Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Sharpton hurt again....concussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:17 am    Post subject: Sharpton hurt again....concussion Reply with quote

I found this on another site and thought yall might be interested. Someone please tell me why or how this guy is still on the team?

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2013/09/darryl-sharpton-dealing-with-a-concussion/
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Sharpton hurt again....concussion Reply with quote

Wolf6151 wrote:
I found this on another site and thought yall might be interested. Someone please tell me why or how this guy is still on the team?

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2013/09/darryl-sharpton-dealing-with-a-concussion/

I'm no big DeVier Posey fan, but his determination to make the 53 man roster and be able to contribute is certainly helping change my mind a bit.

I'm not sure at this point if the Texans are just letting their hearts cloud their judgement with Sharpton, if they are getting a bit "creative" on his behalf to increase his $ settlement, or if they are just being duped by him. Follow the timeline:

I don't question the legitimacy of his 2011 injury as it was a complete quad tendon rupture which is certainly a serious injury. Typical recovery is 6 months with peak muscle strength sometimes taking a year. There were certainly rumblings at the time that it was a career threatening one though. This is where the timeline gets suspect and self-serving however:

October 2011 - Surgery
April 2012 - 6 month mark - Texans don't draft ILB
July 2012 - Has "setback" in camp but is expected back "in a few weeks"
Sept 2012 - Placed on PUP for hip injury
Nov 2012 - finally activated from PUP in Week 11 over a year after injury
Week 12 injury report - neck/knee/hip injury
Week 13 injury report - knee/hip
Weeks 14-17 injury report - "toe"
Week 17 - placed on IR fro a "Hip Injury"
Feb 2013 - pronounces himself 100% (just in time for free agency & draft prep). Texans dont draft or sign an ILB
May 2013 - somehow is deemed too unhealthy to participate in offseason activities
July 2013 - shows up to camp with a surprise "groin injury" and placed on PUP again. Texans forced to go fishing for Joe Mays at ILB.
August 2013 - Sharpton finally activated after missing 9 days of camp; he plays in the Minny & Dolphins game
Aug 17 2013 - Aug 25 2013 - it's totally unclear when Sharpton gets his "concussion", but Hopkins got his on 8/17 and we got near daily updates
for him.
August 29, 2013 - NFL settles concussion lawsuit
August 30, 2013 - cutdown day - Texans keep a record 11 LBs!
Sept 5, 2013 - First news of Sharpton's concussion surfaces

I smell a RAT folks! I don't know if the Texans are party to this or the victims of it, but it sure seems to me that Sharpton's mission was to ensure he made the opening day roster so his 2013 salary would be guaranteed. The Texans couldn't cut Sharpton without an injury settlement if he claimed to be injured and likely didn't want to IR him since his entire $765k salary would count against the cap. It sure seems VERY suspect that this "concussion" issue pops up the week after a $765 million settlement that includes a provision for current players who retire with "neurological illness."

The way I see it, Sharpton's career was effectively over in Oct 2011 and this is just another scheme for him to squeeze some $$ before he hits the pasture. Don't forget that his first cousin, Al Sharpton was an early entrant into concussion "debate" testifying before the judicial committee in 2010. Maybe it's all legit, but if Sharpton happens to be cut after the roster spot is needed next week for Antonio, he might as well be the guy putting the garden hose to his drapes after the hurricane, as this reeks of him trying to shoehorn his quad injury into parlaying 2 years of actually playing under a rookie deal into a high dollar concussion settlement. Sucks he got hurt - but there isn't a $765 million fund for victims of career ending quad injuries.

To be clear, this is completely unsubstantiated theory, but in the absence of ANYONE in the Houston media asking any questions about this and the bizarre nature of the "concussion protocol" story popping up weeks later, people like me are going to start coming up with their own theories in the absence of any actual information from the player or the team. Stay tuned...

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay - lest anyone accuse me of only pointing out the negative, Sharpton indeed played this week and looked pretty sharp in doing so. If he can hold up physically, he's pretty clearly a better player than Mays, and can do some positive things for us. I still don't think he's good enough to justify our failure to address this position given his injury history, but I'll take what we get from him while he can give it. Of course, I certainly just jinxed him to the next season injury...

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: