Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Do the Lions Need a Shake-up
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
TL-TwoWinsAway


Joined: 19 Feb 2008
Posts: 25821
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
Rockcity wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
usedaschwartz wrote:
If we need a game-winning drive, I'd play Shaun Hill. Stafford has continually shown over the last 2 years he can't win those close games.

... what?
hell if I no

Stafford has 8 of what qualifies as "comeback victories" in his career. That makes me feel very comfortable about having him in the last minute of a game. I would even go as far as to say it is a strong point of his, very above average at a minimum. Now if someone would want to throw Hill in the first quarter, I couldn't disagree wholly. Stafford does seem to start slow, but the flip to that is he might not get into the flow and might not be as good in the second half as he usually is without that 1st quarter to stall in.

If only Calvin wouldn't have dropped that pass last week...
_________________


Team Stylish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FootballPhreak


Joined: 09 Oct 2007
Posts: 35466
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
Rockcity wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
usedaschwartz wrote:
If we need a game-winning drive, I'd play Shaun Hill. Stafford has continually shown over the last 2 years he can't win those close games.

... what?
hell if I no

Stafford has 8 of what qualifies as "comeback victories" in his career. That makes me feel very comfortable about having him in the last minute of a game. I would even go as far as to say it is a strong point of his, very above average at a minimum. Now if someone would want to throw Hill in the first quarter, I couldn't disagree wholly. Stafford does seem to start slow, but the flip to that is he might not get into the flow and might not be as good in the second half as he usually is without that 1st quarter to stall in.

If only Calvin wouldn't have dropped that pass last week...

I am not certain what one play has to do with me talking about a career long issue, but it sure would have been nice if he caught it, I agree.
_________________
Draft_FanAddict wrote:
If that doesn't concern you, I don't know what would...a missing head?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
detfan782004


Joined: 01 Apr 2005
Posts: 50744
Location: Montana
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usedaschwartz wrote:
If we need a game-winning drive, I'd play Shaun Hill. Stafford has continually shown over the last 2 years he can't win those close games.


Stafford had what 12 incomp? 7 drops. Yep such a bum he would have had 5 incompletions entire game
_________________


AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TL-TwoWinsAway


Joined: 19 Feb 2008
Posts: 25821
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
Rockcity wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
usedaschwartz wrote:
If we need a game-winning drive, I'd play Shaun Hill. Stafford has continually shown over the last 2 years he can't win those close games.

... what?
hell if I no

Stafford has 8 of what qualifies as "comeback victories" in his career. That makes me feel very comfortable about having him in the last minute of a game. I would even go as far as to say it is a strong point of his, very above average at a minimum. Now if someone would want to throw Hill in the first quarter, I couldn't disagree wholly. Stafford does seem to start slow, but the flip to that is he might not get into the flow and might not be as good in the second half as he usually is without that 1st quarter to stall in.

If only Calvin wouldn't have dropped that pass last week...

I am not certain what one play has to do with me talking about a career long issue, but it sure would have been nice if he caught it, I agree.

I didn't provide context. My bad. It was a comeback drive slowed by a drop, which isn't Stafford's fault. To state that Hill should play on comeback drives because Stafford "can't win those games" ignores the fact that his supporting cast let him down.
_________________


Team Stylish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheROARisBACK


Joined: 22 Jan 2011
Posts: 3466
Location: Motor City
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get all the commotion about Burelsons route... He was having success running that route all game–picking up YAC off of broken tackles. I'm pretty sure that's what they were banking on and Mathieu made a great tackle. Hardly worth getting cut over.

And overall Linehan's play calling has been solid. He's getting the backs involved, moving around CJ (although he's always been good at getting him the ball), and getting back to the solid RZ play-calling of 2011 i.e. pick routes and fades. Most importantly, he's utilizing the right match-ups. The problem against Arizona was execution. In the first half we had one drop (that bounced off Burelsons chest), in the second we had 6; 3 by Bell and 2 by Pettigrew that killed drives. Ultimately the one by Calvin proved most crucial although he was clearly interfered with.

Both could be upgraded, but you aren't going to find any better options at this time.
_________________
Team Stylish


Last edited by TheROARisBACK on Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FootballPhreak


Joined: 09 Oct 2007
Posts: 35466
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
Rockcity wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
usedaschwartz wrote:
If we need a game-winning drive, I'd play Shaun Hill. Stafford has continually shown over the last 2 years he can't win those close games.

... what?
hell if I no

Stafford has 8 of what qualifies as "comeback victories" in his career. That makes me feel very comfortable about having him in the last minute of a game. I would even go as far as to say it is a strong point of his, very above average at a minimum. Now if someone would want to throw Hill in the first quarter, I couldn't disagree wholly. Stafford does seem to start slow, but the flip to that is he might not get into the flow and might not be as good in the second half as he usually is without that 1st quarter to stall in.

If only Calvin wouldn't have dropped that pass last week...

I am not certain what one play has to do with me talking about a career long issue, but it sure would have been nice if he caught it, I agree.

I didn't provide context. My bad. It was a comeback drive slowed by a drop, which isn't Stafford's fault. To state that Hill should play on comeback drives because Stafford "can't win those games" ignores the fact that his supporting cast let him down.

Certainly I agree. I have always kind of wished we would run the hurry up and let Stafford make more calls because the end of the game when that is the circumstance, he seems much better IMO.
_________________
Draft_FanAddict wrote:
If that doesn't concern you, I don't know what would...a missing head?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group