Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Takeaways from Chargers vs Eagles
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Duffman57


Joined: 20 Jan 2009
Posts: 8180
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
Duffman57 wrote:
The LBC wrote:
- Edge-rusher may just end up being a greater need in the 2014 1st round than LOT is - especially if we have the opportunity to pick up an uber-athlete Aldon Smith type of player who is rough around the edges but can be used in obvious pass-down purposes as a rookie behind Freeney. I'm starting to buy into the notion that D'Alessandris' blocking scheme doesn't require an "elite" LT, merely a competent one and chemistry among the line is much more important.


I've been saying this for a while. But i'm not sure that there's any super athletic pass rushing types outside of Barr, and he may go top 5 (despite him being very raw, and struggles heavily getting off blocks). I guess possibly Mack, but i dont really see that many great edge rushers in this class. And Aaron Lynch has looked absolutely Horrible at USF.

Yet to be seen how he runs and what his advanced metric look like, but I think there's still potential in Jackson Jeffcoat, as well as guys like Trent Murphy and Deion Barnes.


I dont know about them. Murphy just doesn't seem like an OLB to me, i think he'd be better fit as a 3-4/4-3 DE hybrid type, that can kick inside on passing downs. Jeffcoat from what i saw before, doesn't really impress me too much. He seems like more of a hustle edge rusher than a guy who can win with power or burst off the edge.

Breslin, Ronald Powell, Mack, Hubbard and some others are all really interesting to me. I'm not sure i see a whole ton of great pure pass rushers but there is some potential...
_________________

Bolt Up Comrades!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The LBC


Global Moderator
Joined: 12 Jan 2008
Posts: 22839
Location: Where We Can't Have Nice Things
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duffman57 wrote:
The LBC wrote:
Duffman57 wrote:
The LBC wrote:
- Edge-rusher may just end up being a greater need in the 2014 1st round than LOT is - especially if we have the opportunity to pick up an uber-athlete Aldon Smith type of player who is rough around the edges but can be used in obvious pass-down purposes as a rookie behind Freeney. I'm starting to buy into the notion that D'Alessandris' blocking scheme doesn't require an "elite" LT, merely a competent one and chemistry among the line is much more important.


I've been saying this for a while. But i'm not sure that there's any super athletic pass rushing types outside of Barr, and he may go top 5 (despite him being very raw, and struggles heavily getting off blocks). I guess possibly Mack, but i dont really see that many great edge rushers in this class. And Aaron Lynch has looked absolutely Horrible at USF.

Yet to be seen how he runs and what his advanced metric look like, but I think there's still potential in Jackson Jeffcoat, as well as guys like Trent Murphy and Deion Barnes.


I dont know about them. Murphy just doesn't seem like an OLB to me, i think he'd be better fit as a 3-4/4-3 DE hybrid type, that can kick inside on passing downs. Jeffcoat from what i saw before, doesn't really impress me too much. He seems like more of a hustle edge rusher than a guy who can win with power or burst off the edge.

Breslin, Ronald Powell, Mack, Hubbard and some others are all really interesting to me. I'm not sure i see a whole ton of great pure pass rushers but there is some potential...

The league is evolving though and we're seeing more and more 3-4 OLB's that are beating these more athletic LT's with length and strength, the requisites really are that they need fluid enough hips to at least stand a chance to drop into zone or flip to pursue running backs on screen routes and enough burst off the line to be able to convert speed to power. Aldon Smith and Chandler Jones aren't beating guys because they're outquicking them or blowing them off the line, rather they're getting good leverage and using their length and strength to drive a guy back until they're either able to turn the corner on them or get a swipe at the QB.

You and I look like we're seeing different things in Jeffcoat. My biggest concern is that he's a guy who's benefiting a lot from being able to time the snap-count very well (not a bad quality to have, but not something that's wholly dependable long-term), but he does appear to have a good speed-rush game, and is likely someone who needs to add more strength to combat more technical LT's (Joeckel didn't own him per say, but he stonewalled Jeffcoat's bull-rush with solid technique every time JJ tried to bull-rush last year). What I'm keen to watch this year is to see if his power-rush ability improves with improved hand-placement (last year's his left a lot to be desired and his leverage game suffered for it).

I like Hubbard, but I truly worry about his ceiling - in fact, I'm similarly concerned with Murphy in that regard as I think Stanford prospects are going to similarly suffer in the manner that Alabama prospects do - in that they are so well coached that what you see is what you get by the time they enter the league. I'd much prefer to bank on ceiling and upside - and our coaching staff - than high floor with limited ceiling. Far more often than not, the teams that have ended up with elite pass-rushers did so because they were willing to invest early in high-upside and develop it the rest of the way necessary.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Duffman57


Joined: 20 Jan 2009
Posts: 8180
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
Duffman57 wrote:
The LBC wrote:
Duffman57 wrote:
The LBC wrote:
- Edge-rusher may just end up being a greater need in the 2014 1st round than LOT is - especially if we have the opportunity to pick up an uber-athlete Aldon Smith type of player who is rough around the edges but can be used in obvious pass-down purposes as a rookie behind Freeney. I'm starting to buy into the notion that D'Alessandris' blocking scheme doesn't require an "elite" LT, merely a competent one and chemistry among the line is much more important.


I've been saying this for a while. But i'm not sure that there's any super athletic pass rushing types outside of Barr, and he may go top 5 (despite him being very raw, and struggles heavily getting off blocks). I guess possibly Mack, but i dont really see that many great edge rushers in this class. And Aaron Lynch has looked absolutely Horrible at USF.

Yet to be seen how he runs and what his advanced metric look like, but I think there's still potential in Jackson Jeffcoat, as well as guys like Trent Murphy and Deion Barnes.


I dont know about them. Murphy just doesn't seem like an OLB to me, i think he'd be better fit as a 3-4/4-3 DE hybrid type, that can kick inside on passing downs. Jeffcoat from what i saw before, doesn't really impress me too much. He seems like more of a hustle edge rusher than a guy who can win with power or burst off the edge.

Breslin, Ronald Powell, Mack, Hubbard and some others are all really interesting to me. I'm not sure i see a whole ton of great pure pass rushers but there is some potential...

The league is evolving though and we're seeing more and more 3-4 OLB's that are beating these more athletic LT's with length and strength, the requisites really are that they need fluid enough hips to at least stand a chance to drop into zone or flip to pursue running backs on screen routes and enough burst off the line to be able to convert speed to power. Aldon Smith and Chandler Jones aren't beating guys because they're outquicking them or blowing them off the line, rather they're getting good leverage and using their length and strength to drive a guy back until they're either able to turn the corner on them or get a swipe at the QB.

You and I look like we're seeing different things in Jeffcoat. My biggest concern is that he's a guy who's benefiting a lot from being able to time the snap-count very well (not a bad quality to have, but not something that's wholly dependable long-term), but he does appear to have a good speed-rush game, and is likely someone who needs to add more strength to combat more technical LT's (Joeckel didn't own him per say, but he stonewalled Jeffcoat's bull-rush with solid technique every time JJ tried to bull-rush last year). What I'm keen to watch this year is to see if his power-rush ability improves with improved hand-placement (last year's his left a lot to be desired and his leverage game suffered for it).

I like Hubbard, but I truly worry about his ceiling - in fact, I'm similarly concerned with Murphy in that regard as I think Stanford prospects are going to similarly suffer in the manner that Alabama prospects do - in that they are so well coached that what you see is what you get by the time they enter the league. I'd much prefer to bank on ceiling and upside - and our coaching staff - than high floor with limited ceiling. Far more often than not, the teams that have ended up with elite pass-rushers did so because they were willing to invest early in high-upside and develop it the rest of the way necessary.


Yeah, i went back and watched Jeffcoat, and didn't see what i saw before at all...haha That was what i remembered from when i was watching Okafor. He burst is solid, very good jump off the snap and your right did have some speed rush to him.

Agree on Hubbard/Murphy neither are going to be great pass rushers IMO. We really don't need another guy like that, as we already have JJ and Ingram, both are solid but never going to be elite pass rushers IMO.

Mack looks good, but again, its yet to be seen as he blew up vs Ohio, but hasn't really done anything since in the next two games...
_________________

Bolt Up Comrades!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group