injury prone" reputation, Biermann is gone for the season, Samuel is banged up (although our trio of Trufant/Alford/McClain seem to be playing nicely together...), and SJax is out 2-4 weeks I believe. Like I have been saying, the failure to bolster our trenches will be a major problem for this team.

#FreeToddGurley
terrell123

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpoonFed56 wrote:
ShockdAtFalcons wrote:
terrell123 wrote:
SpoonFed56 wrote:

Some of the aggressive play calling has been so predicable though. Back to back QB sneaks on 4th down when we lost to New York for example... But that's the past. We have a whole season ahead of us and our sub-par offensive line is gonna come back to bite us in the a**. On top of this the injury bug has hit us HARD. First it was Johnson, Ewing can't stay healty to save his life, Spoon is starting to gain the "injury prone" reputation, Biermann is gone for the season, Samuel is banged up (although our trio of Trufant/Alford/McClain seem to be playing nicely together...), and SJax is out 2-4 weeks I believe. Like I have been saying, the failure to bolster our trenches will be a major problem for this team.
Exactly.
SpoonFed56

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What really bothers me is how we rewarded Baker after one good season... Oh and it was a contract year (coincidence?). We could have signed Jake Long or Bushrod for CHEAPER than Baker. Baker's inflated contract and his poor play will cripple this franchise for a while. I understand TD wanted to retain talent, but the Baker signing was a huge mistake. Way to go TD. Confused

#FreeToddGurley
GSUeagles14

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpoonFed56 wrote:
What really bothers me is how we rewarded Baker after one good season... Oh and it was a contract year (coincidence?). We could have signed Jake Long or Bushrod for CHEAPER than Baker. Baker's inflated contract and his poor play will cripple this franchise for a while. I understand TD wanted to retain talent, but the Baker signing was a huge mistake. Way to go TD. Confused

What do you mean one good year?

If baker is healthy hes been pretty good throughout his career. Also, do you know how much of a cap hit we take if we cut him after the first year? How about the second? This isn't baseball, contracys aren't guarenteed.
scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSUeagles14 wrote:
SpoonFed56 wrote:

If baker is healthy hes been pretty good throughout his career. Also, do you know how much of a cap hit we take if we cut him after the first year? How about the second? This isn't baseball, contracys aren't guarenteed.

It's 8M to cut him before the 3rd league day. After that, it'd be 12M to cut him.

His cap hit is 6.05M too. So it's just a 1.95M cap difference to rid him from the books.

GSUeagles14

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scar988 wrote:
GSUeagles14 wrote:
SpoonFed56 wrote:

It's 8M to cut him before the 3rd league day. After that, it'd be 12M to cut him.

His cap hit is 6.05M too. So it's just a 1.95M cap difference to rid him from the books.

You can probably explain better than Im understanding, but it seems like Bakers contract is essentially a 3 year deal. The cap hit starts to get a little higher after that and what it will cost to cut him dramatically decreases.
scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSUeagles14 wrote:
scar988 wrote:
GSUeagles14 wrote:
SpoonFed56 wrote:

You can probably explain better than Im understanding, but it seems like Bakers contract is essentially a 3 year deal. The cap hit starts to get a little higher after that and what it will cost to cut him dramatically decreases.

yeah pretty much. the Falcons are only really stuck with him for 2 years if that. If they cut him before the 3rd league day of next season, his 2014 salary and his 2014 option bonus won't be guaranteed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: